La France Terrace Motel

1608 Ashmun Street, Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, 49783, United States

More about Sault Sainte Marie

Sault Sainte Marie locator map!Sault Sainte Marie locator map!

Inside lockInside lock

NorgomaNorgoma

Is Sault Ste. Marie french or english

by JJJolin

With a name like Sault Ste. Marie, I would think the local language would be French. Some people have told me differently. Can you help?

JJ

by ljbs

Like many places in the US and Canada, Sault Ste. Marie was name by French explorers who were the first Europeans to visit the area-- which the English later won from the French.

by MURRA

The voyageurs in 18 century went across canada leaving french named towns . its an americanized english speaking town very woodsy manitoulin isle is nearby quite scenic

by Kodi01

No very american and a great place to visit!

by Easty

There are many town names in the Upper Midwest and Ontario that are French. But the area is 100% English speaking.

by rmdw

But if there's a "Harvey's" restaurant you can likely get some "poutine"!

Palo,

Do you know what poutine is?! If so, how?!? Even many Canadians outside of Quebec have no idea what this "delicacy" is!

Robert

by kemptonjones

Poutine is always a great favorite on the menus of most restaurants throughout the Province of Saskatchewan. . .
parce que Saskatchewan sait faire...
Bon appetit!

by Kodi01

SSM is known for their taffy and island fudge! Many flavors!

The movie "Somewhere in Time" starring Christoper Reeve and Jane Seymour was filmed there.

No cars are allowed on the island, just horse and buggy, except for the filming of the movie.

by SHAWNA20

Just to add a little note, I am Canadian, in which, I know many many canadians, and it is safe to say, everyone I have met knows and has had a "poutine"!

by SHAWNA20

by Buttercup7

Actually, the island with no cars and lots of fudge is Mackinac Island, in Michigan, a few hours south of Sault Ste. Marie. We have plenty of cars up here, perfect for taking a drive up Highway 17 to see the fall colours at this time of year!

And while most people here speak English, you may very well hear some French, or even Italian or Finnish.

Oh, and if you're looking for good poutine, try the West Side Cafe, on Queen St. W., right near the bridge and across from the Ontario Travel Info Centre - deeelicious.

by soccergrrl

errrrrm, isn't Sault Ste. Marie famous for its locks, where you can watch ships (or at least big boats) come through a canal? At least, that's what I remember from being there as a kid . . .

by Buttercup7

Yep, the locks are one of the bigger attractions. The big ships pass through the American side and smaller boats on the Canadian side, though you can see the ships from either side - I have a view of the river from my office and there have been quite a few that have gone by today.

You can take a walk around the locks area on either side, and there are boats cruises that pass through the locks as well - a different perspective on the cities!

by hrhcanada

Re: Sault Ste. Marie being famous for taffy and fudge - only if you visit the tourist shops across from the Locks in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan (twin city to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario).

As for Somewhere In Time - it wasn't filmed here - rather on Mackinac Island which is about 60 miles drive south of "Soo" Michigan AND about 20 more minutes by ferry.

Travel Tips for Sault Sainte Marie

Sault Ste Marie

by sherri11

"Soo"

I went to tha Soo for the first time when I was about 12. I went for my friends b-day. Didnt really see much, but oh well. The last time I went was last year, in may I think. That time, I went to go visit 2 of my friends, Lorie and Kris, I met a couple of other people too. I had fun. seen more this time. Me, Kris and her mom went to Sault College for Kristins sister Sam's Grad.

Comments