Clarion Hotel & Suites Selby

592 Sherbourne Street, (Formerly Howard Johnson), Toronto, Ontario, M4X 1L4, Canada

Clarion Hotel & Suites Selby Downtown
Hotels.com Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo

Victorian mansion

I stayed here on my third visit to Toronto. It's really an old mansion turned into a hotel. I had a king size bed with simple beddings. For me, who's not that picky as long as my room is clean it's okay. I find my room clean and they always clean it everyday. They have friendly and helpful staff as well. Parking is not a problem but you have to inform them right away so that you will know if there's spot available for your car.

I dont mind about these few things but I need to write it down.

1. New rooms are located on the 3rd and 4th floor. Mine is on the 4th floor and I like it so much except the AC is too noisy for me. You have to call them to ensure that you have the new room.
    2.As much as possible dont get rooms near the elevator. Coz I think its very noisy and it will be a big problem while sleeping.
    3.The elevator can only be use one at a time and not good for people who are claustrophobic, with disability, weighing more than 100 kg. It can only carry 5 person.
    4. My key card doesn't work all the time. I have to go back to reception to have it reactivated.
    5. WIFI is weak in the upper rooms and it will kick you out after certain times and you have to log back in.
    6. There's a desktop computer along the hallway that is free to use
    7. Continental breakfast is just okay. In my 9 days stay they never change it. Everyday the same thing.
    8. No great view and small windows.

The location is not ideal if you want to explore the city by foot. Its near the shelbourne substation and around 10 minutes walk to Royal Ontario museum, The bay, Church st and York ville.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Clarion Selby: On the Path of Ernest Hemingway

I probably paid too much for this hotel at about $110 a night, but at the time I couldn't be bothered scouring the Net for better deals. The bonuses of the Clarion Selby is that it's in a great old historic Victorian building, it's located right across from the Sherbourne subway station, is close to the intersection of Bloor and Younge streets, and you get free local calls. My room was very nice, clean, had a high ceiling, and a giant sparkly tiled bathroom. I loved the old windows that actually opened up to let a lot of air into the room. The oddity for me in this hotel was definitely the elevator, which looked like it was one of the earliest ones ever invented. It's about the size of a closet and I nicked my finger pretty badly one night (after some heavy drinking) trying to close the metal gate inside it. The downsides include "the breakfast room" (which is in the basement, has low ceilings, no windows, is very hot, two of the slowest bread toasters in the world, and has a whole bomb-shelter feel about it), the ironing board in my room had some stains on it which transferred onto my shirt, it's easy to get lost in some of the mazelike hallways, and you do run the risk of getting an interior room that has doesn't have any windows (that would freak me out).
    The staff was very friendly and quick every time I had dealings with them (especially compared to other Toronto hotels). I would stay here again as long as I had a "window room", but next time I'd be more careful using the elevator and inspect the ironing board before using it.

Unique Quality: The building was originally home to Gooderham family (distillers) who lived in the house from 1894 to 1910. It was designed by the same architect who did Toronto's famous "Flatiron building" on Front Street, David Roberts Jr. Over the years the Selby has served as a private girls' school (Branksome Hall), a residence for WWII veterans, a brothel during the 1970s, and a seedy bar. Ernest Hemingway lived at the Selby with his wife Hadley in the 1920s while he wrote for the Toronto Star newspaper. (Ask for the Hemingway suite!)

Directions: Exit Sherbourne subway stop, cross the street, and go left (south on Sherbourne).

Comments