Le Royal Meridien King Edward

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• WaRPer's Profile Photo

Absolute Downtown

The hotel is ideally located at the heart of Downtown, with an easy access to both business district and tourit attractions. The 'classically' decorated rooms are cozy, comfy and fully facilitated with all the amenities. Other common facilities including Cafe Victoria, Consort Bar, a gym, and spa.

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Very Nice Hotel

The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are nice. Some of the carpet could use an overhaul, but, in general, I was impressed with the accommodations.

I had a deluxe king room and it was quite spacious. Includes a desk and a sofa. The bathroom was large and the water pressure in the shower was great.

Only drawback to the room was the lighting in the bathroom. Not so helpful to ladies putting on makeup.

Unique Quality: The King Eddie is 105 years old (in 2008) and while it has the charm of an old luxury hotel, it also has up-to-date amenities.

I have stayed in many hotels in my life, but this is the first one where the honor bar include an "intimacy kit" :)

The link below is to the special offers for the King Edward hotel. We got the Canada Day rate through this link (although I ended up having to call the 800# to make the reservation as the online booking kept failing). I have not been able to navigate to these offers through the normal SPG page (King Eddie is a Starwood property).

Directions: Financial District

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

THE KING EDDY

Affectionately called the King Eddy by Toronto`s residents this is a beautiful and historic hotel, it was built in 1903 by George Gooderham and designed by E J Lennox, who was responsable for Casa Loma and extensively restored in 1979-1981 at a cost of $25,000,000
    the public areas are lovely with lots of marble and a huge skylight in the lobby

the Restaurant is a complete contrast, very modern and with a selection of artwork on the walls, we ate breakfast here and it was excellent, there is a bar menu in the Consort bar, we liked the bar, it is very in keeping with the age of the hotel and the large windows overlooking the street are great for people watching, the staff were very friendly and welcoming

the hotel is convenient for the harbour, the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Flatiron Building and the St Lawrence market, and there are several nice bars and restaurants close by

Our room was very comfortable with views down to the lake, we would definately recommend this hotel

Unique Quality: there is a fitness centre with whilpool and sauna, a spa and beauty parlour and a business centre

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

Great Hotel, great location.

We stayed for 4 nights and were very impressed. The lobby is an amazing sight when you first walk in. Our room was both spacious and spotlessly clean. All the staff were very helpful and friendly.

We couldn't fault anything during our stay and wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else if we are lucky enough to return to Toronto some day. The "King Eddy" is in an ideal central location and is close to the metro, tram routes and within walking distance of shops, restayrants and the waterfront.

Unique Quality: The Hotel is steeped in history and has had many famous guests in it's time. If you want a modern hotel full of glass and plastic then stay somewhere else. If you want to stay in a building with character and class then this is the place for you.

We only had breakfast in the hotel which was an experience in itself, not only for the food and first class service but also for the surroundings.

The gym has access 24 hours a day which is handy when you are suffering from jet-lag and awake at 5.30 A.M.

Search for a deal and treat yourself.

Directions: Within walking distance of the Harbour, CN Tower, Skydome, Eaton Centre etc. etc.

More about Le Royal Meridien King Edward

Open Doors Toronto

by coolpanda87

Toronto's historic attractions will be open to the public on the last weekend of May. Admission is FREE.

RECOMMEND:

- Ontario Legislative Building
- Osgoode Hall
- Princess of Wales Theatre
- Royal Alexandra Theatre
- Royal Conservatory of Music (McMaster Hall)
- Spadina House

Service? What service?

by TripAdvisor Member ScousePete

My wife and I stayed there for a weekend. The front desk staff were fine, but the bartenders were rude, as were the doormen.

As we were paying our tab at the bar, the bartender is hovering over us, watching what we were writing! Little more privacy next time - if you expect to be tipped!

As we were waiting for our car to be brought round, I overheard one of the doormen talking to a local taxi driver. "Today isn't that busy, normally at this time we have a bunch of those cheapass Priceline people checking out who complain because they have waited 'three years' for their car to be brought round, screw them" Nice

Nothing Spectacular!!!!

We just returned from the King Edward and it wasn't all that we expected. Very average and very poor service. It was our first anniversary and we were excited to see the suite that we had booked. We got to our room and it was huge, but only had two small twin beds. I told the desk and they said that they couldn't do anything about it. So we pushed the beds together to make one. The floor under those beds was filthy. There were things under the bed you don't want to know about.

