Sutton Place Hotel

955 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2A2, Canada

• deptlads's Profile Photo

La Grande RĂ©sidence at The Sutton Place Hotel

We still can't quite understand this hotel. It seemed too good to be true when we booked it, and it turned out to be an even better deal than we could have wished for.

This is a pukka 4/5-star hotel (with doormen, a proper concierge etc.), and most of the guide books refer to its popularity with film stars etc. But we managed to book a "studio appartment" on one of the top floors (which are marketed separately as "La Grande RĂ©sidence") for just CAD109 per night (excl. taxes), which seemed a pretty good deal.

We wern't expecting that much (it seems that anything with a microwave qualifies as a "suite" at least). But what we got really was a complete one bedroom appartment, with separate bedroom, full kitchen (with fridge and freezer, proper cooker with hobs, oven and grill, dishwasher, double sink, loads of storage, worktops etc.), and reasonable-sized living room with dining area. Being on the 28th floor meant we also got a great view (not over a particularly interesting part of the city, but we did get to see sunrise over Lake Ontario).

Honestly, you could live in this place - and it seemed that some people on this floor actually did (all the rooms had letterboxes in the doors, and some had nameplates). The only drawback was that being right against the lift shaft there was an odd rumbling/wooshing noise ocasionally, but we stopped noticing this after an hour or so, and it was never audible from the bedroom.

Although the appartment floors are not supposed to be "full service", we still got daily chambermaid visits to attend to the bedding, change towels etc., and even clean our dirty crockery in the dishwasher.

Unbelievably good value for money at CAD109/night!

Unique Quality: Good location on Bay Street.
    Short walk (2-3 mins) to metro.
    Excellent service.

More about Sutton Place Hotel

The Sutton Place Hotel: Simply Overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member infotrad

Two hundred dollars (Canadian) a night for a hotel whose rooms facing Bay Street are noisy, very noisy. The dining-room prices raise the bar for overprices meals. Even if you earn over $150k a year, you still would rather go to the corner convenience store to get a sandwich. Nice toiletery products, though.
A better bet is the Delta Chelsea, which is slightly less expensive, super quite and close to dozens and dozens of restaurants, especially the wonderful Tai restaurant "The One", located just outsite the hotel's doors. Be wary of the Chinese restaurants, some are downright disgusting.
The Chelsea's lobby is perpetually buzzing with people but at breakfast, the choice is vry wide and "reasonable" (considering what hotels charge).

Bill Ripoff & Customer Abuse...

by TripAdvisor Member P2C

The Sutton Place Hotel bills itself as a high class, high service hotel. While the rooms are ok given the price, they are nothing special. The service is very mixed in quality. The front desk staff are brusque, (and close to being surly). The restaurant is more hospitable and the food is good. The most unpleasant surprise was on check out. When I went to clear my bill with my credit card, I was forced to sign a waiver authorizing an amount $200 above the amount of my bill. When I complained about this, I was told that if there were no damages, they would reduce the amount in a couple of days. When I continued to object, I was told this was 'normal' policy in Toronto. A guest from the US was also complaining with the same results. This blantant distrust of guests and this abusive policy will prevent me from ever staying there again.

good value for the money

by TripAdvisor Member Cambridgtravler

My son and I spent one night at the Sutton Place when visiting UToronto. It is a short walk to the University, also an easy walk to the shops and restaurants of Yorkville. We had booked a superior room with two beds at $225 CAD including breakfast, but on arrival were upgraded to a suite. It was very nice, two full baths, marble, nice furniture, not brand new but all attractive, very spacious and in good condition. Our only quibble was that not all rooms have high speed internet (we were on the 5th floor and didn't have it) though it was available elsewhere in the hotel. I would request a room with high speed internet if I came here again. There was a dial-up port on the phone but to a 17 year old that just doesn't cut it. The breakfast was excellent, above average hotel breakfast. The concierge was very nice and gave us recommendations for dinner. NICE TOUCH - when we returned from dinner, they had turned down the beds, left the obligatory chocolates, and FILLED THE ICE BUCKET.Excellent!

Faded grandeur

by TripAdvisor Member Scot_Wha's_Away

The lobby is plush and the rooms are big; once this would have been one of the city's great hotels. Now it's crying out for renovation. The building looks tired from the outside, and that's reflected in the fitments inside: our sink was pock marked and the furniture in the room was from a previous era. But the square footage of the accommodation was definitely impressive, and the hotel is conveniently located. We'd booked an Expedia bargain deal, so as usual, we got a low floor room with a view of, well, other low floor rooms. Maybe the upper floors are more impressive, but I suspect it all just needs a makeover.

Experienced terrible service

I stayed at the Sutton Place in Toronto in October 2005. Based on the website it looked like a fancy hotel and I was looking forward to staying there. I had even booked a suite (300/nt). The lobby was really nice. The room was large but nothing special. What I was really disappointed in was the service. I was appallingly bad. I called the front desk to ask some questions about local amenities and was cut off mid-sentence. My husband tried to send flowers to my room and they gave him such a hard time about it, he finally gave up. I even asked for a wake up call that I never got. I ran into some other guests in the hotel gym who had similar experiences during their stay. I have stayed in less fancy and less expensive hotels and received much better service. It was a real disappointment and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

$1200 Stolen From Closed Safe.

