5225 Cote-des-Neiges, Near Swail, Montreal, Quebec, H3T 1Y1, Canada

More about Montreal

Dining at Les 3 BrasseursDining at Les 3 Brasseurs

Main room at MuziqueMain room at Muzique

Photo of Canadian workersPhoto of Canadian workers

Museum of Archaeology and History / Place RoyaleMuseum of Archaeology and History / Place Royale

2 days in montreal in mid june

by dennyandconnie

we are going to new england for about 10 days and have decided to spend 2 evenings in montreal. we enjoy wandering old neighborhoods and eating in inexpensive restaurants that cater to locals. we tend to avoid the tourist experiences and look more for a "living there flavor".

thanks

denny

by pcg821

I just visited Montreal a few weeks ago and had a good time.I stayed at the Hotel Xixe Siecle in the Old Montreal section of city and it was very nice,I have a tip for it on my Montreal page for the hotel If you like gourmet pizza(Il Focolaio Pizza Resto) is a good place right off of ST Catherine's that was reasonably priced also a tip on my Montreal page . Remember your passport to return to the US,the new rules for re entry are now in effect.Also go up to Pac Mount Royal for some nice views of Montreal.

by Carmanah

Montreal is one of the least touristy cities that I know. By that I mean that even the so-called touristy areas are predominantly local in flavour.

My favourite area - the plateau - is situated at the intersection of St-Denis and Mont Royal. Lots of cool restaurants, boutiques, and sidestreets to explore. A real taste of a local Montreal neighbourhood.

St-Laurent aka: "the Main" is another street with local restaurants and boutiques.

Ste-Catherine is the biggest downtown shopping street and is where you can access the famous Montreal "underground city" - where shopping malls and Metro stations are connected through underground tunnels.

Although Old Montreal "the old port" has a lot of souvenir shops and restaurants that cater to tourists, you really can't miss it. It's the oldest part of Montreal - great architecture, cobble stone streets and some neat galleries.

You also must get to the top of Parc Mont Royal aka "the mountain" to enjoy the view of Montreal below.

by ScottHurl

I live in a suburb of Montreal and yes we have a great city. If you want to have the full Montreal experiance(if the weather permits)have a drink on one of the many terrasses in the old port, Cresent street or Saint Laurant/ St. Lawrence Blvd. Also try one of our deli's one of the best is Reuben's on Saint Catherine. Good luck, I hope I was helpful.

by ScottHurl

I live in a suburb of Montreal and yes we have a great city. If you want to have the full Montreal experiance(if the weather permits)have a drink on one of the many terrasses in the old port, Cresent street or Saint Laurant/ St. Lawrence Blvd. Also try one of our deli's one of the best is Schartz's on the Main St. Lawrence Blvd. Good luck, I hope I was helpful.

by jumpingnorman

Agree with previous posters...and in Mont-Rayale park, you can also see some drummers playing during the summer (I think it's on the weekends) --- it's a very nice gathering of local people and if you miss it, just walking around the trails of the park is awesome...Norman :)

Travel Tips for Montreal

IT IS HARD BUT IT HAS TO BE DONE

by RafaelTheSecond

I hate saying good bye, packing the luggage and come back home after one of the best times of my life. My trip to Canada was a life lesson, but anyway.

This is the opportunity for you to see how marvellous a typical street of Montreal is in the winter!

And if you have to go to the airport, make sure you are going at least one hour before the time scheduled, because the traffic is very slow during the afternoon, above all in the way to Dorval Airport! Fondest Memory???? Umm let me think...Mont royal was simply incredible!

Montreal has an exciting...

by MProcher

Montreal has an exciting architectural mixture of sky-scrapers and older and lower buildings. I found this neo-gothic church between shops, malls and business districts.
for more see the travelogue

The Old city the one which was...

by caf98

The Old city the one which was founded by french people leaded by Mainsonneuve , and surrounded by a wall during the English and French Wars is the most interesting thing I saw in Montreal.
You can still visit historic buildings and monuments in all the area between the Champ of Mars and the River St Lawrence. I enjoyed when I visited the Cityhouse of Montreal. There De Gaulle shouted to the crowds :'Vive le Quebec libre'

Montreal Tip

by Kindra

Listening to all of the great francophone music that my franco-friends introduced me to. The drinking songs, 'Ma chere Kindra, ma chere Kindra- lever ton verre, lever ton verre...', Louise Attaque and their song 'Je t'emmene au vent' ringing throughout the halls of the res where we were staying and our absolute joy when 'La Vie est Laide' would come on in the bar, (a Jean Leloup song that was very popular summer 1999). This is his third album, Les Fourmis. CHECK OUT MY NEW TRAVELOGUE ON FRANCOPHONE MUSIC!

Canada Day = Moving Day

by brazwhazz

To Montrealers, July 1st is not only Canada Day, but also Moving Day!

That is because the vast majority of leases last from July 1st to June 30th. So every year on this day, thousands of people round up their friends to help them move (in return for pizza and beer, naturally). So if you're wondering what all those moving trucks are doing all over town, don't worry, people aren't fleeing the city by the masses -- this is very normal.

If you're in Montreal at this time of year, you may want to set aside July 1st to visit some residential neighbourhoods and witness this interesting social phenomenon first-hand... before heading to the more official Canada Day celebrations at night, of course!

Comments