The Suites At 1 King West

Kaspian's Profile Photo

The Suites at 1 King West

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 24, 2007

All the reviews I'd read about the Suites at 1st King West raved about "the spectacular view". Well, let me tell you--the view isn't so spectacular if they put you on a lower floor--the fifth floor, in my case. And the check-in girl, God! Things are always slow when you're in a rush, right? I'm supposed to meet some people at a pub in about half an hour. It was although she'd never seen a computer before. She kept having to go find somebody to help her. Check-in took over 20 minutes. That left me less than 10 to drop my bag off, rinse my face, and run to a pub 6 blocks away.
The room is smaller than what I'd seen in the advertised photos. Despite all the amazing appliances built into the cupboards--washer, dryer, dishwasher, microwave, it's really just a one room mini-bachelor. Is that really "a suite"?
In the bathroom there's a tub with no shower on one side of the room and on the other side of the room there's a standup shower. I find that kind of odd. Why couldn't they just go with the standard tub/shower design?
But the bed is amazing! The bed is a giant, fluffy, cushy white cloud that enwraps you when you lay down. A giant marshmallow, if you will.
Over the next two days I get more used to the hotel and the room. It's pretty nice. I think it's supposed to be incredibly fancy place, but it doesn't completely pull that off with all the scaffolding on the building's facade. An unmanned window-washer platform keeps going up and down in front of my window one morning. My companion and I find it disturbing at first, but later howl with laughter each time it passes.
The maids who cleaned our room did a great job each day. I tip my hat to them.
The hotel's in a great location--right across from a subway stop and within easy walking distance to everything important downtown. There's also a Starbucks directly across the street and a Tim Horton's down the road.
Verdict? Nice. But kind of "Twilight Zone" weird at the same time. Oh, but the bed! Designed by angels!

Unique Quality: This is a completely smoke-free hotel. A small pool and fitness centre.

Directions: Corner of King West and Yonge Street. (King subway stop.)

jamiesno's Profile Photo

Historic Value

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 4, 2007

During my original visit to One King West you get the feeling of a quality hotel yet for the price you also feel that you are getting a good value. The hotel is on a historic premises from the original Michie & Co. Grocers and Wine Merchants established in the mid 1800’s to the storied past of the Dominion Bank of Canada constructed in 1914.

Constructed in 1914 as the Head Office of The Dominion Bank of Canada, the building was one of the tallest in Toronto. The décor within harkens back to that time, with the spectacular 45-foot high ceiling and the great banking hall. There is a picture of me attached in the old vault.

I actually booked at this location because I had read another review from a past guest that recommended as a good place if you are planning to work out and I was planning to bring my sneakers this trip. I used the fitness area and was really impressed with this area. It was actually busier than most hotel fitness rooms.

I liked the treadmills because they had cable hooked up to them and I got to watch the hockey game that was on that night.

So overall I slept well at this hotel which can be rare, it was quiet there and right from this location you can go downstairs and right into the underground "PATH", Toronto's underground shopping center and do some shopping. This was convenient just before Christmas!

Unique Quality: A historic ambiance, a great location in my view on the corner of King and Yonge Streets. It was just a short walk from One King West to the Raptors game at the ACC.

The fact the hotel is a suite hotel I liked the extra amenities including the washer, dryer and so on.

Directions: Downtown

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Toronto Travel Forum

Need advice about Toronto, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Toronto and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Toronto hotel reviews