The Cosmopolitan Hotel

Priceline.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 78% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Sinnocent's Profile Photo

Wonderful Home Away From Home

This boutique hotel is very conveniently located in downtown Toronto. I booked the room through Travelocity for a better rate, then called to specify a smoking room. There are only 5 smoking rooms in this hotel (7th floor only) so make sure there's availability before you book. I believe all smoking rooms are deluxe level rooms.

My room wasn't ready when I first checked in (arrived at 11AM) but they stowed my luggage while I went exploring the neighborhood. When I returned at 1:30, my room was ready and my luggage brought upstairs. Having just come from the sister hotel, Pantages, I was a little disappointed when I saw no shop in the lobby, but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

The first thing I noticed was the separate bedroom, rather than a studio. Preferable when having guests over for dinner. Unlike Pantages, this room has a mini-bar fridge, rather than full size, so get the mini-bar key when you check in if you think you'll need the extra space. The kitchen is nicely appointed, and there are loads of items for purchase if you so desire.

In addition to the fridge, there is a 4 burner stove, microwave, dishwasher, pots/pans, coffee maker, electric tea kettle, toaster and service for 4, including glasses and stemware. Plenty of cabinet space for your groceries. It's just a short cab ride away from the Metro supermarket. The freezer is narrow so keep that in mind when purchasing frozen items. They might not fit.

The beds are firm but very comfortable with Egyptian cotton linens. The bedroom has its own television so there's no fighting over the remote. Located under the nightstand, I was pleased to find an air cleaner. Never see those in hotel rooms.

The bathroom was smallish and contained a glass enclosed shower stall. I was a little confused why there was a faucet in the shower stall, but it occurred to me that because you need to step in completely to turn the water on, it allows you to correct the temperature so you're not drenched in cold water. A nice little consideration.

In the living area, there's a loveseat lounger and desk with chair, complete with CD player and relaxation CDs. Separating that from the kitchen area is a breakfast nook with lovely bamboo plants. Overall, it was a nice simplistic design that had "Zen" written all over it. Very soothing.

For added convenience, there is a washer/dryer combo hidden away in the closet.

The turndown service is a nice touch as well. A healing stone is left on your bed, along with incense. You choose the scent when you check in. I prefer Ocean.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the room and service. Bianca at the front desk was simply wonderful and I hope to see her again at Caribana this summer.

• Jenn50000's Profile Photo

Toronto hotel hot spot

I stayed at this hotel and it was nice, but overrated The location was great! It was rated by Conde Nast in the top 60 or so of the newest boutique hotels. If you are self sufficient and don't require a lot of hotel maintenance, then this is a great place. However, when I am paying a lot of money for my room, I expect service.

The hotel itself is very new and so is the staff. We encountered numerous service problems. .. These included the wrong breakfast, no answer regarding dinner reservations, plumbing problems, etc. In fact, I would not return based on the service. Even at check out, there was someone complaining because a cornice had fallen on their head when they pulled the blinds down.

• Boutique Hotel

funky, modern, located in the Financial Area of Toronto, just off King Street,
    Still some delay with liquer service, but should be fixed shortly. I would highly recommend it.
    Concierge service available.

More about The Cosmopolitan Hotel

LCD screens & zen fountains

i was sitting in my room and lookin on the zen fountain transferrring energey from the unique stones to the entire room whan i got comfortably soothed i reached out the remote - lighting up the cool lcd plasma screen that showed me all kind of meditations and yoga positions - now this is cool dont you think?

Inaccessible, 3 star at best!

Arriving to a hotel after a long trip you would hope that it is easy to find, and the instructions provided by the hotel are easily followed. This was not the case for the cosmopolitan.

The hotel is on a small, secluded street that is impossible to access. Either you have to cross a VERY busy Yonge Street with hundreds of cars and thousands of pedestrians or you go through a zig-zag of other streets coming from the other side. This place was a joke to find and the online printed directions put you on a wild goose chase!

the rooms are small, and cluttered, especially the bedroom. There isn't more than 2 feet on either side of the bed before you hit the wall, and the closet space is pathetic. This is no place for longterm stay guests.

what upset me the most was that on the day of my checkout I arranged a late checkout of 2pm. by no fault of my own, I was running late and when I returned to the hotel at 1:30 to checkout my keys no longer worked. If somsone requests a late checkout, their keys should work until they leave. after getting the third degree from the front desk person, i finally did get to room to get my things.

