Ten Cawthra Square Bed & Breakfast Inn

Modern TechnologyModern Technology

street performer.street performer.

A playful / decoration machineA playful / decoration machine

And Spicy!And Spicy!

better winter driving route from New York to Toronto?

by patiobarbecue

Hey, there, I am going to drive tomorrow (Sunday) from New York to Toronto for an interview on Monday. The weather is pretty bad as snowing along the way, not the best time to travel (if not for the job interview) !!!

Do you have any experience with the following two routes? Please share with me. Thanks.

Route 1: new york -> albany -> kingston -> toronto

Route 2: new york -> binghamtown -> buffalo -> toronto

the weather along route 1 seems not as worse as route2 for tomorrow due to less windy and less snow.

route 1: 10-15 mph, 1-3 inch

route 2: 10-25mph, 3-5 inch

I was told that bufallo is more likely to have traffic jam as well.

by TexasDave

I would take the second route. 3-5 inches of snow is Western New York is nothing and the major highways are well maintained. And you're able to go right around the outskirts of Buffalo by taking the Thruway (I-90) to 290, then to 190 over to Niagara Falls.

by nicolaitan

assuming in route one that the kingston you are talking about is kingston ontario that would require taking I81 north from syracuse to canada. that is a cold snowy stretch of road. better to take the route thru buffalo - depending on the time of day you will hit traffic, but better than being stuck on I81 with no traffic.

by pcg821

1 Best route would be cross the GWB and take I-80 west into Pa.
2 Get off Exit 293 I-380 to Scranton
3 Take exit ramp 188 to I-81 north to Binghamton NY
4 After getting to Binghamton Keep to the right and follow I-81 north to Syracuse
5 Follow I-81 into Syracuse,take Exit to I 690 Fairgrounds
6 Follow I 690 get off Exit 1 for I-90 witch is the New York State Thruway,take
I 90 west to Buffalo
7 Get off exit 50 onto I 290 to Niagara Falls,then keep right onto I 190 to Niagara Falls
8: Entering Ontario
13At exit 44, road name changes to Qew [Queen Elizabeth Way]
14 Road name changes to James N Allen Skyway Bridge [Qew]
15 Road name changes to Qew [Queen Elizabeth Way]
16 Merge onto Hwy-403 [Qew]
17 Keep STRAIGHT onto Qew [Queen Elizabeth Way] towards Qew / Toronto (Downtown)

Going the Thruway all the way to Albany an then across upstate NY is a much longer distance and about a hour or more longer in time plus a lot more money in tolls.

Thruway website to check road conditions

Travel Tips for Toronto

The Toronto Island Ferries at Sunset

by Paul2001

While you are in Toronto and are looking for romance or simply want to see Toronto's skyline at its best then take a trip on the Island ferry at sunset. I have done this several times and sight of seening the skyline at this time on a clear calm night never fails to mesmerize me. Ideally this should be done from Ward's Island from where the ferry cuts across to the other Island docks before returning to the Main Ferry Terminal. For just $5.00 it is a cheap way to see the city.

Little Italy is a great city...

by moniksss

Little Italy is a great city itself. That was freezing that day I was there, but I could imagine it in summertime...hum. I walket a lot in Bloor Street where there is a lot of great places to stop by. Very nice bistro and Korean restaurants.

Multicultural Toronto

by Paul2001

One day I was walking on Yonge Street by the Eaton Centre and a Krishna procession started down the street. I took several pictures and watched in fascination. Then right after they marched by there was yet another parade proceeding down Yonge Street. This was the Orange Day parade. Right there in just 30 minutes I was experiencing a classic example of multiculturalism in Toronto. A blending of old generation and new. Hang around in Toronto long enough and this will happen to you too. I have accidently stumbled into cultural festivals all the time in Toronto with peoples from Romania, Russia, China and Portugal. If you are active and like to walk about, Toronto is full of such pleasurable surprises.

Taste of Little Italy

by lohki

One of my favorite street festivals here in Toronto is "Taste of Little Italy." Part of the allure can be attributed to the fact that I live in walking distance, and of course I do love food, besides any weekend that a major street is shut down for cavorting is okay in my books.

Located of College Street between Bathurst and Shaw, this weekend festival is mid June and a great way to kick off the summer in Toronto. If you are in town mid June head on down and check it out.

Many of the restaurants have extended (larger) patios for ample beer consumption as well as BBQ's or grills set up on the street selling a taste of their menus. This year the big hit was spaducci (lamb skewers) at Cafe Diplomatico, and the pork, apple skewers at Veni Vedi Vici.

Take a look at the travelouge for more pictures and treats!

A Loony (or a Toony) For Your Thoughts

by gilabrand

Hang on to those loonies and toonies - Canada's $1 and $2 coins. You'll need them for airport carts, public phones and parking meters.

The loony is an 11-sided gold coin with a picture of a loon on one side (a protected species of bird, related to the penguin) and a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II on the other.

The toony is a silver coin with a gold center. One side has a polar bear on it and on the other - there's no escaping her - it's the queen again.

Comments