Travelodge Mississauga

YorkvilleYorkville

Family fun in Niagara Falls townFamily fun in Niagara Falls town

3 days in Toronto + 1 week in countryside accommodation

by ision

Hi there. I will be traveling from United Kingdom to Canada with a traveling fellowship bursary. About 1o days of this trip will be spent in Ontario, and I've never been to Canada before. I need to stay close to Toronto downtown for the first few days as I will be undertaking some research at a lab in the city; then my plan is to find a slightly secluded place in the country to focus on some of my work for about a week. Somewhere nice and peaceful in the nature, but still with internet connection so I can do my work after a nice long walk every day.

My budget is limited due to my bursary being calculated tightly in advance, but I am not looking for any luxuries. Clean bed, shower and breakfast, wifi connection as well as privacy is what I am after. This could be a single-occupancy room in a guest house, house-sitting for someone, or renting an affordable self-contained studio etc.

Also could you tell me what sort of price (nightly or weekly) would be realistic for accomodation, and what form of public tranport would be most affordable and practical, as I have no idea about life standards over there, apart from what Google tells me.

I would welcome all advice. Many thanks for your time...

by Agraichen

I've not been to Toronto in over 2 years, but the prior 8 I tended to be there at least twice a year for business. I found the taxi's from the airport a bit on the high side, like most, but there is a very inexpensive bus that will take you to the Metro where you transfer on the same ticket and use the Metro to get down town. The Toronto visitors bureau has a good site which helps with travel plans.

Staying "down town" and close to the Metro will allow easy movement in the main areas of the city. That and a bit of walking covers much of the city without issues. Metro "tickets" (coins when I was last there) used to be purchased in bulk for a slight discount. If I recall correctly I would purchase 10 coins and only pay for 8-9.

There is a Marriott on Younge Street near the Metro that I used often as it was less than our "company housing" accomodations. It was a bit further to travel, but I saved much more.

there's much more that others will probably suggest as well.

by ision

Thank you very much. Taking note of your recommendations. Very useful indeed. Have a nice weekend...

by Agraichen

Even when frequenting the city I would use http://www.toronto.com/guide/visitors to check on what's new, and to get additional travel information.

by ision

brilliant. And everything seems up to date there. Thanks so much :-)

by ision

oh, I thought I did. Thanks for reminding.
I will be arriving Toronto on 18th of August (this year) and I plan to stay 10 days, or until the end of the month depending on the costs.

by July2

I believe universities rent out rooms in the summer before the students return in September.

For somewhere out of Toronto, Guelph comes to mind. It is a pleasant university town with plenty of opportunity for quiet walks and is not far from lovely areas such as Elora Gorge. Guelph obviously has transportation, as do most small towns, although it may be less frequent on weekends and probably will not connect you to very rural areas.

I hope the following helps.

It seems, though, their cut-off date for rental is mid-August but it might be worth an enquiry.

It might be an idea to study the GO Transit map (in conjunction with TTC routes - Toronto Transit Commission) for communities with frequent routes connecting to Toronto although I'm not sure you'll find seclusion.

For travel outside of Toronto, Grey Coach is also an option.

by ision

Dear Sojourner46 & July2. Thank you ever so much for your replies. So useful. I will check out your suggestion July2, sounds really exciting.

Travel Tips for Toronto

Things to do

by harrietholiday

Toronto has something to offer for everyone, it all depends where your interests are.
Online check out www.martiniboys.com the latest tips about restaurants (new openings), clubs, concerts, parties etc (also for Montreal, Vancouver, and Calgary) much better than your typical hotel booklet.
Now Magazine, free available at most street corners or coffee shops, has a very extensive list of music venues, art showings, must be a little openminded re some articles. etc...online www.nowtoronto.com Eye weekly also free both magazines are a little alternative, but really good info what is happening in the city. www.eye.net.
www.toronto.com a little more more mainstream but includes agenda's and events for children also. If you are coming in the summer be sure to to see what is happening at Harbour front www.harbourfrontcentre.com free concerts, or when not free walk around and you can still enjoy what is going on, outdoor movies, cultural events, it is a bit touristy but a must visit in the summer day and night.

Toronto Tip

by pollon

I had already been abroad but never overseas before this trip and you are going to read about the thrill but also all the inexperience of it... my very first memory is to have spot a squirrel in the middle of the street as soon as I got out of the bus when I arrived in Toronto... at first I couldn't belive my eyes but then I saw another one from the window of the hotel room and much more the day after in the park nearby... definitely they were squirrels and in spite I was said they are busybodies like our pigeons in Italy I found them lovely...

FANTASTIC VIEWS OF THE CITY

by LoriPori

From the Ferry and Toronto Islands, there are FANTASTIC VIEWS OF THE CITY. You can clearly see the CN Tower and the Toronto Skyline and as it was a beautiful, sunny autumn day with clear blue skies, it made the pics even nicer.

CANADA'S WONDERLAND Well, I...

by chrissyalex

CANADA'S WONDERLAND Well, I haven't been there since I was 13, so I am sure much of my info is outdated, but I remember it being a very fun place as a child!
There were several rollercoasters( the wooden one REALLY shook you and while I was riding it once,a person lost their glasses on it!) There was also a huge manmade mountain with a waterfall and you could walk up the mountain and walk behind the falls. Since I haven't been there in years, I am sure things are MUCH different now!

All EnglishLanguage...with a Canadian twist

by kd_baby

If you're from the US, esp. the southern US, you'll do a double take the first you hear "south", "house", "doubt" and a host of other sayings.

Also, they don't have "restrooms", they have "washrooms".

And finally, yes they do say "Eh?" as the end of a lot of their sentences. If you're an American and want to practice, just substitute "Eh" at the end of your sentences where you would normally say "Right" or "Huh" or "Yeah/Yes/Yep".

Other than that it's all English :-)

Comments