The Suites At 1 King West

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

The Suites at 1 King West

All the reviews I'd read about the Suites at 1st King West raved about "the spectacular view". Well, let me tell you--the view isn't so spectacular if they put you on a lower floor--the fifth floor, in my case. And the check-in girl, God! Things are always slow when you're in a rush, right? I'm supposed to meet some people at a pub in about half an hour. It was although she'd never seen a computer before. She kept having to go find somebody to help her. Check-in took over 20 minutes. That left me less than 10 to drop my bag off, rinse my face, and run to a pub 6 blocks away.
    The room is smaller than what I'd seen in the advertised photos. Despite all the amazing appliances built into the cupboards--washer, dryer, dishwasher, microwave, it's really just a one room mini-bachelor. Is that really "a suite"?
    In the bathroom there's a tub with no shower on one side of the room and on the other side of the room there's a standup shower. I find that kind of odd. Why couldn't they just go with the standard tub/shower design?
    But the bed is amazing! The bed is a giant, fluffy, cushy white cloud that enwraps you when you lay down. A giant marshmallow, if you will.
    Over the next two days I get more used to the hotel and the room. It's pretty nice. I think it's supposed to be incredibly fancy place, but it doesn't completely pull that off with all the scaffolding on the building's facade. An unmanned window-washer platform keeps going up and down in front of my window one morning. My companion and I find it disturbing at first, but later howl with laughter each time it passes.
    The maids who cleaned our room did a great job each day. I tip my hat to them.
    The hotel's in a great location--right across from a subway stop and within easy walking distance to everything important downtown. There's also a Starbucks directly across the street and a Tim Horton's down the road.
    Verdict? Nice. But kind of "Twilight Zone" weird at the same time. Oh, but the bed! Designed by angels!

Unique Quality: This is a completely smoke-free hotel. A small pool and fitness centre.

Directions: Corner of King West and Yonge Street. (King subway stop.)

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Historic Value

During my original visit to One King West you get the feeling of a quality hotel yet for the price you also feel that you are getting a good value. The hotel is on a historic premises from the original Michie & Co. Grocers and Wine Merchants established in the mid 1800’s to the storied past of the Dominion Bank of Canada constructed in 1914.

Constructed in 1914 as the Head Office of The Dominion Bank of Canada, the building was one of the tallest in Toronto. The décor within harkens back to that time, with the spectacular 45-foot high ceiling and the great banking hall. There is a picture of me attached in the old vault.

I actually booked at this location because I had read another review from a past guest that recommended as a good place if you are planning to work out and I was planning to bring my sneakers this trip. I used the fitness area and was really impressed with this area. It was actually busier than most hotel fitness rooms.

I liked the treadmills because they had cable hooked up to them and I got to watch the hockey game that was on that night.

So overall I slept well at this hotel which can be rare, it was quiet there and right from this location you can go downstairs and right into the underground "PATH", Toronto's underground shopping center and do some shopping. This was convenient just before Christmas!

Unique Quality: A historic ambiance, a great location in my view on the corner of King and Yonge Streets. It was just a short walk from One King West to the Raptors game at the ACC.

The fact the hotel is a suite hotel I liked the extra amenities including the washer, dryer and so on.

Directions: Downtown

More about The Suites At 1 King West

Magnificent!

I have just returned from a trip to Toronto, Canada. My husband and I stayed at the Suites at 1 King West and it was our favorite hotel in the city (and we stayed at a few). The price was reasonable compared to other hotels but the studio suite had a kitchenette that also included a washer and dryer. We were able to have internet access in our room as well for a very modest fee. The hotel is ideally situated in downtown Toronto and everything we wanted to see was within walking distance. If you are going to Toronto, we highly recommend this hotel.

Glad I Shopped Around

Originally booked a room at an older, more established luxury hotel at a reduced friends/family rate but still decided just to look around. Found the reviews on this hotel and decided to take the plunge. Best decision I could have made! Suite was one of the smaller ones but perfectly laid out and very nicely decorated. Loved the kitchenette and actually used the washer and dryer to do some laundry before I packed up to leave.

It was within walking distance of many attractions and right on top of the subway entrance. I will definitely return and hopefully the restaurant will be up and running. The friends who dropped by were also very impressed both by the suite and by the price.

Overall Good, some negative points

by TripAdvisor Member tomg60601

I like the hotel very much, but a few negatives were experienced. Positive first: New amenities, stand up shower, conveniently placed mirrors, great bed, hidden washer and dryer. Great pools and gym area very convenient. They will drive you around town in their Bentleys if your going out, plus the driver can get you into clubs (Ultra, West), I forgot his name already though. Some negatives: Food at the bar and roomservice seemed average, poor selection, salty burger. There is not a functioning restaurant though they are working on it and when done will look great. I had asked to be moved to a larger suite with a better view of the CN Tower, they could not accomodate me and didnt follow up on the following days to see if I would still like to move, why not make such requests a priority if at all possible? The suite itself I felt was small, I had stayed at the Hilton and Sheraton previously and had really really large rooms for under $80US. If you would like to try this place for $129Cn you wont have a bad experience but I think my favorite is still the Hilton, large rooms, great restaurant.

