Du Fort Hotel

1390 rue du Fort, Montreal, Quebec, H3H 2R7, Canada

• Montreal Downtown Hotel

We were in Montreal 3 nights in September 2006. The rooms were roomy and very comfortable with great view of downtown. Staff was helpfull and spoke English. Location was excelent, couple of blocks to subway station, on corner of St Catherine. Crescent St is less than 10 min walk from hotel. Many other restaurants nearby as well as several grocery stores. We will be staying with Hotel Du Fort whenever we come back to Montreal.

• Nice Place

At first we were a bit suprised at the neighborhood, as we are suburbanites and this is a downtown area, so we are used to more green space and a regular parking lot. They have a garage to park in, but that will cost you each day. We had a rental car as we were going on to Quebec City. Did not use the car at all in Montreal. We took the Metro to places we wanted to see. Easy enough. Our room at the hotel was a corner room, so we had three big windows. The rooms all seemed very nice and the staff is very helpful, very knowledgable and speak very good English! It was a bit of a walk to the more touristy areas, but there are several places to eat all up and down St.Catherine's Street. Montreal is OK, but if you really want some fabulous history and an old city, go in the old city of Quebec. Montreal's old town is not nearly as big.

• appaloosy's Profile Photo

UPDATE: CLOSED AS OF NOV 2013 (see review)

UPDATED NOV 2013: This hotel is now closed and scheduled to be converted into a residential condo building: http://www.hoteldufort.com/

link: http://www.montrealgazette.com/

Don't let the austere and rather bland facade fool you; this is a quiet, understated hotel located right downtown.

This hotel was converted from an office building into an excellent hotel that offers attractive rooms which are exceptionally clean, comfortable, and some with great views of the city. I really like this hotel not only for its ambience, but for its great down town location. Not only are you just a few blocks away from the metro (subway), but you are also within walking distance to several restaurants that offer a variety of cuisine from Thai, to Italian, to Indian, Schezwan, Mexican, French.. and so much more.

Most rooms are equipped with a small kitchenette (mini-fridge and microwave), and although breakfast is included in the guest lounge, there is a very excellent grocery store (Provigo) located just around the corner which is open until 2:00AM. On the opposite corner is a major post office (so convenient for mailing those postcards and gifts to the folks back home!).

There is no pool or excercise facilities in this hotel (it was an office building, after all), but they do have excellent conference facilities and a breakfast lounge area.

Unique Quality: The views of the Montreal skyline at night, and the mighty Saint Lawrence river in the background are well worth the rates alone.

Speaking of rates, they are fairly reasonable (and breakfast included!) compared to the other downtown hotels in the area.

Photos taken on a day that was windy and blowing snow. The upper half shows the outside of the hotel, and the picture lower left shows the interior lobby. All photos ©appaloosa, except the photo lower right (hotel brochure photo of one of their superior rooms).

Directions: Downtown Montreal. Great location!

• SNEAKS's Profile Photo

Great Value

Hotel du Fort is located in a residential neighborhood in the west end of downtown known as Shaughnessy Village. You'll be close to shopping (1 block) and the metro (3 blocks). It's a modern sleek hotel with excellent service and a multilingual staff.

Unique Quality: Ask for a room on a high floor, the views of the city and Mount Royal are wonderful. I stayed in a standard room which was above average in size. All rooms include continental breakfast served in the Loius XV Lounge. They also have a bar and exercise room.

Directions: Shaughnessy Village

More about Du Fort Hotel

Hotel Du Fort---GREAT PLACE TO STAY :)

by TripAdvisor Member Hasbrout

Just got back from staying at the Hotel Du Fort. WE HAD THE BEST TIME. The hotel was clean--hotel staff very nice. We are going to make this a yearly trip now. The location couldn't be better. It is located in the middle of 3 metros--all within a few blocks. You can be in Old Montreal via metro in @10 minutes at the most. We used the metros every day....traveled everywhere in Montreal...saw everything...and had a great time. Eat late --this is the city that never sleeps...seriously! If you love beer and food....Montreal is the place to go. Also, visit the Cock N Bull Pub--local bands play on Thursday and Friday nights--located on St. Catherine. Best place to eat is Cine Express --about 1/2 block on St. Catherine. Grocery store has everything you will need for breakfast, etc.... However Cine Express is very cheap....huge portions and great food...serves breakfast--stays open until @2:00 am.
Can't wait to go back. Have fun--we did :)

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member catelpa

I originally stayed at the Hotel Du Fort in Montreal about 10 years ago, yet my recollection of the quality of the hotel was vague. For whatever reason, I decided to stay there on our most recent trip to Montreal, just to try something new ... and I was blown away with the curteous staff, the quality of the room, the overall cleanliness of the lobby and our room and, most of all, the value for our money ( ie. $135 per night in the heart of downtown Montreal). The location is ideal ... park your car and leave it ... everything is accessible either by foot, inexpensive taxi, or subway ...

Every aspect of our stay at Hotel Du Fort was positive ... I've now switched allegiances from my former "regular" hotel accommodations in Montreal.

Won't go back

by TripAdvisor Member ktowntravllr

When we arrived, we were told that our room wasn't available, as the previous people had not vacated it. When we explained we had a reservation that we had made several months previously (it was our honeymoon), we were told there was nothing that they could do. We stood and argued for approximately 30 minutes, and finally were given a room. Horrible experience. The room was nice enough, but I wouldn't risk getting told they wouldn't honour our reservation again. We won't go back.

