30 Mercer St, Toronto, Ontario, M5V1H3, Canada

Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• AlekToronto's Profile Photo

Stylin Toronto Digs

love love this hotel..finally Toronto has a hotel we can be proud of that matches other stylish design hotels in other world class cities. Forget the dated Four Seasons, the stuffy Sutton Place. Ditch the stodgy Park Hyatt or musty Windsor Arms. This hotel is fresh, clean, modern and the staff smile!
    The rooms are large and easily boast the most comfortable beds and linens in Toronto. This is the place I take all my out of town visitors and friends who are looking for a nice weekend stay in the city. The room rate includes a very nice breakfast (rare in Toronto) and a small size that means no large crowds or conventions.
    This place does it all right. Prices are higher than average but worth every penny for the stylish traveller.

Unique Quality: Great beds, sexy showers, large space, breakfast

Directions: Entertainment District.

More about Hotel Le Germain Toronto

Le Germain Intimate, understated luxury

by TripAdvisor Member Aussiedogz

I am so glad I stayed here for my recent business trip instead of one of the same old boring chain hotels. This is a really beautiful, intimate place. My room was a nice size and from a design standpoint, unbeatable. I can't wait to stay here again. Without a doubt the best, most stunning to look at, shower I have ever experienced in my life. I do have to reiterate the criticism of the TV reception. However, a few moments under the thick down comforter and crisp cotton sheets and I was out like a light. No need for TV anyway.

I have to agree with some of the others

I recently stayed at the Le Germain and I have to agree with some of the previous reviews. The rooms are nice, building is very new, but the service is lacking. I was let down in the end by the total package. You can't have a boutique hotel without the service. I'd stay elsewhere.

Great weekend !

My wife and I spent a great weekend at Le Germain. The hotel manages to be both very stylish and comfortable at the same time. The rooms are large and furnished with comfortable contemporary furnishings (great beds). The bathrooms are the best I have ever experienced ! We didn't have dinner at the restaurant but did have drinks and found the space to be very cool and the sevice excellent. The staff could not have been nicer with one doorman braving a rain storm to ensure we had a cab available to us quickly. The gym could be significantly better but given the rest of the experience we would go back in a heartbeat !

One of the Best Hotels in Canada!!

I'm not quite sure what hotel some of the other reviewers are talking about ... the Le Germain is, without a doubt, one of the best small/medium sized hotels I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world (and I have stayed in a lot). Certainly it is one of the top hotels in Toronto ... a city that has more than its fair share of mediocre (and often filthy) places to stay. Conde Noste magazine has rated this hotel one of the top boutique hotels in the world ... and with good reason.

The hotel staff were all well groomed & attentive (without overdoing it) and the room I stayed in (Room 910) in November 2004 had a good view, beautiful decor, extremely comfortable bed with warm & fluffy bed covers & 4 huge pillows, and was immaculately clean throughout including the floors & bathroom.

My wife and I both LOVED the most famous element of the rooms ... the glass shower that separates the bathroom from the bedroom (the divider between the bathroom area and the sleeping area consists entirely of three sheets of absolutely clear floor-to-ceiling glass with top-of-the line Kohler shower fixtures in it, including one of those rain shower style shower heads). The clear glass walls mean that you can watch your roommate taking their shower while you watch TV or listen to jazz on the Bose sound system. It feels like the person is standing in the open right next to you in the centre of the room taking their shower. Although, I personally enjoy this, if you are a prude or if the thought of looking at your "significant other" taking a shower while you watch frightens you, you can draw a set of california shutters hanging in front of the shower to close off the view (although why you would want to do this is beyond me) ... or even better, get right in there with them ... the shower is big enough for two or even three people!!

I know this sounds a bit like something you would expect in a hotel in Las Vegas or Niagara Falls but it is not, in any way, cheesy/kitschy ... it is done in a very "quiet" tasteful manner that is hard to explain. The overall feeling of this place is very "Zen/Loft" in both decor and atmosphere (beautiful wood on the walls and ceilings and slate floors). In fact, the decor in this hotel is so famous that it has been featured on TV (and in a number of design magazines). Apparently, a number of repeat guests have even "copied" the glass shower idea in their own homes ... you really have to experience it in order to "get it".

The lobby & mezzanine are beautiful places as well ... works of art in every architectural sense (everywhere you look there is something interesting to look at).

The continental breakfast is included in the price of the room and is definitely above average. Beware if you are expecting the usual North American hotel breakfast fare of bacon strips, scrambled eggs, and sausages (I still can't believe that many Canadians & Americans still eat that artery-hardening crap for breakfast almost every day) ... you won't find any of that stuff here ... healthy fare only (fresh breads, fruits, muslix, yogurts, crepes, muffins, bagels, and more) served in a beautiful room with the newspaper of your choice!!

I loved this placed and will definitely stay there again. My only complaint was that, considering the attention to detail everywhere else, the TV was indeed hooked up badly (as alluded to by another reviewer) ... the picture was unclear & distorted on all channels (poor cabling I would say). In any case, if you are spending a lot of time watching TV in this place, you need to have your head examined!

Note to the previous reviewers that slammed this hotel ... the whole idea of a "boutique hotel" is NOT to be like every other hotel chain. A boutique hotel is supposed to be unique / eclectic. If you want a cookie cutter hotel, stay at the Holiday Inn or Ramada!!

A nice stay.

by TripAdvisor Member swankmommy

We had a wonderful room here. We had stayed at the one in Montreal and loved it, so we thought we would try the one in TO. We found the rooms in Toronto much bigger than Montreal, which was a nice bonus.

