2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

56 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1G5, Canada

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 66% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• brazwhazz's Profile Photo

Toronto's best value downtown hotel

Hotels in Toronto, especially in the downtown area, are notoriously expensive.

While recently travelling by train through Toronto, I was looking for an affordable accommodation within walking distance of Union Station, where my train was leaving from early the next morning.

I was more than happy to find the Hotel Victoria, a designated historic building a short walk away from Union Station (and closer still to King Station, if you are taking the subway). The rooms are fresh and modern, and free wifi is included in the price. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous as well.

Finally, there is an adjoining restaurant called Over Easy which is open for breakfast and lunch (from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.). Prices are similar to those of over downtown brunch restaurants, but the menu is very varied and the food is excellent.

Needless to say, I won't be looking to stay anywhere the next time I'm in Toronto for a night. This place gives you a great bang for your buck.

Directions: On the west side of Young Street, between Wellington and King Streets.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

YONGE STREET LOCATION

Wednesday, October 8, 2009
    We booked HOTEL VICTORIA through Booking.com for the rate of $95.00 per night. Breakfast was not included, but it was situated in an excellent location right in the heart of downtown Toronto, on Yonge Street. It was also a short walk to the Hot House Cafe' where we were meeting up with a few VT friends.
    It's an older Hotel, but quite cozy actually. We had a double bed, three-piece bath with hair dryer, TV with HBO channel, coffee maker with supplies and a small desk.
    As I said, there was no breakfast included and also no parking on site, so we had to park in the nearby parking garage, which is a whole other story.

Directions: Downtown Toronto - Yonge Street location

• hotel victoria

Upon arriving at the hotel, you have to make quick the job of unloading your suitcases and such, because of the fact that you are allowed a few minutes of parking in front of the hotel. The reception will give you directions to the nearest parking area, which is roughly a 15 minute walk from the hotel. This was the only inconvenience in the stay at the hotel. The room (I highly recommend the suite with two queen size beds) was very accomodating. The value for the room was well worth it. Im sure that a room of this calibre, in any other part of the city would be at least double the price. The beds were comfortable. There are plenty of restaurants in the area from which to choose from. All in all I would give this hotel two thumbs up, and will definitely stay at the hotel again, the next time I stay in Toronto.

• Great place in great location

We stayed 3 nights this fall. The room was fine. The location is outstanding. This is a typical older hotel. The rooms are smaller than new motels, but it was clean, everything worked, the bed was firm, and the water was hot. What else could one want?

The folks at the desk were pleasant and helpful.

We had breakfast one morning in the restaurant off the lobby. It was ok, but next time we'll look for something better.

One caution. Not only is there no parking, there is not even a curb cut to pull into off the street. Park in the municipal garage 3 blocks South and walk back.

Directions: Downtown. Near Wellington Square restaurants and theaters. Less than 10 minute walk to the main theater district.

• pipsqueak's Profile Photo

Great Downtown Location

We stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Victoria in downtown Toronto. The service was great, the room was a decent size with a king-size bed, a large bathroom for a hotel, in room iron and ironing board. Our room faced Yonge Street, which is fairly busy, but it was not any noisier than you would expect a downtown hotel to be.

Unique Quality: The Hotel Victoria describes itself as a "boutique" hotel. The location is great for this hotel. It is 1/2 block from the King subway entrance and entrance to the Path, the underground shopping area. It is also only a block from the Hockey Hall of Fame. The staff was very accomodating. It is one of the lower priced downtown hotels. I think the rate was around $130 US per night.

Directions: Any cab driver will know where it is. It is close to the King subway station.

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Great location, good rates

My feelings for this hotel are mixed:
    - My room had a view over the wall in front of it and there was absolutely no light in the room. Day or night, I would have to look at my watch to figure out the time of day. I might have been particularly unlucky as I was on the 4th floor, maybe the higher floors are a bit better. I was given the possibility to change but only on a few of the days and it would mean changing 3 time in total.

