8 Clarence Square, Toronto, M5V 1H1, Canada

Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Poor

• HORRIBLE place – worth the $ to stay elsewhere

My experience with Clarence Castle was just outright horrible – and I didn’t even stay there. Here is what happened in August 2012:

We had planned to stay at Clarence Castle, but the night before we flew to Toronto, my friend and I came across some additional reviews that had not been published through our booking site. These reviews particularly addressed the issue of BED BUGS that Clarence Castle has repeatedly had in 2010, 2011, and the latest in February 2012.

This being a REPEATED issue, we got very concerned and decided to call them up and see when they last did something about bed bugs. The lady I first spoke with used the standard excuse “Bed bugs are all over North America, they are not just here….” etc. She could not tell me a date of an extermination and passed me on to the manager. What followed now was just a disaster! I was very friendly on the phone and just stated that we have come across some reviews to that extent and wanted to know when the last time was that Clarence Castle had gotten rid of beg bugs professionally. The manager went into a long-winded spiel about how bed bugs are all over North America, and how they didn’t originate there, but how travellers brought them etc. I said repeatedly: “This was not my question. I don’t care about where they originated, I just want to know what you have done to get rid of them.” He kept rambling on and ignored my question. I asked 6 times: “So you can’t tell me a date?” and was simply ignored.
    Finally they conceded that they HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING TO GET RID OF BED BUGS. After that statement, I cancelled my reservation.

Then I asked whether I would get charged only the one night we were going to stay because the cancellation was last-minute, but was now kept on the phone for 10 more minutes while the lady and the manager argued in the background and had obviously no idea how to issue a refund. They then simply hung up on me and would not answer the phone when I called back.

UNACCEPTABLE. If you don’t care for acceptable and courteous treatment and would like to live with bed bugs, stay there by all means. Else, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Unique Quality: Cheap and close to downtown. You get what you bargain for.

Directions: Downtown

More about Toronto

My maple syrup haulMy maple syrup haul

Torrential rainTorrential rain

Giant Sloth of the Ice AgeGiant Sloth of the Ice Age

Entertainment district at nightEntertainment district at night

how to get to markham from toronto

by robin888

Hi

I have a friend arriving in Toronto's airport - how does she get to Markham from the airport? how far is Markham from Toronto? thanks

Re: how to get to markham from toronto

by GrumpyDiver

If your friend is renting a car, (and not arriving at rush hour) its about a 40 minute drive (Get onto Hwy 401 East from the airport, at the junction of Hwy 404 take it (north) to Hwy 7 and head east and you are in Markham). Taxi or airport limosine will get her there too - sorry haven't taken one there so can't give a cost estimate. By public transit - can be done, I think, but would be tough.

Markham is a city that touches Toronto - about 40 km (east and a bit north) from Pearson Airport.

Re: how to get to markham from toronto

by JonPorter

If you're friend wants to take public transit from Pearson airport, I would suggest taking the TTC's 58 Malton bus to Lawrence West station. At the station, get off the bus, then get on the 52 Lawrence Eastbound bus to Lawrence Subway at Yonge & Lawrence. Take the northbound train to Finch station, then exit to the buses platform. There should be Markham Transit buses to make the connection. From there, it depends on where exactly in Markham she needs to go. If you need more info, call the TTC at (416) 393-4636. I think they even have info on Markham Transit. Markham is a suburb of northeast Toronto, it's far from Pearson airport though. This trip could take 2 or 3 hours. Take care & I hope your friend makes it okay!

Travel Tips for Toronto

VT Toronto Members

by jayjoo

I participated in the VT meeting in Toronto and met "real, alive":) VT members first time in my life. It was really good to me to have some friends who could share the thoughts and interests. Oh... After an "official" meeting, I stopped by a very good bar (I forgot the name -.-) with Jarkko and Marie. Jarkko, Bob, Marie, Jane, hayward (invisible^^), and Paul. Hope to see all of you again!

The amusment parks are a must...

by Emanuela14f

The amusment parks are a must see. There's something for everyone of all ages and the water rides are great for the hot summer days. Some great places are Ontario place and Central Island for younger kids. Definately going skiing is the best.

A view to the right

by Simonneeddy

Go to the top of the 'CN. TOWER' and take pictures as the tower rotates. We stayed for the complete 360 degree tour. The great view of Lake Ontario and the small planes landing below us at the island airport.

Black Creek Pioneer Village

by kris-t

You could Imagine yourself in a rural Ontario community 140 years ago. If you were a farmer, or a blacksmith or a pupil in the one-room school house, how different would your life be from the life you live now? Here's your chance to journey back in time and experience a different era.

At Black Creek Pioneer Village history will come to life as you immerse yourself in the surroundings, customs and lifestyles of Ontario's early rural villagers

Right-hand turns

by Grootpiet

This seems to be common in Canada and in some US states. Unless otherwise indicated, you're allowed to turn right at a red traffic light from the far-right lane (when traffic allows of course). So, if you're standing there patiently waiting for the light to go green (like I did for the first few weeks) and someone starts honking their horn behind you, this is why...

Comments