Pantages Suites Hotel & Spa

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Pantages Suites Hotel & Spa

Unique and luxurious

We spent a weekend at Pantages from 10/1-10/3. This hotel is funky, mod, and goes way above and beyond. We got a great rate on expedia, and you would have never known we were paying less. Our room was a standard one-room suite, with washer dryer, stovetop, dishwasher, full size refrig, pots and pans and everything! Not to mention a funky cd player with a mixed cd in it - great music to relax to and get away from the city. By far however, the very best part was the luxurious bedding - the pillows, sheets, duvet, and mattress were so comfortable. The location was fantastic - we would go across the street to the mall and hop on the subway to go wherever we wanted to go. My boyfriend really loved the fitness room, they had all kinds of weight-lifting equipment and stuff, he was in heaven. Free wi-fi in the room, but i didn't feel like bringing my laptop - no problem though because in one of the phone nooks in the lobby there is a computer for guest use that we used to get directions to IKEA. :) The only downsides - and they were miniscule compared to all the great stuff about this hotel - was that the swipe cards kept getting deactivated (no big deal though cause I never had to wait more than 2 minutes at the desk) and the continental breakfast, served at the restaurant connected to the hotel, was really small - your choice of toast or a crossant and your choice of coffee, tea, or oj. Oh well. Can't wait to go back!!!

Great hotel, would stay there again

Stayed for 4 days at the end of a two week Canadian holiday. Great hotel, central location, well kitted out rooms. Despite the hotel being full, Jenny on reception prompty sorted out a problem with our reservation, switching us from a smoking to non-smoking room.

Staff are very helpful but seem very busy (maybe more are needed!?) and the outside sign and entrance doors don't reflect the standard inside.

Uh...what a shame!!!

How sad that a great concept basically created in New York has been copied...in essence...but not in service or the true style of a boutique style hotel. I was thrilled to find a new boutique hotel in Toronto...but alas its a dire dissapointment...Cool and I mean rude..reception..no interest at all taken in my check in...a manager who dodnt care if I was alive or dead and obvioulsly doesnt care if his staff are professional...
Rooms nice..spa gaudy...cool restaurant....and thats because its all new...in one year it will be a dump if maintained with the same attitude!!
If we are lucky...Toronto will have a cool hotel...if the managers or owners change their approac and attitude!

Great stay at the Pantages!

by TripAdvisor Member sarahc454

I just stayed at the Pantages for 7 nights and really loved it. The rooms are all brand new and I found it really handy to have a washer/dryer and a kitchen in my room, even though I never cooked in it. The rooms are nicely decorated and felt really comfortable, which is great when you are staying for a long time. Also, the nightly rocks you get are supercool! The only negatives were that because it just opened this year, they still do not have room service available. Fran's is downstairs, and is great, but they do not yet have a liquor license or ability to bill your room for any charges there. These kinks will likely get worked out soon, which will make it even better.

Too Many Snags

Problems were as follows: 1. Upon arrival on a Friday night, our reservation had been canceled because it had been made for Thursday and Friday and not Friday and Saturday. Our credit card had been charged for Thursday. We then had to convince the woman at the front desk that the mistake had not been ours. They upgraded us and promised to put Thursday nights charge towards the rest of our weekend stay.
2. We were given keys to someone else’s room and walked into an occupied hotel room.
3. Our room had clearly been partied in, had stains on the furniture and carpet. There was an air freshener but when it was removed after our first day, the room smelled or urine. We asked for the air freshener back but it never surfaced again.
4. Saturday hotel staff knocked on our door and asked us why we had not yet checked out.
5. Our final bill included the charge from Thursday night. When addresses we got a computer print out showing a credit for Thursday night.
6. I just received our credit card bill and we were charged for all three nights and I had to call and deal with it.
7. There is no bar. A "continental breakfast" is offered on the house at the neighboring diner, it consists of toast and canned juice. It is a ploy to get you in the diner to get a real breakfast.
One good thing. Adam is a great employee who organized transpiration for us with no hassle and dealt with our problems perfectly. The other staff we dealt with where not terribly competent.

