Chateau de l'Argoat Montreal

524 Rue Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Quebec, H2L 1K1, Canada

• tuoedisni1's Profile Photo

Cleanest Hotel I've ever stayed at

I stayed here in late Feb of 2006. Not only was the location excellent (near St. Denis), but it was the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed at. And this was the off-season!
    The room was small, but nicely decorated and worth every penny. Especially since they offer free parking.

Unique Quality: Good location - 5 minute walk to St. Denis, Sherbrooke metro station.
    Free parking
    Breakfast included
    The owner is very nice and accomodating.
    Super clean

Directions: a 5 min. walk to the shops on St. Denis

More about Chateau de l'Argoat Montreal

Clean room, easy on your pocket

If you are looking for a fancy room with above average atmosphere that can WOW most people and are planning to stay in your room a lot (10-12+ hours) per day, try other more expensive hotel.

Stay here for 4 nights during the week of Sept 6. If you are looking for a clean room to sleep and shower that is easy on your pocket, ok atmosphere, this will meet your needs. Hotel has very good location, a block walk from Sherbrooke Metro Station. Very short walk south to the Latin Quarter and north to St Denis restaurants and shops. Hotel also has free local calls, A/C, cable TV, free continental breakfast, and very slow but free Internet access in the hotel's sitting room.

BTW: The Airport Shuttle folks told me wrong information. After you get off the airport shuttle in downtown, the minibus, offered as part of the airport shuttle service, will NOT transport you to this hotel. Minibus driver told me it was outside of his boundary. Stay on the airport shuttle that makes the final stop at the Montreal Bus Central Station (2 long blocks from the hotel - 1 of the block is uphill). You can walk or take a cab to the hotel.

Look elsewhere

Encouraged by the great reviews posted here I was eager to stay at L'Argoat. Well, I was disappointed when I arrived. The hotel common areas are a lot pokier and rundown than I would've anticipated.

As for service, if you're fluent in French you'll be fine here. If you are anything less than fluent? Well, you will be very disappointed by the treatment. My French is fine, but the fact that I was anglo really got under people's skins. I was quite amazed, as a native Montrealer, to find this kind of stuff still going on! Especially in a hotel. I HATE to think of how these people will treat Americans! Snooty is not the word - they were downright rude and unfriendly.

On the plus side, the decor of my room was magnificent. A real knockout of a room. The layout of the bathroom however was quite stupid. Sure, it had a jacuzzi tub but it was so lacking in sinkspace that actitivites like shaving became a chore.

My biggest complaint however is that my non-smoking room absolutely reeked of smoke. It obviously doubles as smoking/nonsmoking as need arises. I was quite turned off the STENCH of smoke in the room.

As a last complaint, the parking situation is not great. There are spots in the back but you have to leave your keys with the front desk. And it's not easy to get them back again.

With so many great options in Montreal I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

No problems at the Chateau

by TripAdvisor Member novatrvlr

I had been impressed by the reviews of this hotel as I was planning a long weekend in Montreal after Thanksgiving. Fortunately, I was not disappointed.

The hotel is in a great location, just a few blocks away from the trendy streets of St. Denis and St. Laurent, which have an incredible amount of dining, shopping, and nightlife options.

The room itself felt more like home than a chain hotel. It was cozy, comfortable, clean and more than adequate for our needs. As others have noted, the bathroom was small, but we chose a cheaper room (2 double beds) without a whirlpool bath, which was very affordable.

Finally, I was very happy with the service I received at the Chateau. In contrast to the previous user, we had NO PROBLEM with speaking English at the hotel or anywhere else. I am surprised by this comment as we found the hotel staff--and the city as a whole--to be friendly. I can only speak some basic French but really didn't need it regardless of where we went. However, I always tried to begin conversations in French out of courtesy, but most people automatically switched to English without hesitation when they realized we were English-speaking.

Two other service notes---I didn't specify non-smoking when I booked the room and was placed in a smoking room. However, the staff was easily able to make the swtich for us upon request.

I'm not sure how many people leave things in hotels, but I left a jacket in the closet and realized it only after I had left. I called and I was thrilled to hear that they had found it. I am happy to say that the directrice, Anne, mailed it to me at the hotel's expense. That's where the personal service of a smaller hotel paid off.

Disappointing!

From looking at various websites, I was under the impression that this was a three-star hotel. Unfortunately this place is much more of a bed-and-breakfast, and not a very good one at that! The common areas are run-down and there is no elevator. I had a non-smoking room but it reeked of smoke!! The whirlpool was old and disgusting looking, there was no hot water coming from the shower (even when there was hot water available from the whirlpool's tap). The towels were old, thin and small and the breakfast was a joke. A sheet of paper in each room explains that it's the hotel's policy not to offer the usual extras (room service, hair dryers, etc) in order to keep prices low. However, prices are not that low - they fall within the norm of what similar establishments offer. The staff was relatively friendly and there were plenty of tourist materials at the front desk. However, don't be fooled by their snazzy website - the best thing about this place is the free parking!

The real Montreal experience

In response to the person who wonders what uni-lingual Americans fare at the "Argoat" I have been coming here for some time, and I can say they fare just fine. The staff is friendly and will do anything to make your stay more pleasant. It's over on the Francophone side of Rue St-Laurent so whether you're in the hallway or outside the place you immediately know you're in Montreal, not Dallas or Cleveland.

