Hilton Montreal Bonaventure

See Hotels with Better Ratings

Tags

Travel with Pets Business Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
See Amenities

Pet owners beware! They took my dog!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 18, 2011

My husband and another couple recently had the misfortune of staying at this awful hotel. We brought along our two dogs as we normally would. We travel often and always take our dogs with us instead of boarding them. Upon checking in we signed a form agreeing not to leave our pets in the room for an “unreasonable amount of time”, which in our minds meant several hours and the hotel staff did not specify. After getting unpacked and ready for the evening we left for dinner. We were maybe gone 45 minutes at the absolute most when the hotel called my husband and said that one of our dogs was barking and we must leave dinner immediately and return to the hotel. We called the waiter over had him box up our food and we left. When we got to our room and walked in the door one of our dogs was missing. I was already worried because it is very out of character for either of our dogs to bark and be a nuisance. My friend and I hurried to the front desk as our husbands continued to search the room for the dog. The staff was extremely rude to us and told that security had removed the dog from the room and we should be grateful that they did. I would have had no problem with that BUT if they were capable of calling to demand that we leave dinner then also tell me that you are taking my dog for a walk. Do not let me return to find him missing. I tried to explain why that was upsetting and that I love my dogs as if they were my children and the lady said good parents wouldn’t leave their children unattended in the room. Then I was told that the pet policy we signed meant that pets could not be left in the room alone for even “one minute, because even that was an unreasonable amount of time” and it was “Hilton policy to remove animals from the room at their discretion whether their owners were notified or not.” Then after waiting for ten minutes security came walking up with my dog, held out his leash, and asked who is responsible for this animal. At that time my husband and my friend’s husband began to lose their tempers, but who wouldn’t in a situation like this? We had enough and asked if we could check out and if they knew of any other pet friendly hotels. They suggested one, so my husband walked over to check in while we were packing up the room. Apparently the Hilton called the hotel that they had suggested and told them that we had an unruly pet and to beware of renting us a room. As that was taking place across the street, my friend and I were packing up the room and all of the electricity in the hotel went out. It was pitch black. We went back to the front desk and was told that it was a planned black out and were given two glow sticks. So for the next four hours we had to sit in our room with no electricity and two glow sticks. I called the manager several times that night to try to settle the matter, but no one answered or called back. It took a week and a half and a nasty message from me to finally get a response. I was told that we could not receive a refund because they had to give 3 other refunds because of our barking dog. I’m sorry, but if anyone deserved a refund it was us.

Unique Quality: I've never been treated so poorly by hotel staff as we were here.

whodunit's Profile Photo

Downtown Hilton

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 26, 2006

Stayed for 5 days and 4 nights. The trip was business but extended for personal reasons. The outdoor pool in the middle of winter is brilliant - what a fantastic experience and I'm not typically a pool guy. The meals were average, the rooms relatively nice - more important they were cozy. It was a very nice hotel that tried to keep an outdoor/jungle theme in the middle of a city. They did a pretty good job. You can get MUCH better prices on the internet than the desk will give you. It seems this is a popular spot for events as there were *many* going on in the short time I was there.

Unique Quality: outdoor pool

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

Montreal Travel Forum

Need advice about Montreal, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Montreal and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Montreal hotel reviews

Holiday Inn Select Montreal Centre Ville
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Hotel Intercontinental Montreal
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews
CLOSED Holiday Inn - Montreal (Midtown)
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews