3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Stratford

Dedication BenchDedication Bench

Ontario StreetOntario Street

The monument from afarThe monument from afar

Detail of the façadeDetail of the façade

A good B and B. in Stratford.. Please//

by sedona2

I have the tourist brochures
but can you please recommend a good
B and B.. close to .. shops etc
but not noisy,, cozy
and for walking in daytime

thanks..

Is the bus statione near to these spots
or train better.

.. Sedona
travel September...

RE: A good B and B. in Stratford.. Please//

Hi,
I think this is the B&B where my former sister-in-law stayed: Spindles
If not this place, then I have heard of it before with possitive comments.
Hope that this stays. We were driving, so not sure if the distance they say is true for the bus or train. Haven't actually ever taken either to Stratford, so no help there.
Good luck,

Jane

RE: A good B and B. in Stratford.. Please//

by hawkhead

Whoops, and here was me thinking you were talking about Stratford (upon Avon) UK!!

by CdnJane

hawkhead, did you not realise that the Bard came over to Canada? Think Sir Francis Drake zipped him over on his Golden Hind! Actually our Stratford Shakespearean Festival Theatre was built about the same time as the theatre was rebuilt in England after the fire. Personally, I've found our theatre is more comfortable and better viewing than the one on your side of the Big Pond. But our Stratford is on the river Thames, too, I think. I do know that we have some Royal Swans there. It is a lovely community. We have 3 theatres in Stratford (or is it 4) that goes for the season (May to Nov), but it is the main Festival Theatre that has the Bard's plays shown. Down the road to Stratford is the small hamlet of Shakespeare!
We also have, at Niagara on the Lake, the Shaw Festival. Plays there are either by George Bernard Shaw or written in the same era (I think that is right).

by hawkhead

Yes, I did know, you know! I have been there and in fact, I lived in Canada for 20 years and even made an award winning film about the building of the Stratford Theatre! It's just when names like Stratford and Perth and Halifax come up, there is a great deal of presumption that everyone knows which one it is! Sorry, I can't recommend a B & B.

by CdnJane

Hawkhead, Apologies for jumping to the assumption that you wouldn't know these things.
Funny what places jump to mind when you hear placenames given.
I hear Hull and I think of Hull Quebec, across the river from Ottawa. Sydney will always be Australia to me, but apparently there was a travel agent who thought of Sydney Nova Scotia and sent a couple there after the Utah Olympics, I think it was! They must've thought they'd got a price break, you'd think... although there are a lot of other things I might've wondered!
I hear Tobermory, and I think of Scotland, whereas others are often referring to Ontario Canada. Anyway, we still haven't really come up with a B&B in Stratford.

by sedona2

Hi there.. to both of YOU..

Thanks for the input..
that's okay.. and how true it is

though about these names.. actually, I believe
there is a Toronto in California is there not..

anyway, Ill check into it Jane..
tks..

talk to you all later

Sedona

by CdnJane

I know there is a Toronto in NSW, Australia not too far from the Hunter Valley.
Is there a Toronto in Calif? I wouldn't doubt it. Of course, there is Ontario, California which has confused many people seeing Ontario,Ca written!
What play(s) are you going to see?

Hi Jane..

tks for that.. whoops.. I believe it is
Ontario.. I meant to say
worked California so long ago

I am not going to a play, just visiting
and enjoying, hiking if the trip
takes place. Not a lot of time to spend there.

Eating lots of course, and meeting people.

Sedona ... :)))

Travel Tips for Stratford

Thames River , Stratford

by RACCOON1

The Stratford Festival has been running since July 1953 when the first plays were performed under a tent.

Now ( 2004) the season runs from April 17 to Nov 7 , with 14 different plays , of which half are Shakespeares.

Plays are preseneted in four theatres , the Festival ( the biggest and best ) , the Avon , the Studio and the Tom Patterson .

Attendance is around 600,000 each year. Reservations are recommended .

Tickets come in a variety of packages . It is best to visit their web site.

Shakespeare turns in grave, but tourists love it

by tamasbr

"Lake Embankement"

Picturesque Lake in the center of Stratford, excellent place to relax, stroll, watch the ducks and geese or to take your dog for a stroll.

"Dedicated to the one I love"

Along the lake embankements and the island in the lake, there are these cast iron benches each one with a dedication to someone near and dear.
Some mark an engagement, some a dear friend, whilst a few remember the passing of a wife or husband.

"Boating on the Lake"

Tickets for a play at the Festival for the worst seats start at $50. Shakespeare, who wrote to entertain and enlighten the masses, would be suprised to find that his plays now entertain the well-off. For the rest of us, we can spend our time in nature, on the lake, boating and strolling.

The Bard is Alive and Well

by Bunsch

"A Festival of Theater!"

2007 marks the 55th anniversary of the largest classical repertory company in North America, the Stratford Festival of Canada. For at least the last forty of its years, my family has been well represented during the season. Stratford was close enough for Detroiters to make a weekend of it; it is well within driving range for those in New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio as well as Canadians from Ontario and Quebec. And if you're into plays, making the trek is a kind of pilgrimage. (Buffs like to take in Niagara-on the Lake, while they're at it, for the Shaw Festival.) The original Festival Theater has now been joined by several other stages, making it possible in four days to see six or seven plays. It is expensive, if not by New York standards, but the quality is there. We've gone back annually simply because it is an excellent experience, and it is a thrill to see the younger generation getting hooked!

Further information, including the full season brochure, is available at www.stratford-festival.on.ca

"A lovely city on the Avon"

Stratford has several things in common with its English namesake, including the snooty swans that make their home on the little islets in the Avon. But chiefly, it is a city which caters to the theatrical crowd, with an eclectic group of restaurants (all accustomed to getting patrons out for the curtain), trendy shops (my favorite toy store in the world is located here), and recreational activities. You can easily make a day of it, strolling around the central core of the city; you can rent a canoe and paddle around on the Avon. But it is also entertaining to explore a little farther afield. In nearby St. Mary's, for example, there is a quarry which has long been converted into a swimming hole -- formally, that is, with the addition of a diving tower, lifeguards, etc. -- which is always on our "must visit" list.

Comments