I don't know why someone is carping about the parking arrangements; I park my car there in the back lot and take the subway everywhere. That way I don't get one of the city's famous parking tickets. The staff there warn you about possibility of theft, but the manager's window overlooks the lot, I've never had a speck of trouble. It's certainly worth the C$18 a day that one would spend for parking at the chain-luxury hotels.

It's certainly a popular place. It's not surprising it is booked during jazz festival in July, but I went there last *January* with a bitter cold wind, and it was full up, with a number of U.S. plates in the lot.

A welcome in Montreal

I'd just like to recommend Hotel Chateau de l'Argoat to anybody looking to stay in Montreal.
It is a small, very well run family hotel. We found all of the staff very friendly and helpful, and the place itself had a welcoming feel to it.
The room we had was a very pleasant large one at the front, there was a little road noise, but not enough to be a problem. We were told that the bathroom would be small in this particular room, and it was, but it was quite adequate, and as so many people have pointed out, extremely clean. I believe most of the other rooms have decent sized bathrooms.
Breakfast was excellent, with the opportunity to have as much as you could eat and drink, all you had to do was ask for more.
A major asset to staying at this hotel for us, was the free parking at the rear. Plus, to get to the Metro you just cross the road, walk up the side of the Hotel Plaza, go through a small door which looked like a side door to the hotel, and you are in a passage that takes you to the station.
If we ever go back to Montreal, we shall certainly book the Hotel Chateau de l'Argoat.

Charming Old Fashioned Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member calivoodoo

Chateau de l'Argoat was a wonderful hotel in a great location. I was there with another single girlfriend and we had a great time. The hotel is conveniently next to the Latin Quarter, St. Denis and St. Laurent streets, which are all full of great shopping, restaurants, and night life. Also, being next to the metro makes it very easy to get anywhere in the city.

The hotel itself is quaint, charming and old fashioned. We had a top floor room with high ceilings facing the street. While we did get a bit of street noise, it was not enough to be a bother. The temperature in the rooms was great, and we did not have the overwhelmingly loud air conditioning that is common in most U.S. hotel rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful with everything we needed, from making us reservations, to supplying amenities. There was free 24-hour Internet access and breakfast, which was served until 12:00 noon!

It is not a 4-star hotel, but for the money you can't get a better value. I will definitely stay there the next time I go back to Montreal!

Joie de vivre a Montreal

by TripAdvisor Member DisneyParis

My friend and I stayed at the Chateau over Labor Day weekend. It was my third time, but the first in 25 years. I had stayed there as a poor college student in the least expensive room in 1979 and 1980 when it was called the Argoat Tourist Lodge(before the Quebec government required French names). This time we stayed in Chambre 7, the grand suite. We had two large rooms separated by a 15 foot hallway. This meant that we didn't disturb each other if we snored or turned on the tv in the middle of the night. There was a tv in each room. Along the hallway were two rooms: one with a toilet and a sink and another with a sink, shower, and 2-3 person jacuzzi. There was plenty of hot water for each usage of the hot tub. Everything was absolutely spotless. We stayed three nights and found the room cleaned with ample towels, soap, shampoo, etc. each afternoon upon our return. The hotel had a large refrigerator for everyone's use. Even though, the sign said to label items, I put a few bottles of beer in there and found them all there when I returned to retrieve the cold beers. A corkscrew and wine glasses were provided free of charge for our usage. The breakfast was absolutely fabulous. Croissants like in Paris, Pains au chocalat, and more. Canadians drink coffee like Americans, and the coffee was great and always available. Orange juice and my special requests for a carafe d'eau avec des glacons (carafe of ice water) each morning was always granted. Common areas of hotel were maintained as in a 5 star hotel. The staff was fantastic. All of the guests appeared to be having a wonderful visit when I saw some during breakfast and passed by others in the hall, and I never heard any loud noise more than a few car horns and fire trucks out on the street. No noise in the hotel at any time more than happy conversations. I am sorry that I had only returned to Montreal once in the past 25 years. I stayed in a different area of town that time in 1995 but will return to the Chateau sometimes in the next 2 or 3 years. Location is perfect and near many things but away from the crowds. Rue Sherbrooke is a very safe, bustling street with many condos and apartments. The Metro is across the street and a 3 minute walk. Easy walk or metro ride to McGill University, the shopping areas, Vieux Montreal, Gay Montreal, the casinos, Mount Royal (Mont Real in French from where the city's name came), the Montreal Canadiens arena, great restaurants, etc. Montreal est formidable!
Le Chateau de l'Argoat is full of the joie de vivre that Quebec is known for.
Bon voyage a tous! Please visit the Chateau and enjoy Montreal.

Cool French-Vibed Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ExtraPickles

This is our third time in Montreal. The first two times, we stayed in chain hotels near St. Catherine street. We prefer the Plateau area and thus this time decided to stay at a place more in the heart of things.

What a great pick. This reasonably priced hotel provides free parking, WiFi, and waitress-served continental breakfast w/bagels from the famous Fairmount bagel shop. The Metro stop is less than two small blocks away, but most cool things in the Plateau and Latin Quarter are within easy walking distance.

Our nonsmoking room was in the back of the hotel (nice 'n' quiet) and had a large bathroom and 2 TVs. Unlike previous complaints seen on this site, our room had a hairdryer and had no odor of smoke. (I did speak to a woman who had a NS room and did smell cig smoke through her vent, however.)

The breakfast room and common living room are decorated in a French-cafe style, with posters of recent Quebecois movie and music releases adorning the walls. This place seems very dog-friendly. We saw three, including a seeing eye dog, during our stay. We'll be sure to come back to the Chateau!

Comments