Jackie's B&B

Good For No Data

More about Toronto

Window Displays - Bay College St StoreWindow Displays - Bay College St Store

CN towerCN tower

Flocking to see a replica of an engineering pieceFlocking to see a replica of an engineering piece

An animated introduction to the stall's offeringsAn animated introduction to the stall's offerings

Humber College North Campus Area

by dchindian

Hi, my gf is thinking of going to Humber College North Campus and is worried about crime in that area. Does anyone have any solid info to share with me about crime in that area? Should it really be of concern or not?

by July2

The following site may be of interest to your girlfriend re. safety in the Humber College area.

As far as I know (I don't live in that particular area) there's no reason for concern other than being as careful as she would elsewhere in the city.

I imagine she has checked out Humber College's website regarding any personal safety policies that may be in place.

by dchindian

Thank you for your contribution July2, unfortunately the webpage you sent me to did not give any information about the North Campus. I tried to post a question after reading it but for some reason I was unable to submit.

by Faiza-Ifrah

hi:

i used to work in that area and it seemed to be safe. it is far from the well known crime centres of GTA and is a mini educational town and small touristy place in its own right.

University of Guelph's humber campus is nearby, so is humber arboretum, and humber nurseries with a butterfly conservatory inside it.

we also drive pass the area every now and then when we have to go to Woodbridge, a city further east of it or to Albion cinemas in Rexdale to watch indian / bollywood movies. in this regard we take steeles avenue instead of highway 401.

i have built tips on humber nurseries and butterfly conservatory in my Mississauga pages.

the area is relatively less populated as of now and driving at night concerns me only from the fear of the unexpected because the traffic is comparatively less and steeles avenue section is still without lights LOL.

Travel Tips for Toronto

Places To Go

by fishy9162

ON A BUDGET:
Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) - Free on Fridays 4:30pm-9pm. Dinosaurs, Native Indian art, mummies, Underground Railroad, Ancient Egypt, Rome, etc.
From the Yonge-University-Spadina line, get off at Museum.

Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) - Free on Wednesday nights. Beautiful paintings and sculptures, but if you're not into art you'll be soooooo bored.
From the Yonge-University-Spadina line, get off at St. Patrick.

Harbourfront - Always some sort of festival going on.

Chum/CityTv Building - Kind of like MTV Studios. Catch a glimpse of a rock star or be part of the audience.
Corner of Queen and John.

IF YOU GOT MONEY TO SPEND:
Canada's Wonderland - lots of rollercoasters and fun gentle rides. Not worth your money if you don't go on any rides. You must have some FUNNEL CAKE if you go here.

Medieval Times - Meet the King or Queen and cheer for your Knight in the tournament as you dine on Dragon Soup, Dragon Scales and Baby Dragons.

CN Tower - The World's Tallest Building. If you're afraid of heights, you won't be able to handle the glass floor.

WHERE to PLAN Your Trip

by Mikebb

This web page should help you get an insight to Toronto before you arrive, help save time and increase your enjoyment.

www.where.ca/toronto

They make available very good City Maps - FREE.

An introduction to Toronto

by sim1

I don't know if I can call Toronto a "must see". Yes of course it is a city that has quite a bit to offer. But in my view it is still just a big city, nothing out of the ordinary. Mmmmm... maybe it depends on what you are looking for.... I am not a city person, so I am quite hard in my judgement. I wouldn't make a trip with the sole purpose of visiting Toronto. Neither would I spend a week of my vacation here to explore the city. Hahaha, I feel a bit double minded writing all this, I've been here quite a few times so far, and I haven't been bored once. So I guess it is a nice place to be :-)) But I think what I am trying to say is that there are more spectacular cities to see than Toronto.

An introduction to Toronto :
Toronto is located on the north shore of Lake Ontario and was created on March 6, 1834, when the settlement of York was renamed Toronto, the Mohawk word for "meeting place." The British settlement of York was founded as the capital of the new province of Upper Canada by Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe in the 1790s and had grown to 10,000 people by the 1830s. Toronto is still the capital of the province, now called Ontario, and is the largest city in Canada, with a population of 2.4 million, 4.7 million in the Greater Toronto Area.

Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world, it is home to more than 80 ethnic groups and more than 100 languages, and is marked by the diversity of distinct neighbourhoods, cultures and communities.

Distinct neighbourhoods include Little Italy (west of College/Bathurst), Queen Street West (a soho-style strip east of Spadina Avenue), the Entertainment district (bounded by Front and King Streets, University and Spadina Avenues), the fashion district (Spadina and King), Greektown on Danforth Avenue, Little India (Gerrard Street East), and three Chinatowns.

Tim Horton's Coffee

by ATXtraveler

I would hardly call myself a coffee conniseur (or however you spell that), but having lived in Melbourne, AU and travelled to places like San Francisco and Seattle that claim to have the best coffee in the world, I found it completely ironic that of 6 coffee shops on the block of my hotel in the morning, 5 of them were all but empty. I passed by two Starbucks - EMPTY. Two cafes that clearly registered fresh coffee, one or two loyal patrons. Then I rounded the corner to the place Canadians call home for a cup of the warm stuff, Tim Horton's. Timmy's had a line 20 deep, stretching out into the warm Toronto winter morning waiting for his delicious brew of pure Canada.

After my wait, I got to the front only to find out they did not take credit card. 20 minutes later, after my second wait in line, I had my cup... yes, it was better than Starbucks.

Keep your distance

by Arial_27

Around the world obviously people have different ways of greeting each other and interacting in conversations. In France for example it's common to kiss the person on both cheeks.
In Canada we don't normally kiss eachother when we greet (unless we're close friends or family) but a firm handshake will do if you've just met the person. Unlike some nations in the Middle East or Asia where it's common to stand very close to a person while engaging in a conversation, in Toronto most people would feel as if you were invading their personal space or intimidating them if you stand too close to them. I usually get realy uncomfortable when people, men or women, stand right in my face when they're talking to me. A couple feet away is normal for an average conversation.

Comments