We had our wedding there. Great service for the wedding. Excellent food etc. However, while the rooms are nice and clean, they are out-dated and my father had over $1200 CAD stolen *from the safe* that was closed but did not lock properly. So, one of the housekeepers really had to make an effort to go into the shut closet and closed safe to steal the cash for our wedding. The managers essentially said "too bad" and did not do anything about it.

A Hotel First!

by TripAdvisor Member elien

We spent Dec 1-4 at the Sutton Place and found the room very clean and comfortable. On checkout, we left a large bag containing christmas gifts in the room (very useable ski clothing!) - to my surprise it was turned in and picked up by my son later that day. I have stayed in many upscale hotels, but nothing I have ever left behind has been turned in. My son said he was told many christmas shoppings were left behind/turned in that weekend. I'd say that is a big plus for this hotel. Would definitely stay there again.

A great experience

by TripAdvisor Member agbdmb

Having read several dreadful reviews for this hotel, we arrived worrying about how it would all turn out. In fact, the suite was wonderful, very spacious, terrific beds and mattresses, exceptionally clean. The kitchen had not only a stove and refrigerator but a dishwasher and the only problem was not enough dishes and dish cloths and tea towels.The problems were solved with one call to housekeeping. The room service was great. We have stayed in suites in London, Paris, Rome, Toronto, Vancouver, New York and elsewhere and the Sutton Place experience was remarkable!! I would seriously recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an above-average experience in a superb hotel at a very resonable price.

Lovely and romantic

by TripAdvisor Member montrealitgirl

I had not sen my husband for over a month, and we met in Toronto for a romantic weekend. I got a great rate on expedia and chose to book a deluxe King room as a treat. I was a little nervous from some of the reviews.... i needn't have been! Upon check in ( after a horendous drive from Montreal, in a storm) the valet was very quick in helping me unload my bags , and took the car to be parked. at 28 dollars a day for valet service and in/out priviledges, this is really worth it! At the check in counter, i was assureed that i was in a renovated King room and i went up in great anticipation. I first stopped by the COncierge desk, where they were very helpfull in setting up a massage for me on very short notice at the Still water spa ( a must!) I then went to my room. I was dissapointed, as the room did not look like the web site photos of the renovated rooms. This weekend was too important to me to be in a shabby room. I asked for a nicer room, and the personnel gave me three rooms to look at and choose from.

I chose room 1719 which is lovely, done in a french versaille decor. It is really big, and has a nice bathroom with marble. The only down-side to the room, is its old heating system. The air feels very dry and it makesalotMu husband arrived the next morning and we had a lovely remainder of our weekend. I would say this room is almost perfect. The staff are nice, and try to make you feel like you are in a special place.

I also ate at the restaurant ( Accents) on my first night there. I had a good stirfry with prawns ( slightly over-cooked) with coconut rice. The service was perfect. The ambience of the restaurant is very old-school; lots of dark wood and a bit dimly lit, but pleasant enough. The bartender was wonderfull, and she even made me a custom-drink involving ice-cream and creme de cacao! yummy!

We dined at Ruth Chris's the following night, which, as usual was perfect!

coming to Canada for the first time

by denise.cummins

Hi, I am coming with my husband for a holiday in Canada in September. Have no idea where to go and stay. Canada is huge. Can anyone give me any ideas. Appreciate any help.

by cachaseiro

the islands off the canadian west coast are very scenic and pleasant.

by johngayton

Yes Canada IS a huge and diverse country. Personally I would start from either Quebec City or Montreal as both are interesting cities with rich culture and history. What I loved about Quebec as a Province is that, being French-speaking, you actually feel as if you are somewhere foreign. Ottawa is an attractive city as is Toronto but I found them very "unchallenging". I've heard a lot of good things about Western Canada and the Rckies which would also be worth considering but I've no direct experience of that area.

Wherever you choose - enjoy!

by Redlats

It is an impossible question to answer without knowing more about the question. Are you driving? flying? for a weekend? a month? Do you camp? or stay in 5-star hotels? Do you like hiking? museums? history? cities? country? mountains? seashores? wild animals? shopping? gambling? golfing?

Canada has a lot of choice.

by Mikebb

Give us more details as Redlats says. We had 3 weeks in Canada 2 years ago , Quebec Toronto, Niagra Falls ect on the East coast then flight into Calgary, Banff, Jasper , Rocky Mountains etc and train to Vancouver.

A very large country, you need time to see sections of it. I recommend you visit the VT pages of the members who have replied and you will gain a better idea of what is available and time required.
Mike

by wise23girl

Well Denise you have so much to choose from. We loved Vancouver, The Rockies (by train" Gold Star" and coach ) and "yes" Vancouver Island.
We flew back to Vancouver by seaplane...beautiful views.

But I would love to see all the other VTs have suggested too.

Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver Ph +1 604682551