Hotel Jazz

1216, rue St-Hubert, Montreal, H2L 3Y7, Canada

More about Montreal

Quebec FlagQuebec Flag

Lachine on a calm autumn dayLachine on a calm autumn day

View of downtown and Mont RoyalView of downtown and Mont Royal

OdysseeOdyssee

Biodome/Fireworks

by timewaster

Is the Biodome worth visiting for adults? I heard it is geared mostly to kids?

I will be in Montreal Aug 5 - Aug9. I read that there is a fireworks competition. What is the best spot to see it for free?

Thanks,
Tom

by Jefie

If you like animals, you'll probably like visiting the Biodome. I've been there a couple times and I enjoyed it just as much as the kids. I guess it's a bit like visiting a zoo or an aquarium?

If you're in Montreal from August 5-9, you'll be able to catch the fireworks on Wednesday, August 6. My own favorite spot to watch the show for free is at the "Quai de l'horloge" in the Old Port. It's a pretty popular spot so you might want to get there early. Some of my friends also gather along Notre-Dame street near the Jacques-Cartier Bridge to watch the show.

Hope this helps, have fun in Montreal!

by Cal_Al

I visited the Biodome I would say that most of it was great! I suppose it would depend on whether you are into artificially re-created ecosystems. I think I remember being a little disturbed by the penguins, but other than that it was quite impressive... an interesting use for the old Velodrome from the '76 Olympics!
If you like insects, I would highly recommend the Insectarium across the road... this was perhaps more impressive than the Biodome! Great T-shirts too!
Have a great trip!

by timewaster

thanks.
what time does the fireworks start on Aug 6 and how long does it last?

by Jefie

It starts at 10:00 pm and if I'm not mistaken I think it usually lasts about 45 minutes.

by LeDragon

I have to confess, I never have been to the Biodome. But I strongly second the Insectarium, quite peculiar.

Travel Tips for Montreal

Le Mondial SAQ Fireworks

by levoyageur

The Mondial SAQ is one of the most prestigious pyrotechnics competition in the world. Each country present a fireworks. From end of June to end of July.Saturday and wednesday in La Ronde (Six Flags park / metro Jean-Drapeau). The Jacques-Cartier Bridge is close for car during fireworks evening so you can stay in the bridge too look the fireworks.
This year:
France/Portugal/Australia/China/Italy
Argentina/USA/Canada/England

The Illuminated Crowd

by tpal

I have to admit that most "public" art leaves me cold, particularly the corporate variety. It often seems the sort of thing that warrants an "oh, isn't that interesting (what ever it was)..." but doesn't necessarily entice you to slow your pace as you pass by. This stunning sculpture, on the other hand, caused me to stop dead in my tracks.

Located at 1981 McGill College Avenue in front of the BNP Tower this intricate piece of public art demands study. It is "The Illuminated Crowd" by Raymond Mason. A plaque in front describes the work in the artist's words:

A crowd has gathered, facing a light, an illumination brought about by a fire, an event, an ideology - or an ideal. The strong light casts shadows, and as the light moves toward the back and diminishes, the mood degenerates; rowdiness, disorder and violence occur, showing the fragile nature of man. Illumination, hope, involvement, hilarity, irritation, fear, illness, violence, murder and death - the flow of man's emotion through space.

It was not until I was home and could examine my photograph that I realized that I could identify the emotions on the faces in the crowd.

Just for Laughs Festvial

by Reverend

More in the Nightlife section about this annual Montreal festival tradition.

Visit the festival's website: http://www.hahaha.com Great shows for all ages, and all pocketbook levels. Some of the best in comedy from around the world, from big names (like Tim Allen, Wayne Brady, Jim Belushi, Eddie Izzard,) to lesser-knowns on their way up (Eddie Izzard was not well-known when he first appeared at Just for Laughs,) and very talented and entertaining street performers brought in from around the world.

Past big names include Drew Carey, Jay Leno, and legends like George Burns.

Fashion shoots

by Dabs

While in Quebec we saw not one, not two but three fashion shoots, a little odd since in all my travels I don't think we've ever seen one before. The first was in Quebec City near the Convent, the second was in Vieux Montreal near the Marche Bonsecours and the final one at near the Fort on Ile-Ste-Helene in Montreal which had weird Nazi overtones as the severe slick haired model in a trenchcoat goose stepped, hopefully that was not part of the shoot.

Tim Hortons

by tuoedisni1

If you are from the Northeastern US like me, you are probably not familiar with Tim Horton's. This is not just a coffee shop, but a daily hang out . There seems to be nothing like it in the NY area. Our two most famous coffee houses are known either for their quick take-out (Dunkin Donuts) or for the people who get one coffee and sit for the afternoon taking up an entire table to themselves (Starbucks).
Everytime I walk into a Tim Hortons, there are always groups of people young and old sitting down. And not only do they appear to be enjoying their coffee, but also the conversations and people around them.

Comments