145 Richmond Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 2L2, Canada

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

In the heart of downtown, Priceline bargain

Although I didn't get as good of a deal as I thought I would nor the hotel I thought I was going to get, I was very satisified with getting the Hilton Toronto for $77 plus tax (Priceline does NOT charge the GST/HST since they figure you are a US citizen if you are using it so you don't have the extra hassle of claiming the refund.)

I called the Hilton to request 2 double beds and adjoining rooms for the 4 of us, when I checked in there was no record of this but they accomodated us anyway. Our room faced north so we didn't have a view of the CN Tower but how much time do you really spend looking out your window?

Unique Quality: The Hilton is nicely situated in downtown Toronto within walking distance of the Osgoode subway stop, the shops on Queen St. and the Eaton Center.

The room was spacious, the beds comfortable.

The shower was fine, toiletries included soap, bath gel, shampoo and conditioner (a rarity these days), big towels and there was a hair dryer in the bathroom.

There was a small refrigerator but it was fully stocked with overpriced minibar items so it wasn't much use. There was no in-room safe.

My roomie, Ellielou, spends enough time at Hiltons that she's a "special guest" so she brought us all up to the Executive Lounge to enjoy drinks in the evening and breakfast in the morning.

• kbl's Profile Photo

Hilton

The Hotel has some nice features, such as the Tundra restaurant (see my restaurant tips), the scenic elevator and very good service in the Executive rooms I was, however, not pleased by the services. It took more then 24hours before a leak in the ceiling was repaired and seen the overbookings, no other room could been provided. So i paid 310 Can$ per night to enjoy the dripping sound of water. Next stay in Toronto will be at the Hyatt !

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Convention/Business Hotel

Since I was in Toronto for a convention, I wanted to stay at a hotel that had transportation to the Convention Center and back, and one that my agency would consider to have an acceptable cost (so that they would reimburse me). I also have my own criteria for a hotel.

For work travel in addition to a hotel that I can be reimbursed for, I want:

Free breakfast
    Free local calls
    A pool where I can swim laps
    Close to local attractions or transportation to local attractions.
    In a safe area so I can go out by myself at night.
    Access to the internet.
    Ability to earn frequent flyer miles.

If other people from my group are going, I also would like to be with some of them and not to be with others of them, but that's not related to the hotel itself.

I do not really ever stay at hotels in a big city unless I am traveling on business and I do not care for Hilton hotels at least partly because I think they are way overpriced for what you get. Many of the advertised amenities and services are things I'm not interested in having.

I was not in an Executive Suite and do not want or have any use for an open bar (free drinks) as I don't drink.

I've stayed in Hiltons in Pittsburgh and in northern Virginia/DC. This one was better than the one in Virginia which actually charged for the hospitality coffee at the reception desk. Since I don't drink coffee, it didn't really matter to me, but I thought it was cheeky of them.

Unique Quality: This hotel had some of the things I wanted, and did not have others.

It did not have free breakfast. So, I went to a store and bought myself some bagels and ate them in my room. Not very satisfactory. [I think the breakfast at the Hampton Inn is far better and better for you than the continental breakfast that you get at the more expensive hotels.]

I couldn't get access to the internet from my room because I couldn't figure out how to dial a US access number. This was a major PITA, and the business center did not want to help me, and would charge what I thought was way too much for me to use their facilities. So I went to the internet cafe/business center at one of the other hotels and paid (a reasonable amount) to do email there.

I could earn FF miles.
    It did have a pool.
    It was close to local transportation.
    No one else from our group was staying there.

There were a LOT of taxes etc. on this room. The base rate was $175 CN By the time they added the taxes etc. it was up to $196.84. While at the exchange rate in effect at that time, this ended up being the equivalent of $135.75 USD. That's a reasonable rate for a city hotel. But I still think that 10-15 % tax is a lot. But I suppose business travelers are fair game because we don't vote here.

More about Hilton Toronto

Airport Express

by Dabs

Of the options listed in Frommer's for how to get to downtown from the airport, the Airport Express appealed to me most. It seemed like it would be quicker than taking the public bus, then transferring to the subway and much cheaper than catching a cab. If you are traveling with several people, a cab may be cheaper but for one person, the Airport Express was a better deal and really not much slower than a cab.

The Airport Express has 8 stops in downtown Toronto, since I was staying at the Hilton Toronto, it was very convenient as the stop was right across the street at the Sheraton. Our driver actually stopped at the Hilton since no one was going to the Sheraton.

If you buy online, it's 10% cheaper and buying a roundtrip saves you $3.75. Without the 10% discount, it cost me $26.75 Canadian for a round trip and I thought it was worth the convenience.

Buses leave every 20-30 minutes, you can see a schedule on the attached website as well as where to pick the bus up at the airport.

A good cleaning would help!

When visiting Toronto I usually stay at the Toronto Hilton. Yes, the lobby, bars and restaurants have all been remodeled and look "newer". The hallways and the rooms have also been remodeled.

HOWEVER, there is an overview "dullness" attributed to dirty carpeting both in the hallways and rooms. I enjoy the location for its proximity to the subway, shopping and restaurants. Though my room was clean it just lacked that fresh inviting look you would expect at a Hilton hotel. A good carpeting cleaning would bring things back to life!

