Allenby B&B Toronto

Good For No Data

More about Toronto

Swarovski Christmas tree - Eaton CentreSwarovski Christmas tree - Eaton Centre

VOLCANOVOLCANO

Children rock climbingChildren rock climbing

Entering!Entering!

Travel advice

by anjula

We have plan to visit Toronto area including Niagara Falls, Canada Wonderland, CN Tower,Museum etc in mid June 2007. What would be the best way to get around the city? I was thinking of renting a car, but afraid of finding parking and getting lost, since I have never been to Toronto before. Would that be a good idea to stay in a downtown Toronto area hotel?

by nicolaitan

staying in a downtown hotel is an excellent idea as most of the places you will wish to visit are easily accessed via the small but effective subway, the underground city, and just walking.

by Dabs

I found that we didn't need a car at all in Toronto, the metro gets you to where you need to go,I think we may have also taken at least one trolley or bus. You could rent a car to go out to Niagara Falls but I'm pretty sure you could also find a daytrip of some sort or maybe a bus to get there.

by johngayton

Ride The Rocket! For the immediate Toronto area the local transit group is all you'll need - www.ttc.ca You can buy a day pass for $9 which allows unlimited use of the buses, trams and metro within the metropolitan area. The site also has details of more further afield routes as well as the airport buses.

For Niagara Falls you can take the train - www.viarail.ca or, I assume, there are buses.

For other trips www.greyhound.ca

No need for a car unless you want to go somewhere really out of the way.

Enjoy Toronto!

by RACCOON1

For Wonderland GO TRANSIT has a special bus service , "Wonderland Express GO" which departs from the TTC York Mills station and the TTC Yorkdale station.

by NinaJay

As the posters above have stated, the TTC will definitely get you to where you need to go. As someone who lives and occasionally drives in Toronto, I highly discourage you from renting a car in the city. Parking is outrageously expensive (as in any major city), and not to mention hard to find on the street. Downtown driving is also a bit of a hasstle if you don't know side streets. I use the TTC to get around because it's cheap, quick and easy. If you're going on a day trip somewhere like Niagara Falls, you might want to rent a car for a day, but otherwise I'd stick to public transit! :D

by anjula

Thank you all for your great advices. I am going to rely on public transportaiton. thank you again

by peterrichards

It may also be worth checking out www.iStopOver.com. They provide short-term accommodation rentals that are much cheaper than a lot of Toronto hotels. There may be some great options on their especially if you are trying to accommodate kids.

by Mikebb

Hi , Forget the car, when we were there inJune'07 we walked to many places,there is a good public transport system. Take a ferry cruise, you get great views of the city and CN Tower from the lake.

Good Luck,
Mike

Travel Tips for Toronto

What would you like to do?

by persiangirl

To find out what's going on in the city, or places you should check out: www.toronto.com as well as www.toronto.ca
I always check it out when I want to try a new restaurant or check out what's happening in the city. Toronto is an amazing fusion of cultures and that's what I always miss when I leave. I miss hearing three or four different languages when I sit on the TTC. I miss the safe/clean streets. I miss the fact that if I want to know anything I only have to ask someone, and they'll try to help. I miss over-hearing "I'm sorry" four or five times a day. The people are polite (but this depends on the time of day--I find Sundays to be prime-time for niceness)

I am a big fan of walking...

by perelgut

I am a big fan of walking around a city to get a feel for the places and people. Toronto is a city made up of ethnically aligned neighbourhoods, so you can do this in a number of different locations and get a different experience each time. Personally, I like: downtown (Yonge south of Bloor) during the daytime for the vibrancy and the people; Yorkville for sitting and watching the world walk by; the Danforth area for a very late evening (one of the few places where you can get a good meal at 4am); and Kensington on the weekend; and the Beaches almost any time; etc.... When I'm away, I tend to miss the sense of quiet safety.

There's so much to do. Ontario...

by barbaraq

There's so much to do. Ontario Place, the Exhibition, Center Island, Harbourfront, Honest Ed's, downtown shopping, the Eaton Center, Kensington Market, St. Lawrence Market, Yorkville, the theaters, the variety of restaurants, Wonderland (which is out of the way a bit). I miss a lot. The sheer variety that you find is what I miss the most. It doesn't matter what it is, restaurants, theatres, whatever you are looking for, you find numerous ones here. It's great. There's a lot of culture and entertainment. If you get bored in Toronto, there's something wrong with you.

The guy who'se always dressed in black

by plikt

I saw him on one of my first walks around town, he sold his art on the street (Queen st) for 2 years until I found him one day, living in Kensington Market where he had opened a studio. Some of his work is pretty cheap (pieces for $7) and very good. He put out a comic book in 2007, which was supported by donations or buyers and he also sells t-shirts with his designs.

I have many pictures of him from different years. You'll see him around a lot. :)

Most Residents Not From Canada!

by bgoodman123

If you're going to Toronto expecting to get a "Canadian" experience, you might have to work at it.
The majority of people living there are NOT from Canada at all.
While there is still a lot of Canada to experience in the city, the practical side of things tends to weigh on the "New Canadians" nowadays.
The real experience in Toronto these days is the enormous diversity of people - more of a global interaction than a traditional "Canadian" one!

Comments