447 St.-Francois Xavier, Montreal, Quebec, H2Y 2T1, Canada

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• wernermark's Profile Photo

Excellent choice in Old Montreal

Old Montreal has many fine 'boutique' hotels, so I cannot with experience say which I find best, but the Auberge Bonaparte is definitely fine hotel. It is well located, has an absolutely superb restaurant, excellent almost-gourmet breakfast included in the price, and friendly and helpful (but not numerous) staff. We’ve only stayed once, but the room we had (as well as others we peeked into) are much larger than what you would expect in such an old building in an old district. Our room was spacious and airy. For those who like to soak in the tub, the Bonaparte has comfortably large tubs to relax in. The Bonaparte is located on a relatively quiet street, so it is less noisy at night than some other hotels. But there are 2 night clubs about a block and a half down the street on the corner, so some noise will happen, but hey, this is Montreal. On the other hand, it is within easy walking distance to anything in Old Montreal, and about a 10-15 minute walk to the Ste Catherines shopping district. I'm not one for gushing forth with superlatives, so please do not be put off by the lack of them here. The Bonaparte is a fine hotel, and an excellent choice in old Montreal.

Unique Quality: One of the best restauarants in Montreal, excellent location, vintage character building.

Directions: towards the northwest corner of Old Montreal

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

next to the cathedral....

Situated around the corner from Notre-Dame. A comfortable auberge - some rooms have views of the cathedral and garden. Breakfast is a made to order affair and included with the room. There is also a top-notch restaurant located in the hotel.

More about Auberge Bonaparte

More raves for Montreal's Bonaparte

by TripAdvisor Member FresnoDon

Let us add our praise for the Auberge Bonaparte in Old Town Montreal. My wife and I were there three nights at the end of May, 2006. We concluded that the one thing we liked best about Montreal was the hotel we were staying in! The stylish room on the second floor had a view of a little park.The C$185 rate included a full sit-down breakfast. Besides breakfasts, we had one lunch and two dinners in the Bonaparte's superb French restaurant. We chose the Bonaparte because of the unfailingly good reviews it got in TripAdvisor. We were not misled.

Beautiful Hospitable Inn

by TripAdvisor Member erpollock

What a lovely vacation at Auberge Bonaparte! I stayed from June 26 to July 3, 2005. The rooms are inviting, the staff is quite accommodating, and the (included) breakfasts - superb! The bathroom was particularly nice. Try to get a garden view. The room was spotless, everyone I dealt with had a helpful, Montreal attitude, which means nice!

Wonderful Experience

We stayed at the Auberge Bonaparte for a 3-day weekend and were extremely pleased. Immaculate room with hardwood floors, marble bathroom, and nice furnishings. We were on the 3rd of 5 floors -- not much street noise. The breakfasts (included in price) were unbelievable -- e.g. eggs/omelet/pancakes/french toast with fruit cup, coffee, fresh orange juice, toast and great croissants. Fast, state-of-the-art, brand new (like most things in this recently refurbished hotel) elevator. We ate dinner one night in the hotel's own French Restaurant -- don't get me wrong: I don't usually eat where I sleep but this was an exception. Fabulous meal and frequented by many locals. This hotel is in the old city with many other wonderful restaurants within close walking distance. Superb service all the way around. Only one very minor complaint: the room had no couch or easy chairs. They should either add some or add more pillows to the bed. We'll be returning to this place often.

Great ambiance, service, location.

by TripAdvisor Member ms_go

We recently spent three nights at Auberge Bonaparte over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and very much enjoyed our stay.

This smallish, boutique-style inn is conveniently located in the heart of Vieux Montreal, about a block from the rue St. Paul and just around the corner and a block south of the Basilique Notre-Dame, whose towers were visible from our room’s window.

Our triple room was spacious, spotless and well-appointed, with one queen-sized and one double bed (decent, but perhaps not the most comfortable beds we’ve had in our travels), a high ceiling, floor-to-ceiling windows, some exposed brick, wood floors, and a large marble bathroom with jacuzzi and separate shower. Decor in the room and throughout the hotel was simple, fresh and tasteful. Our room, on the back side of the hotel, was very quiet. Service was very friendly and always helpful.

Breakfast at the hotel each morning was a treat. It was all table-service, not buffet, and the choices included a variety of omlettes, french toast, crepes, breakfast sandwich, or an eggs/bacon/sausage/hash browns combo. All were delicious, and served with fruit salad or yogurt, plus fresh-squeezed orange juice, robust coffee, and a basket of fresh breads that included excellent, buttery croissants. A great way to fortify yourself for the day!

We also had dinner one evening in the hotel's restaurant, Bonaparte, which didn't disappoint. The atmosphere was lovely and unpretentious, and the service was very good as well.

This was our first visit to Montreal, and it won't be our last. Although the weather could have been better, we thoroughly enjoyed walking around the old town and other areas of the city. A few other highlights included the Pointe-a-Calliere archeological museum and the Parc du Mont Royal - a short cab ride up from the hotel with a lovely walk back down.

The Best

I have eaten at the restaurant many times on past trips, the best food youell ever eat! The restaurant has been open for 23 years that says alot. My family of 4 stayed in the largest suite w/ a balcony overlooking Notre Dame. Spotless room and wonderful staff, they even made us box lunches for the train trip home. One of the friendliest hotels Ihave ever stayed at. Its perfectly placed in the heart of Old Montreal. The only place Ill ever stay at on my next trip!