The location is very good, in the middle of the Financial district, on Yonge st. between King and Front st. Union station (train and subway) is less than 5 minutes away and King st. subway is even less (1 1/2 block away). There are many good restaurants very close and there is even an Irish pub/bar right in front of it in case you want to go for a drink or just eat something without going too far. This can be useful considering that the hotel restaurant was closed for renovation.

The frontdesk staff was not great. The girl, Carla, was very nice and friendly as for the others... not rude, but not very friendly either. On a few occasions I had some requests, which were only taken care of when I asked Carla (for instance, some shoeshine).

My room was very small, there was just enough space to fit two twin beds and a small desk. I had to open the luggage on the bed. The bathroom had been renovated and looked quite good. Of course it had a problem that affects many hotels: The showerhead is fixed on the wall, meaning that tall people, like myself, have to bend down in order to take a shower. This is quite annoying.

I was told that the deluxe rooms were a bit larger and also had a view (i.e. light!!!), but they cost an additional 25 CAD per night.

What I liked about the hotel was that there was free wireless internet in the rooms, which worked great!

I would probably stay at this hotel again, but would seriously consider getting a deluxe room as I got depressed in my "bunker". Overall, I think it is quite good value for money, considering the location. I paid about 125 CAD (incl. taxes).

Unique Quality: Free wireless internet.
    Location.

Directions: By public transport, King street subway station is the closest, then just go south on Yonge for 1 1/2 blocks.
    The airport shuttle (15.50/person) stops at the Royal York hotel which is about 2-3 blocks away (walkable, if you don't have very heavy luggage)

• shohman's Profile Photo

Great downtown location

Hotel Victoria is a Botique style hotel in a great location in the financial district . It's rather old and charming. The staff is very helpful and the rooms are quiet and comfortable. They are in the process of adding a small breakfast lounge. I would definately go again.

Directions: Financial district.

• MarieGutscher's Profile Photo

Toronto's Best Kept Secret

Whenever I'm in Toronto on business the Hotel Victoria is my first choice!
    The friendly staff at the desk is just the beginning.

The hotel is walking distance from Union Station and right down town in the heart of the entertainment and financial district.

If you'd prefer a quiet room, ask for one at the back of the building. You won't have a view but you also won't have any street noise.

The hotel is Edwardian in style and I do believe it dates back to the early 20th century as well so thus - it would be Edwardian.
    It's a charming small hotel (48 rooms) with a European boutique hotel look.
    The best part about it is that you are so close to fine dining and theatre - and you don't have to leave behind an appendage as payment!

They offer a laundry service which is wonderful when you’re on business for a week or so. (You don’t have to pack much.)
    And the continental breakfast (complimentary) is fresh with a good choice of breakfast items!
    I love this place! You get all kinds of bathroom goodies!

More about Hotel Victoria

hotel victoria, toronto

by TripAdvisor Member aliarno

We stayed at the Hotel Victoria for 3 nights during an amazing holiday in Canada. The hotel is in a perfect situation for exploring the city, as it is steps away from the subway (king), and an easy walk to Union Station. From the airport we took an airport bus to Fairmont Royal York (opposite station) and walked to Hotel Victoria.

We has a King room with a huge comfortable bed, fridge and coffee making facilities. Everything clean and tidy, and most important to us at the time good air-conditioning, it was 35 degrees at the time..phew.

No complimentary breakfast, as there were alterations being made when we were there, but there are places just down the street to eat, Richtree market being the best.

Hotel Victoria-(small but great Location)

by TripAdvisor Member mayaluvr

We spent two nights at the Hotel Victoria aug 5-6. We had a queen room and like previous posters have said the room was very small. The location was great as the Wife being a shop-Alcoholic had a short walk to the Eaton Center and I being a avid baseball fan had less than a fifeteen minute walk to the Rogers Center. Lots of great dining choices near by and the noise from Yonge Street wasn't a problem, just the odd siren like any other downtown hotel. As there is no onsite parking We parked about 8 minutes away on the esplanade at a manned parking lot at the end of church street. $30.00 for two and a half days which wasn't too outrageous. Would We return to the Victoria? Likely if the price was right but We like to try different places so not likely anytime soon.

Comments