213 Carlton Toronto Townhouse

213 Carlton Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5A 2K9, Canada

More about 213 Carlton Toronto Townhouse

A new neighborhood away from home

This is a really great place. I recently stayed here for the fifth time. The rooms are always clean, quiet, and the neighborhood is nice. You feel like a local when you stay here. Tan is a quiet, cordial, and pleasant host. He always gives good ideas of things to do during my stay.

Memorable Toronto Townhouse Experience

This B&B is like a home away from home with nicely decorated and comfortable rooms. It is run by the warm and hospitable host, Tan. Tan is also very considerate in trying to accomodate our own preference of breakfast. He was also a great help in arranging our day trip to the Niagara Falls. Everything was great!

Great stay!

We had a great stay, Tan was so helpful and accommodating. He also was by the door when we arrived so late in the night. We were tired and he quickly showed us 2 options and recommended one of the rooms as being more comfortable for us. He was right!

The next morning we awoke and had a great breakfast, which occurred each morning. As we journeyed into the city, we left each morning very satisfied, generally skipping lunch since we were well satiated. I especially loved the fruit, yogurt and granola.

Also, the place was clean and felt very home away from home.

Tan offered great advice on where to go and best ways to get there. The location was great right on a major public transportation line.

We can't wait to go back and we will definitely stay there again.

Felt like I was renting the spare bedroom of some gay guy's sister

Having used the Damrom Guide on numerous occasions to find lodging on my trips, imagine my surprise when my townhouse hostess introduced me to the sign at the front door informing me I was in her home and expected to remove my shoes. It was a lovely place, but I didn't realize the kitchen and living area I saw on the website was actually someone's home and not the "common" area I was used to in the many other gay guest houses where I have stayed. When I complained about not being able to entertain guests, I spoke with her brother on the phone and was advised I could go to the baths. I promptly left and found more suitable lodging. If you want someplace that is a nice room and cheap and you don't mind staying in the spare bedroom, this might be for you. The hostess was very nice; I was just terribly unhappy with the arrangement and felt uncomfortable. If you are a gay traveler, don't be duped into thinking this is a gay guest house; they didn't have any gay literature/guides whatsoever.

Warm and friendly at the Toronto Townhouse

We were greeted by Tan, one of the owners, upon our arrival. He made us feel like welcomed guests from the start with his friendly, teasing sense of humor.
The house is a lovely Edwardian located in a historic neighborhood near downtown. In fact we walked to the convention center in about 30 minutes. The street cars and subway are convenient though, and get you there in ten.
Breakfast is a casual and relaxed affair. Guests are all seated at the table in the eating nook. It makes it very easy to get aquainted. Tan is busy making his outstanding french toast and pancakes while adding to the conversation.
We met Frank, the other owner, on the second day. He and Tan made it seem natural for them to take time out to take photos for us. They even took some with their digital and e-mailed them to us.
The accomodations are very nice although not fancy, and the rates reflect this. What makes this place is the attention paid by the owners to the guests.

The Right Place for Us

I stayed at the Toronto Townhouse for six nights (July 4th to July 10th, 2005) and I was very impressed w/the overall service, decor & location! My daughter & I were in TO to search for an apartment for her 10-month fellowship stay & Tan, the co-manager, was so helpful w/his suggestions & telephone numbers. Plus he gave us lots of personal attention each day we were there, including serving us Sunday breakfast on the patio in the garden; each breakfast for us was fresh fruit, coffee, and choice of French toast or muffins, etc. My spacious room was on the third floor with a very high ceiling w/well-appointed details & bathroom. Plus there was a walkout deck w/two chairs to relax & have late afternoon or evening glass of wine (& there was view of TO skyline also as a bonus!).
As a senior I was given a percentage off the room rate & the U.S. dollar exchange was in OUR favor that week!
Since we were visiting from the U.S. we were allowed use of the house phone to make calls to our various mates & that saved us "roaming" charges on our cellphones.
Like any well-run B&B facility there are "house rules" and in this case they are VERY reasonable & not out of line. As two females coming & going in the historic Cabbagetown neighborhood, we felt very safe; public transportation is just outside The Townhouse door.
Our mission was accomplished; we enjoyed the sights of TO; and we were especially impressed with our stay at The Toronto Townhouse! I hope to go & stay there again in the coming months.

