2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 17% higher than other 2.5 star hotels

• tpal's Profile Photo

Not Glamorus But In The Heart of the City

Trying to find an affordable hotel in the center of the action in a major city is always a difficult balance between the sky high "we-saw-you-coming" glamor spot and the "quick-lock-the-door" bargain joint. I do like booking online however, so surprises do occur. Fortunately, the Hotel St. Denis was a pleasant surprise.

Located on rue Saint-Denis at the edge of the Latin Quarter and across the street from The University of Quebec at Montreal, the Hotel St. Denis while definitely not a glamor spot was pretty good, especially considering the price of about $68.00 USD which included breakfast. We did pay an additional $10.00 USD per day for unlimited in and out use of a parking garage (about a half block away) which was definitely worth it.

The hotel is older but well maintained with a welcoming small lobby and a very friendly and helpful staff. Our room was small but comfortable and clean. The view was out the rear looking at one of the university dormitories. Breakfast was served in the restaurant at the street level and was quite adequate.

The only minor negative was the occasional homeless person in the area. Being one block from the Latin Quarter some "local color" should be expected but it was not a problem.

Note: Price range below is for "Double Occupancy Per Person"

• MDH's Profile Photo

A Comfy Place in the Middle of the Latin Quarter.

The Hotel St-Denis is in my opinion one of the most comfortable small European style hotels I have ever stayed at. The staff were helpful, friendly and talkative whether you spoke English or French. The rooms were small, but went to great lengths to make you comfortable. The location of the St-Denis perhaps is the best; not only are you comfortable, but you are also right in the middle of literally everything.

Unique Quality: Clean rooms, great beds, nice bathrooms, good staff, great location, and nice 1920s atmosphere. If I am ever in Montreal again, L'hotel St-Denis will be my first place of choice.

More about Hotel St-Denis

Pretty Good for the price...

Okay, I would say, overall, you're going to get your moneys worth, as long as you bear in mind that you're not staying at a 5 star...for the most part..I stayed for the weekend, drove from CT and stayed w.my boyfriend
The Good-
Staff was super duper friendly, the parking is pretty secure, the room itself is almost impeccable when it came to cleanliness, it is quiet for the msot part and in a pretty decent location...there was a tv with cable a phone, ironing board and hair dryer like the web site advertises...the resutraunt attached to the hotel was amazing, we ate there first..the rooms and the hotel are basically nice

The Bad-
The heat is controlled at the front desk and was kept on both nights..when we complained about it, they aploogized but said that there was nothing they could do..there's construction on the beggining on st-denis, and they failed to mention that which made getting there nearly impossible..there was no clock included, although you can program the tv to wake you up..st denis street is loud and somewhat intimidating after 4am, so just beware of the chanting teenagers at 4am

Quaint gem in the heart of downtown Montreal!

We stayed at the St-Denis for one night (Saturday) with another couple. We prebooked a non-smoking room with two queen beds, and that's exactly what we got. We paid $149, which seemed to be quite inexpensive in Montreal on a long weekend. The front lobby, staircase, hallways and elevator are small and in some places narrow, but all in all it's a great little hotel! Don't expect your typical "chain" atmosphere, and keep in mind that this hotel was originally built in the 20's... The beds were very comfortable, the hotel room, lobby, hallways were all clean and welcoming, and the service we received was friendly and efficient. Parking was just around the corner for $12/night - quite reasonable for an indoor, secure parking lot in downtown Montreal. Once we got there, we parked the car and walked or cabbed anywhere we wanted to go.
One thing I found VERY convenient, travelling with another couple, was that the bath/shower was in it's own "bathroom" and the sink/toilet was in a separate "bathroom". Made showering etc... much easier when we were all trying to get ready!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is tired of staying in the "big box" hotels, or is just looking for a nice, quaint getaway at a reasonable rate.
By the way, I had read reviews here about the hotel being very noisy, but I can say that when I was trying to get to sleep at 2-3ish in the morning on a Saturday night, there was barely a sound to be heard with the windows open... it may depend on which side of the hotel you're on.

A Great Find

by TripAdvisor Member Aradia76

I was very pleased with every aspect of this hotel.
The price was great, and the room was nice and clean.
The hotel is right in town, so it was easy to get to everything we wanted to see.
I also thought all of the staff were very friendly, and I would stay there again if going to Montreal.

Great Location and Budget Friendly

by TripAdvisor Member chipnchair

My rating might seem high as it's based on the fabulous location/proximity to transportation and area attractions as well as the first rate front desk staff.

The rooms are what they are. They are small, the bedding and towels are clean but well used and the bathroom situation is not ideal. The sink basin in our room was located outside the bathroom right next to the front door and the floor below it got wet easily. There is also no counter space. The water closet itself is literally no larger than your bathub at home. You open the door and the toilet and shower stall (the size of a cruise ship one) are face to face with little room to move.

That said, parking is located in a garage around the block (on Rue Christin) and is easy to use (no attendant, you get a ticket pass from the hotel and go in/out as you please). The location is right off UQAM and the Berri subway station and you can walk easily to the Underground City, shopping and Vieux Montreal. It's also quite easy to get to locations outside the immediate area by car (e.g. Biodome, Parc Mont-Royal).

The front desk staff is helpful, multi-lingual and especially good about giving directions and answering questions about attractions.

Fantastic

My friend and I both paid £30 per night for our twin room, so weren't expecting anything special, but Denis was great. I understand some of the rooms are small, but ours came equipped with two double beds, a sofa, a tv with cable, coffee making facilities, an iron, hairdryer, and plenty of storage for clothes and the like. There's also a restaurant attached to Denis which makes great meals. We got some vouchers to have our breakfast free for the first three days - after that you have to pay, but the menu offers affordable prices.

The Hotel provides exactly what it says on the site. The rooms are clean, and well decorated, and the staff were kind, and very helpful. Apart from the maids, they all spoke perfect english, and were happy to give us directions when we wanted to go somewhere. Most stuff is in walking distance, and if it isn't destinations such as the theme park, and Biodome/Olympic tower/Insectarium/Botanical Gardens are very accessable on the Metro, which has trains running every five minutes. (so no waiting around)

I'd recommend Hotel Denis to anyone visiting Montreal. Theyre the best place I've ever stayed in, and if I go back to Montreal, I'd definitely stay there. If any of the staff are reading this, then I'd like to say thank you for the wonderful service. :)

Great basic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Cjwirth

The room and bathroom were clean, the bed was nice, and the staff is very professional, friendly, and helpful. The hotel restaurant is great for breakfast (excellent crepes), and it is a good bistro, restaurant, wine bar, and pub. Walking left out of the hotel on St Denis Street there are small restaurants, cafes, and shops for third of a mile along St. Denis Street, and then on intersecting Duluth Street in both directions for serveral blocks, there are small restaurants, some are BYO wine and some have terrace dining. Ignore the review about a maid trying to steal clothes (Sounds like a simple mistake to me. Who would want someone's dirty clothes??? Really). Similalry, the area is downtown, urban, lively, but I saw no prostitutes in the street.

Affordable and Clean

by TripAdvisor Member kpzkpz

For 112 CND pp (inc. taxes) St.Denis was a very good deal. The location is great... It's located right on St. Catherine and we walked everywhere inc. club area, Notre-Damme and Museum of Contemporary Arts, Old Montreal, China Town, etc.

The room itself was pretty basic, but very clean at the same time (same goes for the washroom). Staff was friendly and helpful, parking was secure, the restaurant was also pretty good (although we only had breakfast there). The only drawback is that AC wasn't that powerful, but it was a pretty hot time of the year.

I would stay there again.

Comments