3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

HolidayInn.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 24% lower than similarly priced 3.5 star hotels

More about Montreal

Graffiti and city drawingGraffiti and city drawing

CauliflowerCauliflower

Another street scene in Little ItalyAnother street scene in Little Italy

The BiosphereThe Biosphere

Hiking/canoeing trips Mont-Tremblant

by becks_31

I will be in Montreal for a conference in May and would like to take a few days holiday afterwards. I wondered if anyone knows of any groups that run guided hiking trips in the Mont-Tremblant national park?

by mim95

You might want to check with the Mont-Tremblant resort. My friend has been on a guided canoe trip there.

by GrumpyDiver

Check out the following link:

by ramot418

What level of hike difficulty?
When I was there about 3 years ago, I just drove to one of the well-marked trails and walked it. I remember that there are quite a few. You don't need a guide for something like that.
OTOH, if you want something that involves, say, abseiling and canoeing, that's another matter.

by mim95

Yeah...there are marked trails and it's not too difficult. If you are going further inland, then you'll need a guide and equipments.

Travel Tips for Montreal

Travelers Take Note!

by lovemycacti

- Montreal is gorgeous. However, there are many, many things to keep in mind. Although I don't live there, I've learned a few things the hard way in a short time - so take notice!

- Welcome to Canada's worst drivers and traffic! Most drivers are not polite, will cut you off in traffic without the blink of an eye and drive so quickly you'll think a jet is passing you. I'm really, really not kidding. Plan your route ahead, and anticipate delays.

- Downtown Montreal on a weekend night, is frightening in many areas. You're probably safe, but there is an abundance of prostitutes. I felt outnumbered too - there are many gay men and gay bars downtown.

- When going into any restaurant chances are something called "poutine" will be on the menu - even in McDonalds. This is a delicious mix of fries with gravy and mozzarella cheese smothered on top. Not an ounce of nutrition in it, but it is sooo darn tasty.

- Everything closes at 6pm. I mean it! Shopping malls, many restaurants and stores all roll up as dusk hits. Even trying to find an open food-chain was hard to do.

- A little French goes a long way. Most people are bilingual in English & French. However, it wouldn't hurt for you to be able to understand some basic words. For instance, going into a Burger King downtown Montreal, I asked the girl for "white milk". She gave me the most strangest look and repeated "white milk?" several times. Knowing how to ask for directions to the nearest washroom is always good to know too!

- Book your hotel room BEFORE you go to Montreal! I can't stress this one enough. We made the mistake of not booking one night - and so we ended up sleeping in bunk-beds designed to be for kids - in a room the size of a closet for over $125! Don't try this at home. Book ahead. Book ahead. Book ahead!

-Gas prices hurt. Usually up to .15 - .20 cents a litre more than the province of Ontario.

Montreal Tip

by pollon

at the cost of being repetitive... as I have already said something similar on my Toronto page, which is an integral part of this trip... the inexperience was the main ingredient but seasoned by the charm of the new things... which means: be prepared to hear feelings more than real usefull tips... forewarned is forearmed ;-)... and here a first memory: me in a commercial centre where I asked a very nice woman if I could have a pic with the funny pumpkin of her till... well, 11 years ago it wasn't so common to celebrate halloween in Italy, which however...I know, I know isn't a good reason for such a silly pic... anyway the friendly lady put a hat on my head and told me to take place beyond the till... here is the result...

Sunrise at Montreal

by victorwkf

One of my fondest memories of the Montreal trip in Feb 2009 was the beautiful sunrise seen from the window of my hotel room.

Beside this was a working trip with my bosses, I hardly have any time to explore the city on my own. Furthermore, it was very cold and snowing outside due to the winter season.

Given the chance, I would love to visit Montreal and Quebec province again on my own for sightseeing. However, the distance is really very far from my home Singapore (about halfway across the world).

St. Joseph's Oratory~Statues

by nicolettart

These wood sculptures may seem a little strange at first~~they are not the traditional style you might expect. Very tall, and slim, they appear to be carved out of solid tree trunks. I believe they portray the apostles.

Knowing French

by fairy_dust

Since Montreal is very cosmopolitan and has a lot of immigrants living there, it's easy to get around with English. But there are people who don't speak much English, so it's good to know some French. Just remember that the French spoken in Quebec is totally different from what is spoken in France. Some European girls I know could barely understand me when I spoke French to them, because they had never heard my accent before (one of them said "She has a crazy accent when she speaks French!).

Comments