3306 Kingston Road, Scarborough, Ontario, M1M 1P8, Canada
Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Toronto

Kensington MarketKensington Market

Blue Jays, Toronto, CNBlue Jays, Toronto, CN

Police on horsebackPolice on horseback

Another view from UofT's Front CampusAnother view from UofT's Front Campus

Taxes

by mary50

Following on from my previous question.

If we go to Niagara and then cross the border to US to go shopping in the mall, do we have to pay taxes on any purchases? If so can someone advise me of the%.
many thanks.

by GrumpyDiver

I suggest you look at the follow Canada Border Services Agency link:

by milliturtle

If you are a Canadian resident, there technically isn't any exemption for same day trips to the U.S and will charge you HST (15%) + custom duties (depends on the item, could get complex). However, in my experience the last 2 years, we had been waved through if each person in our car bought $100 or less in goods and none of us had purchased alcohol or cigarettes or duty free. But this is not a given - it really depends on the customs officer and the number of people at the border.

If you're not a Canadian resident, then I don't think the Canadian government will charge you duties and tax for cross-border shopping. I hadn't have a non-Canadian passenger in a while, so I can't confirm this.

by milliturtle

Sorry - meant to say 13% HST, not 15%.

Take a look at GrumpyDiver's link for visitors to Canada. The "what you can bring to Canada" section explains it pretty well.

by mary50

Thanks. Great help M

by mim95

HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) is 13% in Ontario. And just an fyi, travelers to Canada are entitled to some tax refund: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/rbts/vstrs/menu-eng.html

by GrumpyDiver

Mim: The general tax refund program was cancelled in 2008 and replaced by one that only applies if you are attending a convention or taking a tour, so for most normal travellers, you do not get any tax breaks.

Details at:

by mim95

Grumpy: really?? that's good to know!

by Lauren5020

Non-residents of Canada do not have a limit for US shopping, as long as it won't be staying in the country (Canada).
Enjoy the shopping!!

Travel Tips for Toronto

CN Tower - Walking The Glass Observation Floor

by Mikebb

This was the highlight of our visit and it did not go as I thought it would, I could not walk the glass floor of the Observation Balcony, however my wife did it easily. Looking around the observation deck it was a raffle to guess who would walk or freeze. It appears age does not play a part.

The night view was fantastic, however we were lucky as our tour director took us up during daylight and we had both views.

Looking down to ground level is something, hang on tight!

www.toronto.com/attractions/listing/100157

Well if you go the first time...

by JennyTheOnly

Well if you go the first time to Toronto you just have to go to a Tim Hortons!!!! They have the best donuts!! Just as I wright that I can smell them!! ;-))
I really love them! Well when we are there we mostly just go shopping and visiting friends and familie! Well I miss most my friends! I can remember once I played with my Friends Twister ! It was so funny! I wasnt there now two years and I really miss them!

Cabbagetown

by Paul2001

Cabbagetown is one of my favourite places to hang on a nice summer day. The neighborhood is full of lovely, well restored Victorian houses from the 19th century. The whole neighborhood is picturesque. Sites in the neighborhood that are worth seeing are the Necropolis and Riverdale Farm if you are traveling with small children. The district got its name when the immigrant who settled here developed the habit of growing cabbages in the front lawn.
The neighborhood's boundries are between Jarvis Street on the west to the Don Valley on the east . To the north is Wellesley and Gerrard to the south. Sadly some of the surrounding districts, ie: Regent Park are not very nice and actually dangerous at night. The neigborhood cafes and bars can be rather cute. Most of these are on Parliament Street and Carlton Ave. I particularly recommend the Winchester for its cheap beer and good food.

Toronto reminds me of Berlin....

by slawekjb

Toronto reminds me of Berlin. A lot see and do and is perfectly safe to walk around at any time of day and night. Taking a ferry to the islands vis-a-vis the city and walking or bicycling around them.

be kind

by Martman

In many parts of the city (especially downtown) a homeless person may approach you to purchase a newspaper. Usually, this newspaper contains articles concerning the homeless. This is a successful system where the poor buy the newspapers and then resell them with a profit. This opportunity gives them more dignity, as they are selling something useful rather than just begging. I do believe that this is a wonderful system. I always feel good when I purchase from them. I am not lecturing you what to do should they approach you, as that is obviously your decision. I will, however, suggest that you be amicable with them. One of the agreements of this system is that they must be polite. Throughout my years in Toronto, I found this to be 100% true. They are extremely friendly and are definitely not troublemakers at all. I cannot find any reason why I should not be friendly back at them.

Comments