When I went to get ice on my first day here, late Friday afternoon, I noticed a "room service" tray next to the ice machine. There was remenants of onions left on the tray. The tray was still there Sunday morning! This matter was brought to the attention of the front desk, who immediately got on the phone to call "someone" to remove the tray. When returning to the hotel late Sunday evening the tray was.....you guessed it.....still there! The strong, pungnent smell of onions was not what anyone would expect to find at a Hilton hotel. Three days (and counting) for a room service tray to be left out in the open? I think not!

potential disaster turned around

by TripAdvisor Member 4myinfo

My family (of four, incl 3 and 7 yr olds) stayed here for a long wkend around October 23rd - 26th. We booked our room through Hotwire (1st time using) and paid only $85/night. Prior to arriving, I sent a fax to the concierge telling them it was a special occasion wkend for my husband's 40th birthday, asking for a nice room and view if possible.

Our initial room was more like a motel room. It did have 2 double beds, which we requested, but the decor was outdated and ugly incl thin, worn beige bed spreads and lovely black mold in the caulk around the tub. Very depressing little room. I called the front desk and ask to speak to a manager - she was in a meeting and wd call back- 20 minutes later I finally called again and learned "MJ" the manager had gone off duty w/o calling us back.

FORTUNATELY, Walter (another manager) was now on duty and said he wd change our room immediately. We ended up being upgraded (free) to a nice junior suite with king bed, down comforter, small cot for daughter, marble bath, etc. AND Walter sent up freshly baked cookies, champagne and juice that night!

We wanted to show our appreciation to Walter and tried to give him a tip discreetly, but he refused to take it. He is the reason our wkend turned out to be fabulous all around.

(also note: concierge Jessica recommended a breakfast place and gave us the wrong address and wrong directions, so we ended up walking over a mile with two hungry, small children through many homeless people sleeping on the street- my daughter was in tears when we arrived at the restaurant- by taxi)

Another day we had breakfast at the Hilton, and it was surprisingly quite nice.

Pretty Average

We stayed at the Hilton for 4 nights with a 3 year old. The decor is pretty cool, but doesn't hide the fact that an old hotel has been renovated - seemingly on the cheap. The bathroom in particular was ugly and below average for the price. Breakfast was included in our room rate - thank goodness - I would have had difficulty paying CD 19 per head for a basic breafast with an especially poor selection of fresh fruit - my husband thought the melon tasted of kippers, I thought it was more sweaty feet. The pool was bizarre - half outdoor half indoor, separated by car wash like plastic dividers. Cool to swim outdoors in the snow - but far too cold for our 3 year old daughter. The Vacation Station - games/toys available for kids' use - seemed like a good idea - but they didn't have any toys for a 3-5 year old at the time of our visit.

Highlight was the concierge/bell staff who were extremely helpful and great with our daughter - bellman even gave our daughter a teddy bear to remember him by.

Overall an OK experience - but my husband's company was paying for the trip. Had I been paying I would have been less forgiving.

Hilton...A real class act !

by TripAdvisor Member Khumbu

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hilton in Toronto for our anniversary. We can usually find fault with most hotels, but not here. The room was fantastic, the staff were very helpful and friendly, the pool ( indoor/outdoor ) was great. These people have been properly trained in the art of pleasing visitors. We'll go again in a heartbeat. Thankyou Hilton!!!

Great Location ,No complaints

Since this was my first time in Toronto, I wanted to make sure I stayed somewhere clean and safe. My boyfriend and I checked into the Hilton around 12pm on a Friday. When the cab pulled up to the entrance, I sighed in relief because if the interior was anything like the exterior then we were in great shape. We were greeted by a friendly door staff. It was a little bit of a wait to check in as there was only one person who was working the front desk.

The room itself was huge. It was a king size room which we got for a great deal. There was a nice large window (seemed almost floor to ceiling) that gave you a great view of the city. It was very clean.

I was disappointed that there was no fridge in the room nor a microwave which I found odd, especially given the room size.

We did have high speed internet access in the room (for a nominal daily charge) which was perfect because then we could search the net for things to do.

Most of all I liked the location. You could access the PATH directly from the hotel. The PATH is an underground connection for the business community that also links the malls and hotels etc in case the weather outside is freezing. The Eaton Centre mall was a nice 5-10 minute walk in the PATH. As opposed to a 15 minute walk outside - due to traffic lights rather than distance.

Also it was a 20 minute walk to the CN Tower and the neighboring esplanade which has tons of restaurants lined up.

Heading in the other direction it was a nice walk to Yonge St - about 5-10 minutes. And about a 20 minute walk to Chinatown (in case you like dim-sum).

All in all it was great. I could not complain at all. It made my stay in Toronto all the more enjoyable.

Definitely would stay there again. Recommend this place.

CN Tower ROCKS!

by alise007

"The Proposal"

My dear hubby (DH) proposed in the CN Tower June 2001! Stayed at the Hilton Toronto downtown, visited the Hockey Hall of Fame --something for DH to enjoy! I was just happy to stare at my engagement ring with this HUGE grin on my face. It was a quick trip but definitely memorable! Would love to go back and explore Toronto more. We came back briefly to get chairs from IKEA!

"Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake"

I have visited Niagara 3x now. It is always fun and we find something new to do!

I have dined atop the Minolta Tower and watched the colors changing on the falls. Did the touristy stops along the river- Journey Behind the Falls, Maid of the Mist, Spanish Aero Car, Butterflies, casino (old one-new one wasn't finished last time we were there), and probably a few others I have forgotten.

MY favorite spot is Prince of Wales Inn for HIGH TEA! My aunt came for a visit and we explored Niagara on the Lake and being treated like royalty for a few hours of treats and tea!

Comments