Brockdan Motor Inn

butterfly on leaf 2butterfly on leaf 2

Travel Tips for Sudbury

Simon Lake - equally good for kids and adults

by Faiza-Ifrah

We found Simon Lake to be safe for children as there was a play area for them and the lake waters were shallow so they could really enjoy splashing water.

The adults went out for canoing and hiking on the trails. While hiking alongside the major road (but remaining within the conservation area) and then going on the other side of the lake, we found heavily forested area with a panoramic view of the lake from that side. However, while forest slowly decended on the lakeshore, we found some rocks quite slippery.

Nickel City

by Trisha12

"Sudbury, Rez City."

Sudbury is the closest city to our little rez of Wikwemikong. It's only 2 hours away, so while visiting the city, you will eventually meet up with one of your neighbours. There are many things to do here, the popular Sience North and Dynamic Earth are always a fun stop. The New Sudbury Center Mall is complete with Sears, Wal-Mart, Sport Check, a food court, and many other name brand stores. The city has two theaters; Sliver City and Rainbow Cinemas. It's a great place for a fresh start, no wonder why many people from the rez come here, it's filled with possibilities. Sudbury is my home city, I don't know how many times I have been there, I recommend it if you just want a night out with family or friends.

"Know it like the back of my hand..."

When visiting Sudbury, I know it like the back of my hand. I know where each street leads to and where it comes out. I can identidy where a store or restaurant is located if someone were to ask me. My auntie and I were talking (and she lives in Sudbury) and my cousin asked her if there was a Wendy's in Sudbury somewhere. My auntie said that she didn't think that there was. I laughed because I knew that there was a Wendy's located on The Kingsway (or dealership way as I like to call it due to all the car dealerships located on the street). The arena is old, but many concerts have been held there, and many great tournaments too. My team won their championship game there a few years back for the LNHL (Little NHL). Sudbury is prolly my home town away from home. I feel I am closer to it then Little Current, or any of the other towns on the Island.

Faiza & Ifrah's Sudbury off the beaten path

by Faiza-Ifrah

"Region of less crowded lakes."

We, 3 familes having 14 members in all, drove for 6-7 hours to the city of Lively in late May 2005 (on Victoria Day) for exploring the less crowded lakes of Ontario.

The city of Lively lies some 30 kms west of Sudbury.

The drive from Toronto to Barrie was slow as there were major traffic jams. However, beyond Barrie, Highway 400 to Parry Sound became a nice scenic drive. The Highway soon becomes Trans-Canada Provincial Route 69. We loved every km of it.

Our main thrill came from driving in the territory of the First Nations (Indians) with many of their cultural symbols greeting us.

With a geographic area of 3,627 square kilometers, the City of Greater Sudbury, is the largest municipality in Ontario based on land mass. It is home to 330 lakes, is locally known as the City of Lakes, and contains more lakes than any other municipality in Canada.

Some facts about greater Sudbury area:

• 330 lakes over 10 hectares in size are within city limits.
• 112 lakes over 100 hectares in size.
• 16.5% (or 601 square kilometers) of the City's total surface area is covered by lake water.
• 12.2% of the City consists of lakes rivers and creeks.
• 4.3% of the City consists of wetlands.
• Lake Wanapitei is the largest city-contained lake in the world at 13,257 hectares, which represents 1/3 of the total lake area.
• In 2003, there were 31 lake stewardship groups in Greater Sudbury.
• In 2003, approximately 7,000 people or 4% of the population lived on a lake.
• City of Greater Sudbury is divided into two main watersheds: the French River Watershed (to the east) drains the Wanapitei River, French River and flows into Georgian Bay and the Spanish River Watershed (to the west) drains the Vermilion River, Spanish River and flows into Lake Huron.
• Within these two watersheds there are 25 sub-watershed units.

Courtesy: http://www.greatersudbury.ca

crottyk's new Sudbury Page

by crottyk

I was born in Sudbury and raised in Onaping Falls about a half hour north of the city. If you visit you must go underground at the Big Nickel. It wasen't until I'd moved away and returned that I tried it and my kids and I loved it. Also if you're travelling north to Timmons stop on hwy 144 just past Dowling before Levack and there's a place on the right. Looks like a sand pit but if you park you'll find a path at the top of the hill that will take you to a beautiful falls with a bridge accross it. I used to call it high falls and frequented there as a child. Great to slide on in the winter too. Lots of blue berries in the right season.

Comments