1150 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M6J 1J3, Canada

Drake Hotel Toronto
Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

• AlekToronto's Profile Photo

Style on a Budget..if you are under 40

This place was a shot in the arm for the Queen West West area when opened nearly 2 years ago. This crazy IT dude ditched his business to open this ambitious "art, design" hotel in a sketchy area. Very ambitious, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't..but at least it is never boring!
    Rooms are very small and meant for a nite of 2. This is not a place to stay a week. Also on weekends noise can be an issue so I would suggest this place for sound sleepers or party animals that go to bed at 4am.
    Beds are new and comfortable but don't expect Heavenly Beds.
    Bathrooms are shower only so bathtub fans need to go elsewhere.

Great thing is that for the younger cool crowd rates are affordable while offering a "local" experience..regular tourists don't come here or this area.

Unique Quality: wannabee quirky, artsy, fartsy...great place to see Torontonians try really hard to be alternatively cool, bohemian and trendy. Celebrities occasionally hit this place so could be good for star spotting..not that Torontonians are into that!

Unlike anything else in this city..or Toronto for that matter.

Directions: Queen West West West

More about Drake Hotel

Brunch at The Drake

by shohman about The Drake Hotel

The Drake is a hotel, but they have a very funky restaurant that serves brunch on the weekends. The interior is very cool and they have stylish chandelairs. Food was good, nothing to write abou...err, ok, this is VT, I have to write about it! I had a breakfast burrito

Great Place for Weekend Brunch

by kehale about The Drake Hotel's Corner Cafe & Bistro

Met a friend for Breakfast here one morning and it was absolutely fantastic. The corner cafe is located in the Drake Hotel and offers a great breakfast menu (including alcoholic beverages to help take the edge off your hangover).
The place is small and cozy and the staff is very friendly! The menu offers a unique variety of food (no matter what time of day you are there to eat - check out their menu online!), but all so delicious. Definitely pay them a visit on the weekend for Brunch if you don't make it any other time! I've only been once but ordered the Eggs Caleb and I would definitely order them again! Was two poached eggs, with smoked salmon and fresh greens on top of a toasted English Muffin. Comes with Hollandaise sauce (which was great). It normally comes with BBQ French fries, but I asked for the Home Fries instead and they were fantastic!

Artsy lounge is the talk of the town!

by Jele about The Drake

Once a railway hostel on the edge of town, the Drake Hotel has undergone a $6 million facelift to transform it into one of the sleekest places in town. It has a great patio, but the restaurant is really cramped (so I don't recommend dinning there!) One of the trendiest places in Toronto! Casual, but trendy. Please, no sneakers (unless they are Diesels or those trendy bowling shoe types!)

Guaranteed fun place

by kbl about Drake Hotel

Very cool place to spend the evening. Even when the other places in Toronto are empty (tuesday night), there is still life at the Drake Hotel Casual

Loved the Drake!

by TripAdvisor Member ebob222

My husband and I had the unique experience of staying at the Drake Hotel in Toronto. The Drake is a venue for the artistic crowd and those who want an eclectic experience where amazing food, drink and warm atmosphere are second to none.
Everything from breakfast in the cafe, dining in the comfortable, yet elegant dining room, munching at the raw bar or having a drink in the sky yard was a culinary experience we will not soon forget. The pastry Chef is AMAZING!

The staff at the Drake really make the place. They are a group of professionals who have been well trained, extremely friendly and
take pride in making your experience fun. We felt pampered for the three nights we spent there.

The rooms are small but would rate five star on "these small spaces". Everything we needed was in our room. I would suggest the third floor as the noise was controlled. Lots of action in the hotel in the evening, so not for those who are looking for three days of reading in your room.

The area is a bit tired but you can see the positive changes happening in the neighborhood. Lots of great ethnic restaurants within walking distance.

All and all, a terrific experience.