Great location!

by TripAdvisor Member appaloosa

Don't let the austere and rather bland facade fool you; this is an understated but elegant hotel located right downtown.

You would never guess this hotel used to be an office building - there is much warmth and charm offered in the cozy, attractive and exceptionallty clean rooms that offer great views of the city

My husband and I stayed here recently, and I really loved this hotel not only for its ambience, but for its GREAT DOWNTOWN LOCATION. Not only are you just a few blocks away from the metro (subway), but you are also within walking distance to several excellent restaurants that offer a variety of cuisine from Thai, to Italian, to Indian, Schezwan, Mexican, French.. and so much more.

Most rooms are equipped with a small kitchenette (mini-fridge and microwave), and although breakfast is included in the guest lounge (2nd floor), there is a very excellent grocery store (Provigo) located just around the corner from the hotel (on Ste Catherine St.) which is open until 2:00AM.

On the opposite corner is a major post office (so convenient for mailing those postcards and gifts to the folks back home!) - and if you are travelling with a laptop, high-speed internet access is only $9.95Cdn for 24hr access.
Left your laptop at home? Not to worry, because there is an internet cafe right across the street from the hotel!! (it is called "Battle.Net" if I remember correctly).

Unique Qualities:
There is no pool, but the hotel has recently added a small gym and excercise room, but I haven't had to opportunity to check it out. They also have excellent conference facilities and a small buffet breakfast lounge area.

The buffet breakfast is nothing fancy - your typical juices, fresh fruit, cereals (hot and cold), croissants, bagels, toast, muffins, tea and coffee. The croissants are outstanding. And all layed out in a very attractive and quiet setting. The wide screen TV is set to CNN and local news, but it is set back in a corner of the room and not so blaringly loud as to disturb those who enjoy a quiet breakfast. Newspapers (both local and the New York Times) are complimentary also.

Speaking of rates, they are fairly reasonable compared to the other downtown hotels in the area. We paid $125.00 Cdn a night/per room during a weekend stay (March 2003) in a standard room, breakfast included.

My only complaint about this hotel is the rather plain bathrooms, with standard size bathtubs. They're Ok I guess - pretty much what you'd expect of any standard hotel bathroom - but I love a good soak at the end of the day in a big whirlpool/jacuzzi type bathtub, and it's a shame more hotels don't offer this feature.

Still, in my opinion - definately worth the money in comparison to other hotels in this area.

Hotel web site: www.hoteldufort.com/

Budget, not Boutique

by TripAdvisor Member Fastidiousfred

I travel to Montreal regularly on business and thought I would give it a try since they were offering pretty reasonable rates. This is a hotel catering to the budget tourist or anyone else looking for an inexpensive stay downtown.
Pro's
Reasonable rates
Spacious and well equipped rooms with safe, windows you can open and a kitchenette
Con's
Odd-ball location in Concordia University ghetto
Only two elevators
Insufficient and indifferent staff
Bland room designs
Small bathrooms
Not particularly clean
Similar hotels in the downtown include the Marriott Residence,Le Cantile Suites and the Phillips Square. Of these the Phillips Square gets my vote.

Visiting Montreal

by snwbnnyinoz

We are going to Montreal next week for a flying visit. Only 2 days and from everything I've read, we will have alot to fit in.
We are staying at the Hotel du Fort (read a couple of good reviews on here), plus the price includes parking and buffet breakfast.
The questions I do have are:

1) How easy is it to walk to downtown and old Montreal? Are things far apart that we will need to drive or can we just walk?

2) My brother says that we just have to eat at the Barbie Barn. I can't find it on the internet. He says its the best chicken and ribs he's ever eaten. Anyone know where it is?

Thanks Paula

by Ruslan124

Your hotel is almost in the center of town so walking is no problem. I would not bother driving, either walk, use the Metro or take a cab.

Old Montreal is walking distance from your hotel but it is a good walk, 45 minutes or more.

The Barbie Barn is 5 minutes from your hotel and I thinkit is on Bishop or Mackay between Crescent and Rene Levesque.

There are so many good eating placs in Montreal, you cannot go wrong.

by mtlman

You will be well located right in the center of the city. The very heart of the city Peel and ste-catherine, is a 15 minutes walk. Using the metro is the easiest way to get around.

Old Montreal is a 45 minutes walk or a 10 minutes ride on the metro.

Barnie Barns is on Guy st. just south of ste-catherine

Enjoy your stay in our great city

by cleung

Walking around downtown and old Montreal is easy so don't worry about that. As for the Bar B Barn, there's one in the west island suburbs near where I live and I've been there once and will never go there again. If you want ribs, I would suggest the Baton Rouge restaurants, the best ribs in town in my opinion.

Clint

Free Spirit Gallery
Exquisite Inuit (Eskimo) & Native Art

Re: Re: Visiting Montreal

by retiredjack

Hi,

Welcome to Montreal I hope you have a great time.

Yes your brother is right but the spelling is wrong, the best ribs can be found at the Bar B Barn. their web site is http://www.barbbarn.ca.

Have a great time, looking forward to see your comments and pictures.

Jacques

Re: Re: Visiting Montreal

by snwbnnyinoz

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to visiting and experiencing Montreal.
Does anyone know if there are tours/shows etc at Cirque du Soleil?

Thanks,