3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

1255 Jeanne Mance Street, PO Box 130, Montreal, Quebec, H5B 1E5, Canada

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 58% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• sherryflorida's Profile Photo

walk to old port, vieux port

The staff was very nice and helpful.

Unique Quality: This hyatt is above a full mall which includes a grocery store, atm, food court and restaurants.
    Walking distance to Old Port, Notre Dame, metro stop and Chinatown.
    Walk to water about 10 minutes.
    Hyatt restaurant on lobby floor.
    There is a pool, but i didn't visit it.
    Lavender citrus bath products.

Booked three night flight/hotel package on priceline.

• El_Cookie's Profile Photo

Central to the Jazz Fest

We booked the hotel on priceline for $110. It was during the Montreal Jazz Festival and the action was just outside the door of the hotel. Old Montreal is like a 10 minwalk form there as well.

Directions: You can't miss it if you are on Rene-Levesque lookin for Jeanne Mance St.

• nancy531's Profile Photo

Great location -- all the amenites

The Hyatt Regency has everything you want in a downtown hotel. Perfect location, friendly staff, clean rooms and nice facilities. The linens on the bed are the high quality sheets and comforters you get in better hotels with more fluffy pillows than you could possibly need. I was really happy because I got this hotel through Hotwire and paid less than 1/2 price of what the per night rate would normally be. I used the forum at betterbidding.com to help me figure out that the hotel that was offered at $99 per night with the description: 4* Downtown Customer Favorite and amenities: Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High-speed internet was the Hyatt Regency. The downside is that I had to pre-pay the whole stay and had no way to cancel - but for me that was a small risk. I understand this is also available on Priceline as a 3* but not sure how to get it from Priceline. Anyway...I would recommend it....but if you can get a discount --- it's even better.

Unique Quality: Heated pool with lifeguard. Fitness center with state-of-the-art equipment eliptical, treadmills, etc. Nice bar. Parking under the building was $15 per day. Located on St. Catherine St. at Place Des Arts subway stop. You can walk to old Montreal and China town (where you can catch the free shuttle to the Casino)

Directions: Place Des Arts. I'll upload the map I made as a picture.

More about Hyatt Regency Montreal

The Hyatt was great!

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency, Montreal, Dec. 27, 2004 through Dec. 31, 2004. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful from check-in, bellman, to maid service. Our room was very clean and had been recently refurbished. There is an underground mall accessible by elevator with restaurants (we recommend the Baton Rouge), shopping and a market. We didn't experience any of the probelms mentioned in prior reviews. Perhaps the renovations are complete. We throughly enjoyed our stay. Incidentally, we booked through Priceline at a very good rate and were treated no differently.

Probably the worst place I ever stayed at

by TripAdvisor Member karp415

Where to start? We stayed there last August, end of the month. I reserved via priceline and wished I bid lower.

Regardless of what I paid, the most unpleasant part of our stay included drilling (yes, drilling) directy above our room at 7am. Most other guests at check-out were also venting their discontent, but the staff appeared tired of defending the hotel. It was not their fault, but nobody alerted guests that major renovations were going on.

The rest of the room was very dreary and old. I suppose that was why the "drilling" was going on. I had a car, since I was there for business. I had to park across the street. It was inconvenient. There's an underground parking garage, I believe, but it was a lot more expensive. As a rule, don't get a car in Mtl unless you have to, and that's if you are lucky to get out of the misery of Dorval airport to your hotel.

I am a former Montrealer and have seen this property change hands a number of times. This was also a Meridien and Westin at some point. The numerous changes cannot be a good sign.

So yes, it was cheap, but I got what I paid for. One more note, I had breakfast in their restaurant the preceding Summer. One (1) waitress for a whole restaurant. Sub-par food as well; never thought you could screw up eggs.

It's just a matter of time before the place changes hands again. Finally, I think the Mtl Hyatt Regency is only a reflection of the seediness found directly east on Ste. Catherine street. Don't go until they finish their renovations, and even then...

Can-Am guests be aware you will be Poorly treated

First let me mentionned that this has nothing to do with Can-AM. We were booked there as hockey guests for our biggest tournament ever entered. We traveled all the way from Rhode Island. First on arrival they could not take care of our luggage and we had to make numerous trip back and forth from our tour bus to the lobby (which is a lot of work considering this hotel layout). Some of us were able to find help. Upon checking in we came to find out that they had split our team onto different levels. Their explanation was that the rooms were not booked at the same time!!! (Bull) Upon talking to other hockey guests we came to realize that they had done this to ALL the TEAMS entering the Can-Am Tournament. Their SECURITY was on our tail the entire time. They were rude rude rude the entire time and would not even step aside if encountere in the lobby on in the hallway. The pool facility was open to 30 guests maximum and this of course include the people sitting down. The pool attendants were too busy to keep an eye on the kids (they were fixing their chairs and towels) so that us parents were left to stand on the outside watching our children through a glass bay. One good thing it the location. Please do your team a favor and pick a nice Holiday Inn in Pointe-Claire.

Guest Rooms have been renovated.. but the bathrooms! YUCK!

by TripAdvisor Member deanhill

The Hyatt has finished renovating all of the guest rooms.. and they have done a great job! The rooms have been 100% redone - and have an upscale contemporary look & feel. Beds are very comfortable - pillow top mattress - duvet - nice linens - but no feather bed and the pillows were rather limp/flat. They don't use fitted sheets.. so every morning we looking at the exposed mattress.. (a Sealy).

The only thing they forgot was the bathrooms - they havent been updated since the hotel opened in the 70's.. I am surprised they did not include them in the renovations - they definately need it! The phone in our bathroom did not work.. the sink was cracked and the faucet leaked. Wall paper was showing wear & tear.. and there was noticeable water damage & black mold around the tub. Towels were standard motel quality - a disapointment.

Rooms are not equipped with mini-bars.. which we thought was quite odd. No in-room safes either.

High Speed internet worked very well (10.00 CAD @ day) but it is only available in 150 of the over 600 guest rooms.

More french than english TV channels (normal for Montreal).. We were continually channel surfing for something in English to watch! No free movie channels.

Excellent location.. walking distance to most tourist attractions.

We ordered 6 beers from room service (3.59 CAD each).. but after taxes and fees.. these 6 beers cost 41.00 CAD!!!

Front desk recommended the nearby 'Alto Pizza' - dont do it! was awful!

We will be back.. but only if we can get the same 89.50 CAD rate.

The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth is our first choice, but their standard 'Fairmont' rooms are considerably smaller than the Hyatt.

Location, Location, Location and great service

by TripAdvisor Member OnDWay

Just back from a weekend in Montreal at the Hyatt Regency at Complexe Desjardins. Previous reviewers are correct that the pillows are a bit slim, but otherwise we had a great stay. Staff was attentive, breakfast buffet extensive and delicious, room decor new and attractive, and the location is "the location". We visit Montreal often and when not staying in an apartment, the Hyatt will be our spot.
Special tip: Bring your own hairdryer. The contraption hanging from the bathroom ceiling was interesting, but not much of a hair dryer. (I wish I knew that one could post pictures---this would be classic.) Find a deal and stay in the center of the action.

Montreal

by zuhur

"Business visitors"

I recently attended a conference in Montreal. It was held at the Palais de congres de Montreal at 159 Rue Saint-Antoine OUest - a good, if somewhat impersonal exposition type of location for a large meeting.
The meeting was so good that I did not see enough of Montreal!
But, business travelers would probably appreciate the way the underground mall connects to this venue from the Hyatt Regency Montreal where I stayed - and I think the Inter-Contential is also nearby. It was cold outside & this location made it possible to go back and forth without cabs.

"Don't Forget Your Passport!"

If you travel from the US or to the US, you now must have a passport.
The travel security procedures on return were quite onerous. My plane had been cancelled & the airlines had rebooked me without even calling me! I rebooked again and the line to security took up much of the wait for the flight.

"Hyatt Regency Montreal"

I booked early, and yet, when I arrived, they asked me if I would mind sleeping in a room with the person next to me at the counter! They were overbooked with our conference attendees. So, no, I would not, but then I got the only room left which was a smoking room. The hotel lacked seating space outside of the restaurant-bar area. They could not handle a full crowd. Food was good, but everything was quite expensive.

The best point - a WONDERFUL indoor swimming pool. Strange underground locker room, but the pool has a multi-story space roofed in glass, so the sauna feeling is banished & nice assymetrical design, makes you feel like you're floating in a very odd space.

I supposedly had a conference discount which worked out to $203 per night - (the hotel had promised $169 CD or $142 in USD) - so the difference is taxes). The rooms are just the same as at all other hotels of this type - so no special charm, but the location was excellent for shopping or getting to the underground mall.

Overnight parking in street

Hi. We're thinking of staying at the Hyatt Regency in Montreal:

1255 Jeanne-Mance

Can we park on any of the side streets near the hotel overnight? Don't want to park our car in the garage.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!! :)

by DSwede

If I remember correctly in that area there are enforced parking meters. The meters will only allow you to park ~2 hours during business hours. I do not think they are enforced overnight, but the car must be moved (or meter paid) before the morning traffic.

by heywinks

Thanks! Exactly the answer I was looking for. :)

by verovero

I live near Montreal and I can tell you that I wouldn't do that... First, if you go during winter, if there is a snowfall, then they might move your car to clean the street. Second, if there is no parkmeter, it is probably a residence area and then you need a vignet to be parked there. If there is a parkmeter, the street might become a bus line within certain hours and then you will get an expensive ticket. If you still want to park your car in the street, check properly for the signs within 50m on each side of your parking place, in case there is not a sign saying it becomes a bus line within certain hours and then parking there becomes illegal. Personnaly, I would just go into a parking lot... simpler, not so much more expensive and you are sure you will not have any problem.

by heywinks

Thanks. We are going in 2 wks so no snow. Thanks for the tip regarding the bus lane conversion. I will check the signs and postings.

by bomobob

I park downtown for free all the time, and there are myriad places where you can park safely overnight. You just have to be able to find them:)
Jeanne Mance itself, between President Kennedy and Sherbrooke is a pretty good bet, as is a tiny street called de la Concorde, which connects Bleury and President Kennedy.
If you can figure out the signs, including the the permit parking ones, overnight parking is actually pretty easy to find and plentiful downtown.

by heywinks

Thanks, Bomobob! I'm going to put that down in my travel notes. Definitely want to park for free and use that money to eat better and to go shopping! :)

Comments