Lovely and fun!

I had a great time at this hotel. Our room was immaculate and the wood floors and beautiful large windows add much to the decor. We enjoyed the breakfasts each morning (comes with the price of the room). We found the staff to be gracious and accommodating. Our last night in Montreal we ate at the hotel restaurant and the food was very delicious but the dining room was a bit noisy (we happened to be seated near a table of 10 which accounted in part for the noise). I enjoyed the giant jacuzzi type bathtub after tromping around seeing the sites and shopping. My only complaint would be the smoky lobby and the rooftop terrace which made us laugh hard because it was hard to imagine anyone having an "event" there. Maybe it's in the process of becoming a terrace. I would go back to this hotel in a minute though.

Montreal

by SFHulaGIrl

"Montreal"

I'd been wanting to travel to Montreal for years, but had never gotten around to it. In September, 2004, I finally made it.

Prior to my trip, I'd posted on VT's forum to see whether anyone wanted to meet for drinks. Thus, I ended up meeting with Rene (rwaksberg), Nicky (nickyte), & Pierre (Pierre_Rouss) and Louise at the Jello Bar. We had a few drinks there before moving on to St. Sulpice. Everyone was incredibly nice and friendly, which is quite indicative of Montrealers, based on my experience and observations while there. Also, of special note, is the fact that there are an inordinate amount of attractive people in Montreal!

As for the city itself, the parks were glorious, particularly since the leaves were just beginning to change color. In a moment of pure melancholy, I plucked a maple leaf in Parc Lafontaine and pressed it in my book. Shhh! Don't tell anyone, though, as I'd be embarrassed!

The farmers markets (Jean Talon and Atwater) were a marvel, especially when compared to the ones in San Francisco. The selection was enormous and the prices were inexpensive.

"Review of Bonaparte Restaurant"

Bonaparte Restaurant
447 rue Saint-Francois-Xavier
Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2T1
Telephone: (514) 844-4368

Bonaparte Restaurant is a part of Auberge Bonaparte in Vieux Montreal.

Since my reservation was for 8:00 p.m., I left my hotel at 7:30 p.m. and arrived at a leisurely 7:55 p.m. The restaurant appeared filled to capacity, so it took a moment before the host was able to help me.

INTERIOR

The décor of Bonaparte Restaurant reflects the Empire style which prevailed throughout Napoleon's era. The room I was in contained wainscotting on the walls (with what appeared to be red embossed leather on the lower portion), rust-colored scrolls painted near the top of the ceiling, a deep red floral carpet and trees in the center of the room. Tables were draped in white tableclothes and adorned with miniature candle lamps. Sconces with candles also decorated the walls. The warm and cozy atmosphere was accentuated by the romantic lighting.

My seat faced a window overlooking the cobblestone streets and street lamps of Vieux Montreal. The planters hanging from the awning created a picture postcard view, especially as caleches meandered down the street.

MENU/COURSES

After eyeing the menu, I was most interested in the menu degustation. The menu degustation was a steal at $57CAD (i.e. approximately $42US); it offered 6 courses, plus either coffee or tea. When the waiter asked what I would like to drink, I inquired about white wines by the glass. He simply told me that they offered a French sauvignon blanc, an Italian sauvignon blanc or an American chardonnay. I chose the French sauvignon blanc, which was redolent with honeysuckle.

My meal began with a mixed green salad including pine nuts and parmesan cheese. The greens were butterleaf lettuce, endive, and frisee, dressed in a champagne vinaigrette. The salad was nice and light, not overly dressed and with the pleasing crunch of the pine nuts. This was followed by their house-smoked salmon served with condiments (capers, Dijon mustard, and onions); a successful blending. For my third course, I wavered between the shrimp and scallops scented with vanilla, or the mushroom ravioli perfumed with fresh sage. After consulting with my waiter, I chose the mushroom ravioli. He found the shrimp and scallops good, but the mushroom ravioli "special." The raviolis were ethereal and feathery, delicately seasoned with sage – definitely not overpowering as sage can often be. My next course was a bubbly lemon sherbet, ostensibly to cleanse the palate. A veal fillet served with morel mushrooms and fresh cream was my main course. There was nothing unusual or outstanding about it; the dish was good, but not particularly memorable. I ended with their "symphony" of desserts. A symphony it certainly was, as each dessert certainly struck a chord with me. These consisted of a crème brulee, a chocolate and hazelnut cake known as a Palais Royal, a mango Bavarian and a maple syrup cheesecake (lest we forget we're in Montreal!).

SERVICE

Service was adept without being mechanical. My waiter was affable and offered suggestions. Other than commenting on the size of my black pearl pendant and asking whether I'd been to Tahiti, he wasn't annoyingly familiar or chatty.

There was a lengthy wait between courses, which didn't particularly bother me. I was relaxing and enjoying my meal. Please note, however, that my total time at the restaurant (from the moment I was seated until I paid the check) was about 2 hours and 45 minutes. As I prepared to exit the restaurant, the host asked if I'd enjoyed my meal, which I definitely had.

Comments