Clarence Castle

Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 review

Tags

Backpacking Budget Travel

HORRIBLE place – worth the $ to stay elsewhere

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 29, 2012

My experience with Clarence Castle was just outright horrible – and I didn’t even stay there. Here is what happened in August 2012:

We had planned to stay at Clarence Castle, but the night before we flew to Toronto, my friend and I came across some additional reviews that had not been published through our booking site. These reviews particularly addressed the issue of BED BUGS that Clarence Castle has repeatedly had in 2010, 2011, and the latest in February 2012.

This being a REPEATED issue, we got very concerned and decided to call them up and see when they last did something about bed bugs. The lady I first spoke with used the standard excuse “Bed bugs are all over North America, they are not just here….” etc. She could not tell me a date of an extermination and passed me on to the manager. What followed now was just a disaster! I was very friendly on the phone and just stated that we have come across some reviews to that extent and wanted to know when the last time was that Clarence Castle had gotten rid of beg bugs professionally. The manager went into a long-winded spiel about how bed bugs are all over North America, and how they didn’t originate there, but how travellers brought them etc. I said repeatedly: “This was not my question. I don’t care about where they originated, I just want to know what you have done to get rid of them.” He kept rambling on and ignored my question. I asked 6 times: “So you can’t tell me a date?” and was simply ignored.
Finally they conceded that they HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING TO GET RID OF BED BUGS. After that statement, I cancelled my reservation.

Then I asked whether I would get charged only the one night we were going to stay because the cancellation was last-minute, but was now kept on the phone for 10 more minutes while the lady and the manager argued in the background and had obviously no idea how to issue a refund. They then simply hung up on me and would not answer the phone when I called back.

UNACCEPTABLE. If you don’t care for acceptable and courteous treatment and would like to live with bed bugs, stay there by all means. Else, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Unique Quality: Cheap and close to downtown. You get what you bargain for.

Directions: Downtown

Toronto Travel Forum

Need advice about Toronto, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Toronto and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Toronto hotel reviews