We loved the atmosphere. We were there to see Madonna, so it went with the fun and glam theme! Great bathroom for getting ready in and it has a sexy glass window for taking a peak at your partner in the shower/bath (with blinds for those who are slightly prudish!).

Our only complaint was that the room service menu was way too complicated. We just wanted some snacks and had to go get them ourselves at some stores near by. We also came in late and wanted something yummy for dinner, but found to menu way too picky and posh. That's great for the restaurant and we are all for ambiance, but for room service they need to be more grounded with their offerings.

All in all a great stay and a much needed boutique hotel for TO. A little off the beaten path, a tad noisey on weekends being in bar district and they need to work on the food. We would still go back though (just with some treats in our bags and earplugs just in case!).

Wonderful well-located hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member KateKirk

We recently enjoyed an anniversary weekend in Toronto and stayed at the Hotel LeGermain in the entertainment district. It was well worth the boutique price and I made a followup reservation for a business trip to the city 2 weeks later.

This is a gorgeous modern hotel that is blocks from all the restaurants/shopping as well as the CN tower, ballpark and convention center. It has a chic but not slick lobby with an espresso/cappucino machine and many art/culture books to leaf through without thinking too much about anything. A 2-sided fireplace was warm and beautiful (on an April weekend when it snowed 48 hours straight).

The lobby only warms you up for the well-sized and extremely comfortable rooms. The bathroom is generously sized and tiled in natural slate. The shower is a dramatic glass tower that is nearly in the center of the room -- with a blind on one side in case you are not an exhibitionist. It's got a dual shower head that pours all over and makes you want to spend the day there. The ceiling is really high and the windows are quite large. The concierge was exceedingly helpful and pleasant, as were the young women staffing the breakfast room where breakfast--continental but varied-- is served until about 11 am.

Note to those who travel when the weather is nicer and all the adjacent clubs/restaurants are hopping...this hotel could be awfully loud. There was a large roof deck bar just 20 yards across the street from our window and we noticed that the hotel provides earplugs in the room. Part of the thrill of staying in a hotel that's cooler than you are!

worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member psod

I spent one night here recently and must say that I was VERY impressed. This is one of the top five hotels I've been in, anywhere in the world. The rooms are beautiful and the location is amazing. Since I was staying with my wife I must add that the shower was a nice touch!

If you're looking for a hotel to treat yourself in Toronto, this is the one to chose!

Just perfect. The way good hotel should be.

One of the best hotels I've stayed in. Absolutely perfect. Spend two days there in March, and was totally pleased.

Room was stylish, modern, cosy, quite big, with interesting view from the vindow. Glass wall to the shower was very unusual and entertaining. Everything was clean and nice. Bathroom is very stylish too. It was Very quiet (probably hotel wasn't really busy).

Lobby was so cosy I'd stay there. Bookshelfs, sofas everywhere and fresh logs in the fireplace all the time. Hotel stuff was effective. Registration/checkout was fast, and our car was ready in a few minutes every time.

Breakfast was very good, no meats, but not usual ameircan-chain breakfast. Lots of cheeses and bakery and fruits. Modern looking and stylish breakfast room too.

I don't really know what for people paying double price to stay in fancy rich hotels that really not that fancy and just plain old and boring.

HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member RichardKW

Spent the weekend of July 29th - mirror what many have written here - great location, excellent service and modern, funky and spacious rooms.
Note - the hotel does not have a liquor license and there is no hotel bar but there is a tiny alcove of a bar in the adjoining restaurant - btw, my wife and I had a outstanding meal here - pricey but worth it!

Hotel stays for New Year

by Jenn50000

I am coming for New Year's and was inquiring if anyone had heard about the Cosmopolitan Toronto hotel? Is it in a good area where I don't have to rent a car.

Are there any other good hotels in the downtown area that are nice? I don't necessarily want something as great as a Four Seasons, but somewhere near that area in a little less version.

Thanks

RE: RE: Hotel stays for New Year

by hotsauce28

Hi Martin! Look at you giving advice on Toronto!!!
So you DO remeber it!! (thought you might've been traumatized..) ;))

I'm not sure if you've checked out the prices for Cosomopolitan but I think it might be quite expensive. I haven't stayed there (because i live in T.O) but i've eaten at the restaurant.

The area itself is great, you're rignt on the subway line and you can pretty much walk or take a short train ride to any of the "happening" places. Other options would be any hotel along Yonge Street south of Bloor. There's alot less expensive places to stay at.

Good luck and have fun!

RE: Hotel stays for New Year

by dp06

Hi,

The Cosmopolitan is nice, and if you're looking for somewhere nice, check the Intercontinental (it's near the Four Seasons), the SOHO or Le Germain. If you want to get really funky, check out the Drake or the Gladstone. They are located in Queen West West, right in the heart of the action. The Drake has a great restaurant and cafe and is very happening at night.
Near Bloor is the Four Seasons, Park Hyatt and the Sutton Place -- all very expensive. North of Bloor on Avenue is another hotel -- I can't remember the name, but it's a little less pricey. All of these locations have TTC or street car access, and cabs are really easy to find.
Have a great time in TO!!!

RE: Hotel stays for New Year

by f&j

We stayed at 1 King West. They had some great deals on Expedia when we booked and got a great room for under $150 USD a night. It's a great location, close to everything. You can check their website out at www.onekingwest.com

RE: RE: Hotel stays for New Year

by LeandroPires

Once I stayed in Days Inn Downtown Toronto...
Very well located (a block from Yonge street and some from Eaton Centre) and atractive prices.

Check it out!