Sort of grows on you if your not a chain junkie

by TripAdvisor Member kycar

Okay, just got back from a 4 day stay in Toronto. This was our treat since we could not make it south this year. This is a hotel that requires an open mind. It is a small hotel that is extremely active and is meant for people who do not plan to hang around the room, order room service etc. We arrived on Thursday. Our plan was to stay at the hotel, eat in the DR then go dance a bit downstairs in the dance lounge. We wanted to take it easy after a 5 hour travel and stay low. Well, quash that idea! The entire place was reserved for a private party. We paid 219.00 for the night and we could not use any of the amenities the hotel offers. We were not happy. We explained this to management. They were very professional. They promised to work hard to make our stay memorable. OK so lets see. Friday night we had supper in the dining room. The manager Patricia came over to us aware of the situation from the previous night. She offered us a complimentary glass of champagne. The meal was great. We ate often at the hotel during our stay. Very good interesting food. A credit to the hotel. Prices are reasonable.
After our supper we went out and arrived back at 3:30 am to find some people yelling in the hallway. I confronted them and things were okay after that. However 3 hours later at 7:30am we were awoken to blasting music from the hallway speaker system. I ran down the stairs to the FD to ask them about it. Turns out there is a short in the system. Went back to sleep awoke to find 2 comp breakfast passes. After that the rest of the stay was pretty uneventful. Summary: rooms are small but very nice and stylish. Very contemporary bathroom setup. No bath and could use more light for makeup etc. Beds are amazing. You cannot have other people in the room after midnight. Hotel has great food and a hot lounge for the younger crowd. Overall staff are excellent and very helpful. Although we asked a girl at the FD about the restaurants close by that they list in their guide. She said she just moved there so had no idea. Didnt bother asking the other employees who were there. Small thing but it matters in a place like this. Its a very personal hotel. One big warning!! Check the events calendar at the hotel for private parties. It can be a real hassle when they have these private functions and you are forced to go out. I must add the staff really understood this issue. I got the impression from mngmnt that they are reviewing that policy. You cannot charge guests 219 a night then say you cant use the dining room or the bar etc. Bad policy, plus we were checked at the hotel entrance twice. private party remember. Even the guests were in the way. We will stay there again but we feel mgmnt really underestimated our disappointment our first night. A glass of champagne did nothing to change that. On that one note the hotel missed the mark. Fun place, fun neughborhood, personal type hotel. We will see you again Jonathan.
Dave & Monique

Loved the swanky Drake.

by TripAdvisor Member mandiej367

My boyfriend lives in Toronto, but we booked a night at the Drake for a nice getaway. We couldn't have been happier with our choice!

All of the rooms at the Drake have corresponding names, and we booked a "Crash Pad." The room was small, but more than adequate. Whoever designed this place was impressively good at optimizing space - there was room for the bed, a desk, a bench, an overhead luggage rack with a sliding ladder, and the entire bathroom area.

Our bed was COMFORTABLE like I could not believe. I would definitely recommend this hotel as a place for open-minded young (or perhaps young-at-heart) couples. The shower is a glass box directly across from the bed, and the room service menu is billed as the first erotic room service in North America (there wasn't any food on it, by the way...) We had a lovely time bonding, and left feeling completely refreshed.

The hotel had some nice extra little touches that I thought went very far to foster my good opinion. They use Aveda bath products, which are wonderful, and have a book-of-the-month club, where they provide you with a book at your bedside to read at night or take home (my boyfriend snapped it up before I got the chance!) Additionally, the most convenient parking for the Drake is a municipal lot across the street; if you give the desk staff your license plate # and keys, they will feed the meter for you and add it to your bill so you have no worries during your stay. The street car runs all along Queen St., making using the public transit in Toronto very convenient.

Additionally, they have a very cool bar & lounge downstairs, an open-air patio on the roof, and a nightclub downstairs. We grabbed a drink in the lounge and caught some very, very cool live music before heading out for the night. Very swanky. When we got back, there was a line-up down the street for the nightly entertainment; we just flashed the doorman our room keys and jumped the line. The Drake definitely treats its guests like VIPs. I hope to be able to treat myself to another night here in the future!

Welcoming and helpful

by TripAdvisor Member markfwilkins

I was very pleased with my stay at the Drake recently.

They provided an accomodation that was clean and welcoming, and I was especially appreciate of the fact that the staff went out of their way to set me up with another accomodation as they were fully booked for the second night.

Recommend it without hesitation, and plan to stay there more often when in Toronto.

Thanks!

Mark Wilkins (the guy with the doppelganger)

Cool vibe at the Drake

by TripAdvisor Member Gina_a_Joe

I had the pleasure of spending at night at the Drake earlier this month and had a very cool experience...from the kind reception I received upon arriving to the awesome crash pad...only good things to say. Special mention must be made about their beds...honestly the best sleep I have had in a while...only challenge is leaving it in the morning.

The Drake Hotel - Toronto, caThe Drake Hotel - Toronto, ca

Meet other VT'ers at the Drake Hotel bar on Fri Sept 5?

by Tygerbeetle

My friends & I will be in Toronto for a girls weekend/birthday celebration & are going to be at the Drake Hotel bar on Fri the 5th, say, 10ish - curious if any VT'ers might want to stop by - we're always interested in meeting fellow travelers! - S.

Comments