60 York St., At Wellington St., Toronto, Ontario, M5J 1S8, Canada

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• tvor's Profile Photo

Average Hotel downtown Toronto

I've stayed at the Strathcona Hotel once before but i don't remember much about that stay other than it didn't leave a negative or overly positive impression. I guess it was just fine. This time, the rates we got of Travelocity were attractive enough to jump at it. The room we booked was a "superior queen", one up from the basic room and it was fine. The room was clean, not overly large but large enough for two. There's a sort of bench type seat along one side of the bed and a bedside table on the other. There's a desk in the corner and a closet with space for your suitcase and the bathroom is small but not cramped. We found the mattress a bit hard but oddly we weren't that stiff in the morning. Beds are a matter of taste, so your mileage may vary. The television in the room was still the older tube tv and we found it blurry so it definitely could use upgrading. We were not facing the street so the only view was a concrete wall. I suppose that makes it a tad quieter but sounds like sirens and large vehicles were still clear as it didn't seem like the room had very good soundproofing.

The hotel is advertised as Luxury but unless some of the suites and larger rooms are nicer, i don't think i'd put it in that class. If it's a luxury hotel, all the rooms should reflect it, even the more basic ones. The hotel could use a bit of upgrading for things like the in-room television, for instance, and providing free wi-fi in the hotel would be nice, too, not just for the upscale expensive business rooms. No matter, though, we were happy enough there.

We ate a buffet breakfast in the restaurant one morning and it was pretty good (breakfast wasn't included with the room price) and we ate in the pub as well. The food was pretty good and the price, while a bit expensive, wasn't outrageous for hotel food. The pub has a few large screen tvs with ads and sports for view but was comfortable but closes around 10. Not very late for downtown, i should think. The Strathcona does room service but only until 10 p.m. as it comes from the kitchen in the pub. We did order room service on our first night as we checked in after 9 and were tired from traveling. Room service was prompt and the food was still hot. Because our room only had a desk and another small end table, one of us ate sitting on the bed by the desk and the other on the banquette at the small table.

The Strathcona also has more deluxe rooms and suites i think. The service was fine and when the lobby computers weren't working right, the desk clerk printed our boarding passes off on his computer. You can do that for free but any other internet access is at a cost including wifi so we didn't bother with that. The hotel location is excellent, just a block up from Union Station which is a transportation hub for the Go trains and the subway/underground with busses and streetcars rambling by Front Street as well. The airport express bus stops right across the street by the side of the Royal York Hotel. There are lots of restaurants within short distances and you're not far from the theatres, Yonge Street and the CN Tower.

Unique Quality: Handy for the airport bus which stops off across the street at the side of the Royal York, also handy for the Train and subway system at Union Station.

If you get a good deal, and aren't too fussy about amenities, this is a decent hotel and the location is hard to beat. I believe parking is expensive and is in a large nearby underground parking garage which isn't the easiest to find, so some friends told us.

The two computers that are available for guests to use are in a glass booth right in the lobby. Not really condusive to privacy. They charge for internet use but do not charge for printing off boarding passes.

Directions: From Union Station, turn left, up a block and across the street on York St. running along the Royal York Hotel.

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

Comfortable, Centrally Located & recommendable

We love these hotel and it is all worth our staying. We were so happy to have come across these discounted hotel. The employee are so helpful and go out of their ways to make your stay even more comfortable.

Unique Quality: It is clean, centralized and staff are very helpful making your stay much more comfortable.

Directions: very centrallized.

• Blanula's Profile Photo

Good location

The rooms are on the small side but nobody can beat the location. Just a minute from Union Station and Via Train, 5 minutes from CN Tower. Opposite is Tim Horton's coffee house which is open 24 hours (I loved their French Vanilla coffee).
    Receptionists were friendly, the rooms were tidy. The only thing I didn't like was the wallpaper in the bathroom and the cracked sink.
    All in all we had a pleasant stay.

Directions: opposite Royal York hotel

• rdo911's Profile Photo

Reasonably priced downtown Hotel

Located right in the heart of Toronto, the Strathcona is an excellent place to stay. You are right next to Union Station which includes VIA Rail trains plus the GO trains for commutes to nearby towns like Oakville.

