Holiday Inn - Montreal (Midtown)

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

420 Sherbrooke Street West, Hwy 2, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 1B4, Canada

Holiday Inn Montreal Midtown
IHG Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 17% lower than similarly priced 3.5 star hotels

• Not impressed

It is hell trying to park in the hotel parking lot, and it's quite expensive. I would not recommend it to anybody. They had a computer lounge, but wouldn't let anybody use it because of some convention going on.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn - Sherbrooke Street

On another trip to through Montreal I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Sherbrooke street.

I have to say this was a very nice hotel and at $140 CDN or so a night was one of the cheaper ones downtown but I had a great room on the corner with great views of the city.

It was busy there with a nice restaurant.

Unique Quality: What is important about this hotel though is it is just one street up from St. Catherine's street so you are right dowtown and it makes for a great location to explore Montreal.

There is also an indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, restaurant & bar, massage service, same-day dry cleaning, boutique, indoor valet parking, exercise room and beauty salon.

• randomdent's Profile Photo

Older hotel & decent service in excellent location

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights from August 26-30th. Overall, I was satisfied with the hotel's amenities, staff and condition....though I do think the real strength of this particular Holiday Inn is it's location.

General Appearance:
    This is an older hotel, located on Sherbrooke Ave, just a few blocks from McGill University. The building itself is a rather ugly green color. The lobby is surprisingly small. It's definitely an older hotel - it still has that late 60's, early 70's feel to it. There's a tiny gift shop in the lobby, where you can buy postcard stamps and other trinkets. The concierge desk is located next to the elevators, and usually has a bored looking concierge hanging out. The elevators are old and creaky.....one of the elevator cars doesn't stop completely flush with the floor, so it's possible to trip when getting in. Everything, from the lobby to the elevators to the hallways, is on the dark side. A few more light bulbs here and there wouldn't hurt.

Check In:
    When I arrived at the hotel at 8pm on a Thursday, the rather small lobby was crowded with arriving guests, and only two people working the desk.....one was assigned to Priority Club members, and the other to "general" guests. It took me at least 20 minutes to check-in....not an enjoyable experience when you've just spent an hour in customs. When I finally did get checked in, the process went smoothly, and the staff person was friendly enough.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

The Perfect Locale, Once You Find It!

A regular Holiday Inn but in a fastatic location in downtown Montreal.
    We were in a corporate room, thanks for someone's hotel points, and had a nice room with two double beds. There's the usual coffee maker but if you want tea you need to ask for that.
    The room comes with an iron and full size ironing board which is great!
    Corporate room rate is about $425, thank heaven we didn't pay! I'd never pay that for a room!! Well, unless I happen to win the lottery ;-)
    A room on the corporate floors also gives you access to a business lounge with a computer with free internet access! That's where this tip was written ;-) There's also free coffee in this lounge.
    Downstairs there's a bar/restaurant, though very smoky. A small giftshop sells stamps for those postcards for VT friends ;-)

Unique Quality: Shopping is only a few minutes walk away!! It takes about 8 minutes to walk to the wonderful underground city filled with shop and shop, everything that you need :-) No need to go outside in the frigid weather ;-)
    To find the hotel by public transit take the Metro to the Place Des'Artes stop, go up the exit for Jeanne Mance, head right up the street to Sherbrooke. Turn left and a couple of minutes later you'll be at the hotel. The woman at the train station told me the hotel was to the right so it took me a lot longer to find the hotel :-(

Directions: Downtown Montreal, near Place Des'Artes metro stop.

More about Holiday Inn - Montreal (Midtown)

Not the best place to stay...keep looking

by TripAdvisor Member lala1043

We have just got back from our third trip to Montreal...this was our first stay at the Holiday Inn Midtown and our last. We experienced problems right from the check in time, of which they would not honor the price that they quoted and emailed confirmation of , when we got there....we ended up paying an extra $50/night on an 8 day stay.
We had emailed them 2 weeks prior to ask for non-feather pillows and a fridge for our room....that didn't happen. I had to ask housekeeping to change the pillows and for extra pillows as we had requested prior, and we were told just to empty the bar fridge in the room and use that. We stayed on the executive floor....not much different then the others, definitely not worth the extra money paid.
The free internet was down most of our weeklong stay. Their continental breakfast in our "lounge" was stale croissants and muffins. The free coffee was dirty laundry water. They rented rooms on the floor to graduating high school kids that kept us up until 4:30 am and we finally had to call hotel security because of the noise and disruption.
There were 3 good things I can say......the conceirge service was impeccable, helpful and always friendly. The food in the restaurant was great and excellent prices. The pool and hot tub were good.
Honestly, use this hotel as a last resort....but search around first. We will not stay here again....very disappointing.

Not worth the price

Room is old, small, dark. Air conditioner is not strong on hot days. Bathroom small, dim lighting, stink odour. Hotel as a whole is old, dirty, and not pleasant.

For the price, there are other hotels with better quality, level of comfort, and facilities.

Not worth the money

Definitely not worth the money. Room was small. No vent in bathroom. Shades would not shut completely so room was bright at night from outside lights and in the early morning from the sun. A/C was not working at 100% so room was warm. Could hear family next door in the morning thru the adjoining door. Very uncomfortable stay. Did not check the pool out so cannot comment about that. Room was clean though. Long lines at the check-in/check-out counter throughout our stay. Door service was great. Valet service was slow so better off parking on your own. Would not stay here again and would rather try my chances somewhere else.

go elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member ucpkbl

We stayed at another, better hotel, but had to add a day and ended up here. Wish we'd read these reviews first...I am in agreement with the comments regarding cleanliness, dinginess, and noise factor. There was a group of teenagers or college students on our floor that were noisy and inconsiderate and ignored requests to quiet down. It sounded like people were slamming doors all night. The blankets were thin and scratchy and the room seemed run down and not quite clean enough. I would not stay here and would not recommend it. I was so glad I only had to spend the one night here.

Okay, but there's got to be better places to stay

by TripAdvisor Member CarolStrick

I came in with a tour, so we didn't have to go through the desk (the subject of some reviews). What I did notice was that the hotel was absolutely SWAMPED with other tours, mobs and mobs of people strolling here and there. The room was okay -- standard mid-range hotel fare -- but it was COLD. Many others in my tour complained that it took all night for their rooms to warm. Luckily, there was an unused bed in mine whose quilt could be used. Breakfast was via menu -- no buffet that I saw -- and watch those mobs! My waitress really ran hard, kudoes to her!!!, and delivered a fairly good US-type breakfast, nothing to write home about. When I returned to Montreal a few days later I stayed a couple blocks down at the Casa Bella and played with the idea of cancelling there and returning to the Holiday Inn. Which tells you somethng about the Casa Bella. Montreal's a big city; there's got to be a better mid-priced hotel somewhere!

Comments