St. Clair College Residence & Conference Centre

The ChapelThe Chapel

View of new Hotel ComplexView of new Hotel Complex

Ticket purchases

by ashwhisper

I was wondering if I need to purchase tickets ahead of time? What is the price for the cruise with dinner? I am wanting to send my parents on their anniversary. Is there any special promotions you could tell me about? Also if I am to buy tickets where do I buy them? Thank you very much in advance for any help you can offer me.
Amanda Britton

by TheWanderingCamel

It would help if we knew which company's dinner cruise you're thinking about. Either that or contact the company direct.

by ashwhisper

Thank you for such quick response. Sorry I'm new to WIndsor sort of and I don't know what to choose. Is there more than 1 cruise to choose from? I guess I need more help than I thought. So anyone giving me any advice/tips I will greatly appreciate.

by TheWanderingCamel

A bit of detective work makes me think you may have found a tip here on VT (http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Canada/Province_of_Ontario/Windsor-902720/Things_To_Do-Windsor-Detroit_River_boat_cruises-BR-1.html). This is a tip written by one of the VT members about Royal Windsor Cruises, a company operating on the Detroit River. It is not a direct advertisement for the company or its cruises. More scouting around has found an apparently defunct website for the company. I would suggest you try phoning them direct on 519 971-8843 or email them at info@senatorofwindsor.com.

by hawkhead

And here was I wondering what and how one did a cruise in Windsor, as in where the castle is in the UK!!

by TheWanderingCamel

I went down that track too to start with. You can take river cruises on the Thames from Windsor, but then noticed that 'Windsor, Canada" was showing on the tab for the page so googled "dinner cruise Windsor Canada" and top of the list was a tip from LoriPori.

Another example of why country as well as town/city name would be useful on the forums postings. Not that the data base is always logical to start with - one example - type in Damascus and it comes up with a whole sheet of different Damascuses , 28 of them, and it's not until you get to No 17 that you hit Damascus, Syria. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really would have thought that Damascus is higher up a traveller's wishlist than Damascus, Maine or Damascus, Mississippi.

by hawkhead

Absolutely, Wandering Camel! It would be really helpful if the designation of the post could show the country or state or province or department or shire or.....

Travel Tips for Windsor

SET UP CAMP, POP OPEN A BEER... AND TURN ON THE TV

by africateach

The serenity was outstanding!!! Very quiet in Windsor, Canada! Just across from Detroit is a little area where you can go to get away for awhile and just relax!
I had a great time with my friends this last summer here when we went. There are multiple places to camp and the fishing is great!!! I caught a fish THIS BIG!!!
Just try to keep the noise down after 10pm please or the ranger will come and talk with you!

Ontario Travel Information Center

by Stephen-KarenConn

We once heard a man from Windsor refer to his city as "The armpit of Canada." Perhaps he was jesting. All we can say is that if it is so, Canada sure has a lovely armpit.

We've spent a total of 5 days now in Windsor and Essex County, loved every minute of them, and still have much more there we would like to see. That's why we recommend you begin your visit with a stop at the Ontario Travel Information Center. It's located at the corner of Goyeau and Park Streets in downtown Windsor, a short four blocks south of Riverside Drive. Here you will find loads of information on the many things to see and do in the area, as well as clean public restrooms and a Currency Exchange. No doubt our fondest memory of Windsor is the wonderful people we met there, including local VTers "Waalewiener" and "Windsorgirl."

A Welcome Centre on Windsor's riverfront .

by Waalewiener

It says welcome to Windsor ,a big sign on the building.This building has an concession stand , and you can go up the stairs and you can have a better view of the river and Detroit Skyline ,and this building also has public washrooms .It is located .in the Centre of the riverfront and it has a good size Pay Parking lot,it is located in Dieppe Park ,a Park dedicated to the fallen soldiers in WW 2 in the battle of Dieppe in Normandy France.

Hiram Walker's Walking Stick?

by janetanne

Hiram Walker (1816 - 1899)
"The young men of the present do not know the value of money. I hardly had time, as a young man, to go fishing, for I was always working. My habit, in my younger days of saving the pennies, has placed me where I am today." - Hiram Walker on his 74th birthday.

One of the more fascinating bits of 'trivia' we learned while on the tour through the Hiram Walker Office Building in Windsor, Canada, was the story of his fascinating 'big stick!'

Our young tour guide asked us if we could guess what this stick was and truthfully, we were stumped by the stick's original purpose! What in the world could it have been used for? Did Hiram Walker, 'speak softly and carry a big stick???' Or did he use it to measure the depth of the wiskey in the barrels??? These guesses were all 'off the mark!'

In fact, Hiram Walker was indeed a shrewd and cagey businessman for his times. How else would he have been able to save $40,000 dollars in such a short number of years before he opened his own distillery?

This long, slotted stick was actually used to 'test' the grains that were brought into the distillery from surrounding farmers for use in making the famous whiskey. It seems that the farmers often tried to pass off 'spoiled grains' hidden at the bottom of their loads! Here is a good example of 'necessity being the mother of invention!' As this stick, with its little cut-out pockets was pushed down into the load of grain and then pulled out, some of the grains were caught in the empty spaces. These were then carefully inspected to see that the quality of the grains were as 'good at the bottom as on the top!' There was 'no pulling the wool over the lids'of Hiram Walker!

WILDWOOD GOLF & RV RESORT

by LoriPori

Rates for 2009 -- Source -- Golf 2009 - The Windsor Star.
Weekday Rates:
Reservations: One week prior
Specials: Weekday Senior rate (before 2 p.m.) $14.00 / $23.00

Footwear: Soft Spikes
Power Carts:$14.00 for 9 holes / $24.00 for 18 holes Facilities:
Wildwood has 325 RV sites surrounded by an 18-hole public golf course. Daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal sites available.
Licences restaurant on premises.
Party facilities