• tpal's Profile Photo

Affordable Hotel in the High Rent District

Toronto is like any other world class city...if you want, you can spend a lot of money on a hotel. This tip is not for those of you looking for this option. When we travel (like many VTers), we are are usually trying to find affordable accommodations that provide a minimum level of comfort and security. Along with this we have some other requirements. We're not big on staying out in the suburbs of a large metropolitan area and we try to avoided large chain hotels unless it's an overnight, on the road, stop over.

The Strathcona Hotel meets our requirements on all accounts. Carol and I have stayed there four times in the last three years, so we are very confident about our recommendation.

Unique Quality: The hotel is located on York Street at the corner of Wellington Street W, in the heart of downtown. Nearly across the street is the Fairmont Royal York Hotel, a five star, luxury hotel with an international reputation...and a rate schedule to match. It is also within easy walking distance to Union Station and the Metro stop, The CN Tower and the Skydome, numerous restaurants and...a Tim Horton's Donuts across the street.

The hotel lobby is small but attractive and the hotel cafe is located directly off the lobby. The rooms are clean, fresh and comfortable. The one disadvantage is that the hotel does not have its own parking but there is a public parking lot about two blocks away which is reasonable. Check out the web site below for detailed information and photos.

One important note...online rates are considerably less than rates quoted when contacting the hotel directly.

Note: Price range below is for "Double Occupancy Per Person"

Directions: at the corner of Wellington Street W

• Inexpensive

I got a deal off of Hotwire.com where I only paid $50 US a night to stay here. I would recommend staying here if you're traveling solo. There's also a 24 hour coffee/donut shop right across the street. Also a bus to the airport comes by every 30 minutes, which comes in handy

Unique Quality: I must say the room was incredibly small, but like I always say, if you're on vacation...you should only be sleeping in the room anyway, not spending all of your time there. I will say the room was incredibly clean though, and so where the hallways. It also is in a great downtown location, close to everything.

Directions: It's right near Union Station, not even a block away.

• Aragina's Profile Photo

STRATHCONA

From $61 a night

Unique Quality: Just Steps From Cn Tower, Union Station, Skydome, Air Canada Centre, Hockey Hall Of Fame, Toronto Eaton Centre, Harbourfront Centre, The Toronto Theatre District. Very central for everything and not far from the Bus stop to the Airport

More about The Strathcona Hotel

I kept some literature from...

by Luis_Alberto

I kept some literature from the hotel I stayed when I was in Toronto, Ontario. This was the Strathcona hotel, which I do recommend for budget minded travelers to this city. Very close to a subway station, in front of the Airport bus terminal building, and less than a block away from the Royal York Hotel. Excellent location.

Absolutely Great!

Stayed at the Strathcona Hotel for a long weekend before the Christmas holiday and couldn't have been more pleased! Location is excellent, hotel clean, well-appointed, staff extremely helpful and pleasant.
Based on reviews posted here I was ready for the rooms to be the size of postage stamps -- my standard double was a pleasant surprise. Room had a queen bed, large color TV in a nice wooden armoire, two matching nightstands, a desk, chair and a roomy closet. The bath was bright, clean, and contained a tub equipped with shower, commode and pedestal sink. Couldn't have been more impressed by this cozy, convenient, tastefully-decorated hotel -- and have no reservations making it my hotel of choice when I return to Toronto. P.S. Check for special offers on Expedia. com before booking. I got an exceptionally good deal and if you book online with a US company and pay in USD ahead of time, you avoid the GST as well!

Unbeatable value and location

by TripAdvisor Member mushroomsleepy

Unless your pocketbook is bottomless, and you need to stay in a posh setting, the Strathcona offers it all: location, value, courteous service and cleanliness. Sure, the rooms are a bit smaller than most, but this is hardly a drawback. Even has a restaurant and pub on premises. Absolutely no complaints. Money saved on hotel is better spent on attractions and food in the city.