I want to go back!! Such a nice hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member cheezy

We found ourselves in Toronto on a spur-of-the-moment drive after a wedding in Hamilton. I used the hotel's internet (in Hamilton) to pop onto a travel site and got a suite in this beautiful hotel for such a steal!! The sheets are like buttercream, the room is classic and modern, the staff went above and beyond, (and we felt seriously underdressed at check in, but they didn't look down thy noses!)

I would go back in an instant. They have these old vintage cars in front, with 1King on the license plates, I asked about them (cool old caddy) and on the way out we found out we could have gotten a lift somewhere in one of them. BUMMER! I would have loved to do that, found out too late.

Very nice, fair price

This is a nice hotel. Great location, nice and clean rooms and a good price. I stayed in this hotel for one night. I had low expectations because it's much cheaper than all other hotel downtown Toronto.

A long way to go before The Suites gives Howard Johnson’s any competition

This is a new hotel that needs a lot of work. Perhaps soon it will be competition for Howard Johnson's. Until that time, I wouldn't recommend staying there unless you want to be insulted.

I was impressed!

by TripAdvisor Member Divasmother

My daughter and I returned last night from a 2 day stay in Toronto. I happened on 1 King Suites by chance, looking at Tripadvisor and going down the list of hotels, without finding a room due to a large conference in the city. By some chance there was a room available at 1 King Suites for $129.00 per night. I snapped it up as other hotels that I made inquiries to had sold out, or, had 1 room left for over $800.00 a night. I had no idea where this hotel was, what to expect. What we found upon arrival was nothing less than Fabulous. Our room was a tad small for two woman...one being a 17 year old girl...need I say more. It would have been perfect for myself and my husband (as he doesn't pack as much). The hotel is brand new, just opening August 05. We had a King bed with down duvet, a desk area,(internet and unlimited long distance can be purchased in a package for $4.99 per day) a large armoire with closet, tv and dvd player (there are complimentary dvds at the front desk), in an extension of the room there is a good sized bar sink area with black granite countertop, mirrored back splash, a bar fridge, electric tea kettle, coffee maker, toaster, and microwave...under are cabinets with a hidden washer and dryer, and dishwasher. The bathroom was a bit small, with a walk in shower only, with those dreadful shower curtains that cling to you as you shower (my pet peeve). But all said, it was lovely, quiet and very clean. The service was excellent. The restaurant is the only thing that is not yet complete, but we did not mind. There are many restaurants in the area. With all that we experienced I am sure the restaurant will not disappoint once completed.
I would definitely return again.

Taxi cost from the airport to the suites at 1 king west hotel

by xerian4

Hi there, can anyone tell me the price that I can expect to pay for a taxi from Toronto airport to the Suites at 1 King West Hotel and also does anyone know anything about the afore mentioned hotel, are the rooms good, food, clean etc,etc...Thank you

by Canguy

Taxi from airport to downtown Toronto, which is where your hotel is, will cost about C$40 - C$50, depending on the traffic. I have not heard of the Suites at 1 King West Hotel, but I am assuming the address is in Toronto (There is also a King Street in Bramptom and a whole bunch of other surrounding small cities.)Having said that, I do know that there is a Condominium at 1 King Street West in Toronto. It is a first-class residential Condo building that lets out suites on a nightly basis as well. In view of its pretigious location, I will have to gather that everything would be top-notched.

by CdnJane

You would be likely better taking a airport limousine (they are just regular cars, not stretches) than a taxi because they go on a flat rate basis, and will be about the same price as was mentioned. Taxis go on meter basis. There is a transportation desk at the airport and they will tell you the exact price. (Based on a grid).

by YVRDave

I have heard GREAT things about the hotel. The hotel is brand new so if it dirty it is probably from recent construction.

by xerian4

Thats great information, thank you all for your reply.

by china_bound

1 King is a really nice hotel, actually I didn't even realize that it was a hotel, i was under the assumption that it was mostly condo's. Regardless, the cost of the fare will be completely contingent on what time of day that you head into town. If you come in during rush hour, it can get pretty pricy. I work right beside 1 King, so if you're in need of things to do while in town, drop me a line!

Great choice in locations!

by martin5678

Airport express coach can take you downtown to a stop near where you want to be, it cost me around $16

by xerian4

Thank you all again...i'm being flooded with great information here...so friendly

by s1l

I love that hote! It is amazing.. we live in the city but stay there sometimes on a weekend just to be right downtown and soak up the city. They even have vintage cars that guests can book for free if you need a lift somewhere. Enjoy!

Comments