Like staying at home

This is my second year staying at this superbly located home away from home. I travel for business and will never stay in some anonymous hotel again. I have had too many bad experiences with some franchisee running a hotel and keeping low standards of service. Staying at the Townhouse with Tan as my host makes me feel safe and comfortable. The cleanliness is consistent and reliable. I am in the top floor suite and it provides me with all the space I need to work and relax. Free wireless connections means I can work at any time. I am here for four nights, traveling out from Toronto to see clients. Old Cabbagetown is a real, authentic neighborhood in the old section of town. I do not feel like I am in a huge city; there are enough great restaurants tht I can walk to about fifteen within a few blocks. The Church Stree 'Gaytown' area is also close by as are the hospitals and shopping.

If you enjoy the ambience of a nice home in a real neighborhood, this is theh place. Oh, they have parking available as well.

This stay has helped me see Toronto as a super place to live. The diversity and acceptance of people is great. You can walk down Parliament Street and just see the tapestry of life unfold.

enjoy and tell 'em Marty sent you!

this place is great--believe it

I stayed at the Toronto Townhouse from July 4-10, 2005. The negative reviews you will read are misinformed--this is most definitely a gay b and b run by two wonderful gay men (not a woman, as the other review states). There is gay literature, and it's very gay friendly, but it's also just friendly in general--I stayed there with my mother whom, I am sure, is not gay.

BUT this is not a place for you to stay if you want to engage in "sleep overs" with strangers, so to speak. Tan and Frank have sensible rules, one of which includes no overnight guests (clearly, this is for the protection of the real guests).

Tan is honest and generous---if you want an incredible deal, stay here.
I paid around $80 American per night for a wonderful room, great breakfast, free use of a long distance phone to the US, and a happy atmosphere (with good-looking gay men to talk with at breakfast--bonus!) Also, I am a lesbian, and I felt like I was at home. Tan helped me with information--I was in town to find an apartment; I'll be in Toronto next year on a Fulbright scholarship.

My room, the Balcony room, was very spacious, and has a small deck with table and chairs which overlooks the back garden, and has a lovely view of the TO skyline. It has one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, hotel or private home. It has a desk, a refrigerator, and is right next to the bathroom---and I never felt like I was sharing it.

The breakfast, by the way, consists of typical baked goods, and fresh fruit, yogurt and granola, or French toast, and on Sunday, Tan offered us omelets. The coffee is great. I don't know what those other people are complaining about--from what I observed, the juice is free-flowing. And it is only reasonable that breakfast be offered at set times. If you want food available to you at your whim, stay at a place with 24 hour room service. Most places (even large hotels) that offer breakfast only do so within certain times.

The neighborhood is conveniently located to the gay village, central Toronto, and Cabbagetown, which has many great restaurants.

The bottom line is that you will feel absolutely at home, if not pampered, here, IF you are a kind, understanding person and not a selfish, spoiled lout. Tan is one of the nicest b and b owners I've ever met, and I will stop by to say hi when I'm back in Toronto.

Great host in gorgeous b&b!

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Toronto Townhouse from July 24 to 30. There are many reasons for going back there again and again. To name just a few: it is clean, cosy, spacious, light, conveniently located and safe. But the best reason to stay at this b&b is its wonderful and sweet host Tan. He made us feel at home from the start and was very helpful in every way. He even bought me a jar of Nutella (a kind of hazelnut chocolate paste that we often eat for breakfast in Belgium). One evening when we were eating a sandwich on our little balcony, he even brought us some homemade corn because he wanted us to have "vegetables" with our meal. Now if thàt isn't cute I don't know what is. Anyway: I can only say that we want to recommend this guesthouse to everybody and we are very happy to have found a home in Toronto away from home!

Sally from Hasselt (Kim Clijsters-territory), Belgium

Cozy B&B

The Toronto Townhouse is located conveniently for touring Toronto, either by foot, by car, or by public transportation. The rooms are beautifully decorated. Tan Wah, the innkeeper, is a charming man whose advice on seeing Toronto is priceless. His breakfast fare is perfect for a healthy eater and his home-made granola is to die for.

Comments