The lobby and location are a plus, but other than that it wasn't worth what we paid. If you want to park a car they charge $30 a day. Drive down one block to Church St. and park at the Market for only $6 a day. Next time we return to Toronto we will not be staying at the King Edward.

King Edward...no...King of Disappointment!!!

by TripAdvisor Member thebillsOntario

We stayed at the King Edward while visiting Toronto for a few days.
We did not know what to expect. but after looking at the website, we thought that it wouldn't be our first choice, but it was pretty good.

All that was dashed rather quickly.

The lobby was nice, and so were the staff. On the website we learned that you could get valet parking for the rip off price of $30. Rather than park on the scummy sidestreets off Yonge, we took the valet. However, there was no staff on the street to take our car, and our car sat on the road until after 11:00 pm.

When I checked it, they told us that we were upgraded into a suite. I thought that this was great..much to my surprise the suite wasn't sweet at all. Rather, the furniture was worn, tattered and stained. Worst of it was that the chair in the living room had blood splatters on it, and when I was looking at these, the chair moved to reveal bloood stains on the carpet. This was almost too much for me.

Rather than a nice duvet for sleeping, the thin top plastic feeling comforter had balls all over it from overwashing. We didnot think that this was very appropriate for a luxury hotel.

The bathroom had a phone, which didn't work, and one light. It was very dark and dismal.

Oh yeah, we are accustom to having ice machines on each of the floors of the hotel. This hotel required that you buzz room service for ice. We found this astonishing, and also feel that the staff were put out for not tipping to recieve the free ice.

Overall, I was glad to leave the hotel and spend the day on the street.

I would never return, nor would I recommned this hotel to anyone I knew....unless you are looking for shady furniture masked by a nice lobby.

I feel my stay at the King Edward was like staying at a NO-TELL MOTEL with a nicer lobby.

nothing spectacular here

I was not impressed at this hotel. When first entering the room the decor was really out dated. The carpeting in our room was bubbling up in some places. The bathroom wasn't the greatest. The water pressure was lousy.

The reason why I gave it 2 stars was because I thought the man that brought our car around was very helpful with directions. Also the gentleman in the little grocery on the lower level was really helpful with tips on where to eat as well as other points of interest.

I left this hotel one day early because I couldn't stand to be their another day.

The location made it worth it

by TripAdvisor Member soxgal78

We stayed at the King Edward for two nights earlier this week. While it's true that $30 is steep for parking and some of the carpets looked like they could use a face lift, overall we were happy with the hotel. Our room (king bed though on a smoking floor) was very large, the bed was comfortable, and the towels and bathrobe were great. The marble bathroom could use more light, and the layout of our room put the TV about 15 feet from the bed -- not great for late-night watching. The location was what made the deal we got on Expedia even better -- only about a 10-15 minute walk to the SkyDome/CN Tower, and right in the middle of a lot of other attractions.

Looking for a good location to stay several nights in central Toronto.

by charlesracine

A group of us are looking for the best area to stay in Toronto. We will be staying several days over New Years Eve and are looking for recommendations on where to stay. Something close to public transportation, the hot spots, good local pubs and restaurants. We will choose a good hotel in that area, preferably a hotel with a New Years Function available. Last year the group was in London, UK for New Years.
All comments are appreciated. Thank you in advance, Chuck

by YVRDave

I like One King West. I find the new tower rooms are better.

by July2

Try this web site: http://www.showmetoronto.com/toronto-new-years-eve.php

If you Google a map of Toronto you'll see Yonge Street which bisects the city N/S. The downtown area is around Yonge and Front/Queen/King/Dundas/Bloor Sts.

Look for Nathan Philips Square; that puts you near the Eaton Centre and anything around that locality (lots of hotels) is very central and on the TTC (buses/subway). There are 3 central Holiday Inns; The Sutton Place Hotel and The King Edward Hotel are expensive. The Harbour Castle overlooks the water, and there is also the Royal York on Front Street.

The Bloor St. West area is good for clubs/pubs, etc, and also the Distillery District just west of downtown. The Theatre Area is not far from here.

Check out Yorkville/Cumberland Terrace area.

I hope you find something great!

by charlesracine

Thanks for your informative responses. This is the info that we needed and it will be very helpful.

by mikey_e

Try the Toronto Mariott Eaton Centre... Its literally steps from Nathan Philips Square, which is where all the city's New Year's parties will be.

Comments