3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Travelocity Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Surprise Check-Out Bills & Awful Staff

Our encounters with the staff and hospitality system at this hotel were the most unpleasant, frustrating, and inefficient aspects of our trip in Montreal. Front-counter clerks would call us up at 3AM to check if we had guests. At check-out, there were many unforeseen and unwarned costs: we had to pay more than $200 to check out due to parking (understandable at $20/day), internet ($10/day, passwords that do not work, inconvenient sign-up, different log-in information everyday despite the fact that they bill you continuously if you don't tell them to stop the service), charges for guest (they billed us for the entire time we were there, although we just had a guest in our room for a while and who did not use hotel facilities) and taxes/fees of every sort. The man who was also checking-out next to us raised his eyebrows and looking at his bill said, "Wow, I didn't realize there would be three kinds of tax..." We were berated and bullied with challenges like how the hotel would know if our guest ever left if the guest did not check-out at the front desk: this is ridiculous because our guest never stayed overnight, and because we were never told that guests have to check-in and check-out. Surveillence cameras were everywhere on the lookout not for our safety but for the safety of the hotel coffers. Valet is mandatory with parking, despite our wishes against someone driving our car. Bedsheets were not changed at all at any point during our stay: my friend had to settle with menstral-stained sheets the entire time there. All the balconies you see on the facades of the hotel are fake! The window frames are welded shut from the inside.

Directions: Near McGill University

• Worst hotel I have ever stayed in

We stayed at here for one night in June 2006 and our stay was terrible. I have never been treated so poorly by hotel staff in my entire life and I have traveled around the world. Our rooms were not ready even though I asked for an early check in, I was given a room key to someone else’s room and walked right in, our 3rd room was 4 floors above the other 2 so our group was split up, our pull out couch was broken and we were only given one cot to compensate, we were charged for 2 extra people when there was only one extra person. When I tried to sort out the extra charge at checkout, Sam at the front desk told me he didn’t want to hear any more from me due to one noise complaint he received. After everything I had been though (without one apology) I was the one being scolded. The hotel has a policy of making the guests clean their own dishes or you are charged $50. I am sure guests before us just put their dishes back after they used them without cleaning then because I found dirt and fingerprints on the glasses. Never stay at Le Hotel Cantlie Suites. The staff is incredibly rude and disorganized.

Unique Quality: Great view of the city from the rooftop pool

Directions: Downtown Montreal on the corner of Peel Street and Sherbrooke Street West

• usaircon's Profile Photo

Cheap and Nice

We had a great stay. The staff was attentitive, and the hotel was warm. It felt rather homey. And the rooms were very oversized.

Unique Quality: The pool is on top of the hotel, but we were there in Feburary and it was quite cold. it was a nice pool though, from the looks of it.

Directions: Very close to Peel and Sherebrook intersection. Near the

• Le Cantlie Suites

CAD 120

Unique Quality: There's a fabulous view of the city from the hotel roof, where there is also a rather nice swimming pool.

Directions: 1110 Sherbrooke Street West
    near Peel métro station

More about Hotel Le Cantlie Suites

Very pleased with Le Cantlie

by TripAdvisor Member EOtravels

I spent three nights in a studio suite on the 22nd floor. The room was immaculate and tastefully decorated (double bed, couch, desk, armoire, tiny kitchenette (microwave, no stove), bathroom with lots of formica counters). Breakfast was not included. Cost: US $114 through Hotwire. Overall, I was very pleased. The Le Cantlie is in a great location (museums, stores, Metro (Peel station). The staff were responsive and very helpful, even giving me a choice of rooms upon my arrival (which was early). Parking seems expensive (Canadian $16.95 + tax per night), but the garage staff were friendly and helpful. (I had a compact car, so there was no difficulty with an oversize vehicle). I had a lovely river view. I would certainly stay here again.

You'll Like It!

by TripAdvisor Member Quinteman

Spent several days here with a couple of friends. A few observations as well as comments on earlier reviews. Opinions are subjective of course, but we found this to be a super property. Arrived early, bellman stored luggage. When we returned to check in, before we had finished the process, the same bellman was waiting by the elevator with our luggage. When a request was made for bedding to make up the sofa-bed, housekeeping appeared within 15 minutes and insisted on making up the sofa, despite our protestations we could manage ourselves. The valet parking (where do these folks come from who are surprised to pay for parking at a hotel?) attendants were great. Prompt service, directions as required and usually some very humorous comments. Thanks guys.

The rooms were spacious and clean. Dated? I suppose. Certainly not abused or worn. The kitchen? Didn't use it but it seemed serviceable, if small. Elevators? We were on the 17th floor I think. Elevators were always available. Small complaint! Only one TV and that in the bedroom. Not good for three guys wanting to watch different games on the tube.

