21 Front Street South, Queenston, L0S 1L0, Canada

• Accommodations for family wedding

This was a perfect place for our family and guests to stay for our son's wedding in Queenston. We rented the bungalow next door to the inn as well as 13 or 14 rooms in the two-story motel. The bungalow had a BBQ and a well-equipped kitchen, as well as two bedrooms and plenty of living space so that we could entertain our family and friends the night before the wedding. Another hotel would not have had the facilities that allowed us to do this. As well, breakfast was available each morning at a modest cost. The owners and their son were very kind and helpful. Rooms were air-conditioned, clean and comfortable and reasonably priced. South Landing Inn was a perfect solution to our need to have all our family and friends together and gave us a place, as parents of the groom, to entertain friends and family the night before the wedding!

Unique Quality: The rooms, although not modernly decorated, we're clean and comfortable with good outside seating areas.

Directions: Down the hill from Brock's monument.

More about Queenston

Brock MonumentBrock Monument

Travel Tips for Queenston

Queenston Heights - History and Canadiana

by CdnJane

"History with a view"

The Brock Monument, if you have the nerve to climb it, gives a spectacular view over the Niagara Region... and on a clear day, across Lake Ontario to Toronto.
The monument was built in recognition of General Brock who led the British forces in the War of 1812 against the Americans. Remember, at that time, this area was a British colony under the name of Upper Canada, not a sovereign country. If you have been to the Niagara region you will realise the close proximity of the the United States to Upper Canada - easily a cannon blast, if not a rifle shot. (Ok, so I have no idea about distances and firearms of the day, but you get the general drift.)
General Brock is most famous for leading the incredibly outnumbered troop of British regular army, Upper Canadian militia, and Shawnee Indians. The battle of Queenston can found described at the following website: http://www.generalbrock.com/level2/queenston.htm But, I digress....
Today we welcome our American neighbours to Queenston Heights with open arms! *smile*
The village of Queenston down below is, I gather not having checked it out for all the times I've gone by it, very interesting with a museum or two. Laura Secord house is there - no, not a house made of chocolate - but that of the lady made famous for leading her cow past American troops to warn the British of an American attack. (Historian Pierre Berton claims that this could not physically happen - the distance too great for her to have accomplished in the timeframe, but he wasn't there, so what does he know???? *wink* And besides, it is a great tale.) http://www.canadianencyclopedia.ca/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&ArticleId=A0006614 will take you to a website description of the village of Queenston.
Besides the Brock Monument - which I've only climbed once in my life as a 12 yr old and was absolutely terrified, but then I wasn't good with heights and confined spaces - there is lots of space for families to picnic, children to play, and also the Queenston Heights restaurant and the incredible view.
You can easily access Queenston Heights park - it is at the junction of the Niagara Parkway, as you drive south from Niagara-on-the-Lake, or up from Fort Erie and Niagara Falls, and the exit from Hwy 405. (Directions from Toronto: Take the QEW to Niagara Falls. Shortly after crossing the Garden City Skyway in St. Catharines, exit to your LEFT and take the 405 to Queenston. Take the Queenston exit and make a left turn on the Niagara Parkway. )

I m driving in my car

by nighthawk

and in the meanwhile look round for a nice shot....which we found...some nice parks but we did not visit there because of the weather and also we wanted to get home!

This for sure must be beautiful in spring/summer but now, in the snow and with only the possibility to take a shot from the road and with all the electricity poles and wires in the back...it s good enough since I can read what s written on this flowerclock but I sure would love to see it with the flowers blooming!

Comments