Toronto in November

by Hobbes28

Hi fellow VTs in Toronto! I will be traveling to Toronto around the 3rd week of November. Is there any cheap but good accomodations available (or even home stay) around the vicinity of the Royal York Hotel? And how is the weather by then? Thanks!!!

by PavlH

The Novotel is just down the road and pretty reasonable.
Rooms are clean and beds are comfortable.

by tgreg

RIght across the street (to the west) is the Strathcona Hotel. It's much cheaper as it's an old hotel (small rooms, not much atmosphere) that has recently gone through some renos.

You might want to check out the reviews first though. Some are at

by roger-ramjet

there are also 2 hostels with a 10min walk the canadian and the global village both have websites just check google. they are about 20bucks a night and ok. Also the weather will be around 10c

by Hobbes28

thanks for the info!!!

by Suzanne123

Near the Royal York is the business district. There is the train station and a business convention centre. It is not a cheap area.

by RSRaz

List of downtown hotels

I some times stay at the Quality hotel downtown. It has minimum facilities but it is cheap and clean and near the Royal York. Plenty of resturants near there so no need to eat hotel food. Weather late November is very varible cool to cold, sunny to wet .

• barbaraandmax's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I just got home from doing a three-day Gem Expo in Toronto at the Hyatt Regency (fyi, I'm writing this post on 1 Aug '13), one of the higher-end hotels on King Street, but even with their vendor package discount I could not afford to stay there -- however, I did take advantage of their vendor parking package negotiated by the show organisers (in and out privileges, apparently, but I perma-parked my truck and walked everywhere, and in the end it was cheaper than parking near the Strathcona where I stayed). Because this was a very last minute decision to do the show, I didn't have the luxury of much choice. I found lots of hotels that were within my very limited budget -- I was looking for something under $100 a night -- further out of the downtown core but then I'd have the added expense of public transit or cabbing everywhere. I looked at nearby youth hostels which were well within my budget but booked up for the weekend I needed. There would also be the noise factor there to consider with coming and going all night.

I had stayed at the Strathcona back in the mid-'90s in a regular room, and they popped up on my search. I found out this time they have these tiny rooms with only a twin bed available -- I think they call them an Eco room, maybe? -- but you pretty much have to know they exist because it's almost impossible to find on their website. How tiny? The freight elevator I'd just used at the Hyatt was larger! I'm not joking! BUT, it was cheap, just over $100 a night. It was, as noted above, spotlessly clean, as were the halls, with a serviceable bathroom, hair dryer and iron and ironing board mounted on the walls, and while I had no window to speak of, just a teensy one where I could look up at a brick wall, I was there to sleep, not sit in my hotel room for hours admiring the view of a high rise office tower or condo across the street.

I know Toronto very well having lived there on and off since the '70s and there are a zillion great places to eat. The Gem Expo was held across the street from Restaurant Row which, lit up at night like a fairyland with outdoor seating all along the street catering to every foodie craving, was awfully tempting (think Saint-Michel in Paris but with very polite -- this is Canada, after all -- smiling people standing out front holding menus), but because I was so beat from doing the show I ended up eating dinner each night at the Pub in the basement of the Strathcona where I sat barely a dozen steps to the elevator and my room. Ice cold draft, a variety of freshly-prepared pub grub selections on their menu (you face the kitchen and chef as you walk into the pub itself which to me, having worked in my fair share of up and down-scale restaurants, is *always* a good sign) and at a far better price than most of the other trendy places I could have chosen from. Very kind staff... and I got the sense that it was also somewhat of a hangout for locals, not just hotel guests, also a good sign. Think Cheers without the cheese. Quiet, low-key, but very welcoming. I didn't eat breakfast in the Strathcona's coffee shop, but it looked very good, if a tad expensive for me. Next time, though.

As other people have noted there's a 24-hour Tim Horton's across the street, steps away from that is the Royal York and the airport bus (also the bus to the Toronto Island Airport and Porter Airlines, I believe), and across the street from the Royal York is Union Station, so you've got public transit or are within walking distance to so many interesting things to see and do during the day and evening. It's a quiet and very safe area to walk in at night for being in the middle of downtown.