Hilton Toronto

Tags

Business Travel
See Amenities
Dabs's Profile Photo

In the heart of downtown, Priceline bargain

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 2, 2005

Although I didn't get as good of a deal as I thought I would nor the hotel I thought I was going to get, I was very satisified with getting the Hilton Toronto for $77 plus tax (Priceline does NOT charge the GST/HST since they figure you are a US citizen if you are using it so you don't have the extra hassle of claiming the refund.)

I called the Hilton to request 2 double beds and adjoining rooms for the 4 of us, when I checked in there was no record of this but they accomodated us anyway. Our room faced north so we didn't have a view of the CN Tower but how much time do you really spend looking out your window?

Unique Quality: The Hilton is nicely situated in downtown Toronto within walking distance of the Osgoode subway stop, the shops on Queen St. and the Eaton Center.

The room was spacious, the beds comfortable.

The shower was fine, toiletries included soap, bath gel, shampoo and conditioner (a rarity these days), big towels and there was a hair dryer in the bathroom.

There was a small refrigerator but it was fully stocked with overpriced minibar items so it wasn't much use. There was no in-room safe.

My roomie, Ellielou, spends enough time at Hiltons that she's a "special guest" so she brought us all up to the Executive Lounge to enjoy drinks in the evening and breakfast in the morning.

kbl's Profile Photo

Hilton

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 18, 2004

The Hotel has some nice features, such as the Tundra restaurant (see my restaurant tips), the scenic elevator and very good service in the Executive rooms I was, however, not pleased by the services. It took more then 24hours before a leak in the ceiling was repaired and seen the overbookings, no other room could been provided. So i paid 310 Can$ per night to enjoy the dripping sound of water. Next stay in Toronto will be at the Hyatt !

grandmaR's Profile Photo

Convention/Business Hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 7, 2003

Since I was in Toronto for a convention, I wanted to stay at a hotel that had transportation to the Convention Center and back, and one that my agency would consider to have an acceptable cost (so that they would reimburse me). I also have my own criteria for a hotel.

For work travel in addition to a hotel that I can be reimbursed for, I want:

Free breakfast
Free local calls
A pool where I can swim laps
Close to local attractions or transportation to local attractions.
In a safe area so I can go out by myself at night.
Access to the internet.
Ability to earn frequent flyer miles.

If other people from my group are going, I also would like to be with some of them and not to be with others of them, but that's not related to the hotel itself.

I do not really ever stay at hotels in a big city unless I am traveling on business and I do not care for Hilton hotels at least partly because I think they are way overpriced for what you get. Many of the advertised amenities and services are things I'm not interested in having.

I was not in an Executive Suite and do not want or have any use for an open bar (free drinks) as I don't drink.

I've stayed in Hiltons in Pittsburgh and in northern Virginia/DC. This one was better than the one in Virginia which actually charged for the hospitality coffee at the reception desk. Since I don't drink coffee, it didn't really matter to me, but I thought it was cheeky of them.

Unique Quality: This hotel had some of the things I wanted, and did not have others.

It did not have free breakfast. So, I went to a store and bought myself some bagels and ate them in my room. Not very satisfactory. [I think the breakfast at the Hampton Inn is far better and better for you than the continental breakfast that you get at the more expensive hotels.]

I couldn't get access to the internet from my room because I couldn't figure out how to dial a US access number. This was a major PITA, and the business center did not want to help me, and would charge what I thought was way too much for me to use their facilities. So I went to the internet cafe/business center at one of the other hotels and paid (a reasonable amount) to do email there.

I could earn FF miles.
It did have a pool.
It was close to local transportation.
No one else from our group was staying there.

There were a LOT of taxes etc. on this room. The base rate was $175 CN By the time they added the taxes etc. it was up to $196.84. While at the exchange rate in effect at that time, this ended up being the equivalent of $135.75 USD. That's a reasonable rate for a city hotel. But I still think that 10-15 % tax is a lot. But I suppose business travelers are fair game because we don't vote here.

Nearby Hilton Toronto

• Fitness Center
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Toronto Travel Forum

Need advice about Toronto, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Toronto and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Toronto hotel reviews