The Motel 6 of Luxury Boutique Hotels

by TripAdvisor Member Adri&Dan

My husband and I were recently at this hotel for our anniversary. We were EXTREMELY DISSAPPOINTED!!!!! This is NOT a luxury boutique hotel.
We got the "romance package" and found the manicure, pedicure and massage satisfactory.
We opened our complimentary bottle of "champagne" (which was the cheapest champagne they could have got) My husband called room service to try to order something better and we were informed that they have no liquor license. I have never heard of a "luxury hotel" not having a liquor license.
They advertised that they have DVD players but they don't... and they only have basic cable (when I was in Cuba, a third world communist country even they had HBO, Bravo, BBC)
The staff at the front desk were not in the least welcoming but seemed rather annoyed that we were disturbing them. Having a room directly in front of St. Michael's hospital and being able to see patients in their beds hooked up to their IV was not the most romantic thing!!! This hotel needs SERIOUS RE-EVALUATION!!!!! If you're looking for a true boutique LUXURY hotel go to the Drake or the Soho Metropolitan or even the Windsor Arms maybe be a better alternative.

Great name, crappy hotel

My wife and I recently cambe back from a weekend stay at the Pantages, and it was dreadful!

The hotel avertises many things on its website, and lives up to very little. The rooms aren't overly large. The fixtures, while visually impressive, are of really cheap quality. My wife noticed that through the tear in the one of the chairs in the room, that it had been poorly recovered. By the look and feel of the chair, looks like the hotel bought it from a Ramada that was liquidating or something!

The staff are unfriendly, snobby and poorly trained. It took an incredible amount of time to check-in, even though there was nothing special or unique to our arrival.

The continental breakfast is a joke.
This hotel does a really good job at promoting itself online with jazzy pictures, but doesn't live up to expectations. A real case of over-promising and underdelivering.

For less money I could have stayed in a larger hotel room, received a better continental breakfast and been treated to service a customer deserves. I will return to the Cambridge Suites just one block away which is my favourite in Toronto. I never should have strayed!

Great hotel, smart and friendly staff, superb location

by TripAdvisor Member excentrus

After reading all the negative reviews about this new, downtown Toronto hotel, I thought I would offer my perspective. Perhaps they have ironed out the bugs, but my recent weekend stay was very very pleasant. First of all, this is not your typical hotel. I actually have a hard time describing it, but it is not a typical boutique hotel like the ones we find in Montreal...and it is definitely NOT a stuffy traditional hotel. It's FUN!

THE HITS : The reception and the staff were all very polite and helpful, particularily the concierge and bell-hop. Parking attendants were very prompt (supervised parking - 20 $ CAN. per day/night). The housekeeping did a marvelous job, turning down the bed in the evening and leaving semi-precious stone on the pillow. Cool (love... harmony... purify...)

The bed was SO comfortable..and the linens, duvet and pillows of high quality. I am a sucker for a super comfortable bed..and this one was one of the best. The towels and bath robe were perfect.

The continental breakfast at Frans (hotel adjacent and a Toronto tradition) was fine...good coffee and croissant.

Nice fridge and kitchen area, well stocked with munchies (I bought mineral water etc. at the market and stocked it for my own use)

Washer/dryer, micro-wave, dishwasher - didn't use them but nice to have the option.

CD player (YES!)

Toronto newspaper at the door very early in the morning.

The location is perfect - one block from Queen Street subway, one block from SHOPPING!

GREAT rate through expedia

THE MISSES : Security card magnetic stripe de-magnetized twice..not a big prob, just a nuisance.

Front desk thought I was checking out after one day. This shouldn't happen but it may be expedia's fault. If you book through a website, make sure the front desk knows the exact dates of your reservation.

Overall 4.5 stars, and a semi-precious stone! I will definitely be back.

Service lacking....

We have just ended a VERY disappointing stay at the Pantages. This hotel looks sleek in the promo, but has zero substance to back it up...Things are literally still being built, and some of the things that have been built, are falling apart and are CHEAP!!! The spa with its sleek interior, has an amateur staff and is HIGHLY unorganized. They "misplaced" our reservations, and we were given very average service upon our arrival for our rebooked appointments. Room service is from a local fast food diner, the front desk lacks in organization, and forget the ammenities-they are not here-the sheets are ruff, the towels-abrasive, dim lighting...but what they do have is great sandpaper, only they call it toilet paper!!!

Comments