The service at this place is lacklustre and it is 3 star at best, stay at the Park Hyatt or even the SoHo if you really want to feel pampered and as if you're in an oasis, I sure will next time.

Unclean!

This hotel has to have been one of the most uncleanly I have ever stayed in. Everything looks very nice because the hotel was just recently built, but many of the features aren't finished, and their hosuekeeping department does a terrible job.

The bathmat is made of a thick woven yarn and if you look closely, you can clearly see that it has attracted hair for a plethora of other guests. And between me and my boyfriend... we could clearly see some of those hairs were not ours.

The dining utensils left out on the counter were also used but still sitting there, perhaps the housekeeper was not too attentive. The bowl had hard bits of food on it and the fork was used too.

Housekeeping doesn't appear to have a chute anywhere for dirty laundry, so during our entire stay there were large black bags in the stairwell with dirty laundry in some, and clean in others. Not only is this unorthodox, but unclean! I have never heard of a hotel without a laundry chute!

The safe is under the sink and VERY inaccessible.

Party house with no privacy

Stayed at this hotel the last weekend of July/first week of August and it was a nightmare. It was party central and we couldn't get a minutes worth of shut eye all night it seemed. Upon several attempts to call the Front Desk to notify them of the disturbance we gave up since it was useless. My husband was also walked in on by a staff person depsite the "Rearrange my life" sign (Which is their quirky and somewhat insluting take on the traditional Do Not Disturb Sign at other hotels). I will never return.

Fantastic new hotel.....

.....which will only get better when it is fully opened.

We can't fault the Cosmopolitan, from the fantastic and friendly service to the amazingly comfortable bed (not to mention the plasma tv!). We loved the ambience and the little touches such as leaving us an amethyst and quartz stone in the bedroom.

We thought the location was fine. Ideally placed for downtown and 2 minutes walk from subway and streetcar stops on Yonge / King Streets. The taxi to and from the airport only took 20 minutes so not sure why the location has been criticised.

One slight criticism; more soap please!!

Some Problems at the COSMO!

I recently got back from my two nights at the cosmo. I rented an upgraded suite, but was disappointed with the layout and lack of entertaining space. The seperate living room was SMALL!!! and was furnished only with two small chairs. I thought it was a little ridiculous that they didn't have a couch or a love seat in a suite.

It may have been me, but the lobby desk people rubed me the wrong way when I had questions or were making comments on my stay (I mentioned my dissappointment). Overall, I don't think they are as polished as other Toronto counterparts.

I'm waiting for the competition across the street to open up (One King West), so I can try them out.

I doubt I'll return here.

Worst way to spend a day of my life!!!

It wasn't the rate ($249/night), and it wasn't the shortage of clean towels in my room (only 1 for 3 people on the second night), what the worst part of my experience at this awful hotel was the staff.
Right for the moment I walked into the lobby, not one staff member looked up from their "duties" to even make eye contact with me. And when I finally got face to face with the desk staff, he refused to address me by my last name! I am not one to ask people to call me by my surname, but there is something wrong with a 20 year old girl calling me "Terry" (my name happens to be Terrance)!!
The rooms were not too bad, but having grown up in Vancouver, I know the difference between Zen and a bad knock-off.

I will never spend another night of my life in a hotel like this, because, quite frankly, life is too short.

Lodging in London suggestions, family of 4

by dmcourtspahr

Hi, Have never been to Canada so we're not familiar with the area at all. We're looking for reasonable accommadation for a family of 4 in the London, Ontario area. Also, some attractions, fun, educational, historical, sports, etc. Something for all of our interests. Do we need a car or is public transport easy to use for getting around the area. We're hoping to spend about 2 weeks in the area sometime in late June or mid-July, 2006. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. We're thinking of of flying into Buffalo, New York, pick up a rental car and drive to London. Can stop along the way to see The Falls (on the Canadian side is best I'm told), and any other items that strike our interests. Thanks for the help.

RE: Lodging in London suggestions, family of 4

by hawkhead

Try these sites www.london.ca www.londontourism.ca to give you a good general overview. Did you know that you can also fly into London www.londonairport.on.ca
Stratford is not too far and has an excellent theatre
You would definitely need a car. If you're going to see Niagara Falls (and the Canadian side is definitely the best), then you might take time to do a tour of the wineries.

RE: Lodging in London suggestions, family of 4

by TexasDave

Also investigate Niagara-On-The-Lake. And cosmopolitan Toronto is only 1 1/2 hours away by car.

Comments