The hotel location is great and, if you haven't spent time in Montreal, so's the city.

I plan on using the Le Cantlie Hotel again in a few weeks time. I like this hotel.

Not impressed...

by TripAdvisor Member sa23nike

The lobby was beautiful but the rooms were poorly decorated. Our 11th floor view was of a back alley and rooftop so that was disappointing. Make sure you request a street view. The pool was pretty but filled with loud children every morning and night. The elevators tested your patience and although the metro was very close and inexpensive, we spent $58 (American dollars) to park our car for three nights in their garage. I've never heard of a hotel charging their own guests to park. It would have been cheaper to park outside the hotel and walk since we didn't use our car once. Not impressed and will not stay there again.

Not the Ritz, but not the Motel Dixie!

by TripAdvisor Member roderules

After reading some of the reviews on this hotel I was expecting something pretty trashy, but I was pretty satisfied overall. The room I was given was huge...the distance alone from the door to the room proper was over 10 feet. The room held two queen beds, with not the best mattresses in the world, I had a backache after 3 nights, but certainly not impossible. The decor was basic and somewhat tasteful with alot of pseudo/dark colonial style furniture. The kitchenette was immaculately clean and so was the room. The bathroom was pretty huge by Montreal standards, very clean and amply supplied with towels. AC was plentiful and operated quietly. Daily cleaning was finished by 11 am. The only negative things were the parking costs($16.95 a day in the hotel garage), corridors that looked old and dumpy and old fashoned key door locks. But if you're on a budget, these things can be quickly overlooked. The location was super, a quick walk around the corner to the Metro, two blocks to downtown Ste Catherine St. and lots and lots of superb retaurants. The staff was very friendly, but were unable to give me an itemized bill so I could recover my hotel taxes at the border, because I prepaid on Expedia. Go figure. I'd stay here again.

False Advertising

After a long drive from Boston to this hotel, we were told upon arrival by a very unfriendly desk clerk that there was no room for our car in the "valet parking" garage because we had a "high rise" car (we were driving an SUV), for which they had only limited spaces (the website said nothing about this). The desk clerk gave us a list of parking garages in the area, and after a 20 minute search we finally managed to park the car. So the first issue is--don't believe what it says on the website and their advertising about valet parking--expect to just find parking on your own. But this was just the first of our problems. Our "river view" room actually faced an alley and a brick wall. Our Air Conditioner unit first froze our room and then stopped functioning. Maid service was erratic--we left three dirty washclothes on the tub and returned that evening to find them still there and no clean replacents. Of our two coffee cups, one was missing by the second day (and when we reported this to yet another surly desk clerk she only said "Don't worry, you won't be charged for it," but seemed unconcerned about the fact that we were reduced to drinking coffee out of a water goblet). I will say that the location was nice and the room was fine, but there are plenty of other hotels in the area. For me the most disappointing thing was the attitude of the hotel staff; a few were helpful but most were surly to the point of rudeness. I'd say save your money and stay at the Best Western or a friendly place!

Not the worst, Not the Best

by TripAdvisor Member Ronnie0974

This was not the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, but definitely not the best either. The service from hotel staff was not the friendliest they did not make you feel welcome to their hotel. Our room was okay but I had to call three times to ask them to bring towels and sheets for the sofa bed up to the room. The view from the 15th floor was of a back alley it would have been nice to have a beter view.

Visiting Montreal July 7,8,9 looking for some cool girls to hang out with

by princeonfire

Hey,
My friends and I are visiting Montreal this up coming weekend July 7-9th...

We are coming from Toronto... We are all in University... we just want to see if some girls would like to hang out with us and show us around... and maybe party with us at night...drinks will be on us of course, gonna drink until we drop

We will be staying at Hotel Cantlie... 6 of us are coming... hopefully you have 6 friends to come party with us at night... During the day it doesn't matter you can show us around montreal...

We are a bunch of fun guys.. we just have a laugh at everything we do...

Contact me if you want... we are looking for preferably girls our age... but if you aren't that's cool... we don't mind...

Anyways Please include a pic when emailing me back...

I could only find pics 2 of my friends and myself on my computer... here are the pics

OH BTW we are looking for a good place to watch the game on sunday... so please give us some suggestions...

if interested let me know asap

princeonfire@hotmail.com

RE: Visiting Montreal July 7,8,9 looking for some cool girls to hang out with

by Redlats

Temperatures are pretty warm -- approx 30C. Might not be any cool girls -- only hot.

You realize VT is a travel not dating site, right?

Comments