400 Rene-Levesque Blvd West, Montreal, Quebec, H2Z 1V5, Canada

• fdrich29's Profile Photo

Short money and great location

I have stayed at La Tour Centre-Ville for many of my "guy's" trips to Montreal. I stayed there once again last week when I was in town for the Radiohead concert. Price was $99 per night (stayed Tuesday and Wednesday night). The rooms are quite dated, still partying like it's 1969. Despite the aged look of the room it was quite comfortable with a queen size bed, dining area, separate seating area and kitchenette. There is a come-and-go parking garage beneath the hotel, which we hadn't previously known of, at a rate of $16 per day. Quite a deal considering we always parked blocks away and had to leave the car else pay again to park.

Unique Quality: Fairly nice view of south Montreal, if you look at least two blocks past the hotel. The view from the small kitchen window is quite comical, and better than TV in my opinion, as you look at countless windows in an office building, watching people diligently working...or not. The garage is a fantastic accommodation. Other than the price, my favorite aspect of this hotel is the location. Once arriving in Montreal after the 4-5 hour drive from Boston, the hotel is only minutes away on Rene Levesque. It's a few blocks from Quartier Chinois (Chinatown) and it's wonderful restaurants. Two blocks from St. Urbain and one street south of St. Catherine, La Tour is strategically located and an ideal locale. If you can get past the ancient rooms, the elevators not always working and the internet being down, it's a great place to stay. I'd definitely stay again if I was going to Montreal with friends.

Directions: Once Route 10 becomes University, take a right onto Rene-Levesque Blvd. Ouest. Located in Centre-Ville between Rue St. Alexandre and Rue de Bluery.

• The name says it all…

If you’re looking to stay in downtown without breaking your budget, then this is the place for you. I booked this place in the last moment, because I didn’t have many other choices at that time, but I couldn’t have made a better choice.

The room was HUGE, with a fully equiped kitchen (I didn’t even ask for this), and stunning views of the city. The personell was very friendly, curteneous, and room service was always on time. The hotel is just minutes away from the convention center, the financial district, the great cafés and boutiques of Saint Denis street, the restaurants of Saint Laurent street. And, if you’re interested in this, it is right across the street from the US consulate.

The only draw back was that parking was not free. Still, they have a heated garage, which turned to be absolutelly necessary, during our stay, when temperatures dropped below -20 degrees. Overall, a great place at a great price!

Directions: * Bonaventure Highway will change name to University Street in Downtown Montreal.
    * On University Street turn right on Rene-Levesque Boulevard.
    * La Tour Centre-Ville is at the corner of Rene-Levesque and De Bleury.

• wreckloose's Profile Photo

Apartment Style Hotel

This hotel was amazing. Split between 5 people it barely cost anything, and it was located right downtown so everything was either within walking distance or a cheap cab ride away.

Unique Quality: Our room had a bedroom with a king size bed, a pull out couch capable of sleeping two more people, and an extra cot. It also came with a kitchen (oven, fridge, sink etc.)

If you would really like to see your money stretch, go to the grocery store like we did and cook yourself a couple nice meals instead of going out to eat. You'll feel a lot better AND your wallet will still feel nice and heavy (until you go out to party that is...)

Directions: Right on the corner of Rene-levesque and Bleury. Can't miss it.

• ibanez's Profile Photo

Go to 'La Tour Centre-ville' ...

Go to 'La Tour Centre-ville' It's cheap, clean, very spacious, and in an incredible location. I believe it was renovated in 1998
    On average, the larger suites (1 berdoom w/2 twin beds, a kitchen, bathroom, and living room with a full sized hide-a-bed) cost about $80 Canadian dollars which comes to about $50-$60 US dollars depending on the exchange rate.

Unique Quality: Where else in the world can you get a suite that will sleep 4 people for around $50-$60 US per night?

Directions: Place des-Arts is pretty much the center of Montreal. Stay near there and you'll find all types of things to do within walking distance.

More about La Tour Centre Ville

It was not as good as I expected

by TripAdvisor Member rykzk

We stayed at La Tour Centre Ville for 2 nights in September 2006.
When we arrived at the hotel, the only front desk staff was talking on the phone, so we had to wait to check-in for a long time.
Our room (Small Suite) was big enough, but one queen-sized bed was small for us.
Overall, the room was NOT clean.
-There were a lot of fingerprints on the windows.
-Bed sheet was very crumpled, so it seemed not to be changed.
If your first priority about accommodations is cleanliness, I NEVER recommend you staying this hotel.
The location was OK. It was a 10-minute walk to go to Metro station, Chinatown, and Old Montreal.
Cafe Bistro at the 1st floor was good. Croissant egg and cheese sandwich (breakfast special) was delicious! But they didn't have croissant when we went there again, so I ordered bagel instead. It was not bad, but croissant was better. If you can, you have to try it!

Bad smell there

This hotel looks nice until you open the door to your room (mine was on 14th floor, southern side). The smell was bad, the living room's coffee table was missing a leg, the working chair's bottom was smashed and had to be replaced, there was a lot of strange stains (white stains on the sofa, red stains on the lamp, vomit under the lamp's table). The windows looked like some kind of tinted film was peeling off from them. The furniture looked used and old. The refrigerator in the kitchen was a yellow oldie. We had no microwave but they brought one when we asked for it.
On the plus side, the bathroom looked new and clean. The room was big enough. The inside garage is high enough for an Astro minivan (our ski rack just rubbed the garage door).

A horrible experience

On april 2005, my friends and I went to Montreal for a meeting. The hotel made an overbook mistake. The manager and counter ladies attitudes were arrogant and had strong quarrel with us. Our travel agency communicated with them and got false information and negative response also. That's really a nightmare.

It's practical because is in downtown. Not bad...

I stayed in this hotel with my wife for one week. I was moving to Montreal, so it was important for me to have a centric hotel with a kitchenette.

I think that you get what you pay for.

The bad things:
1- The heater (since we stayed in a chilli season) was a little bit too noisy. And since it was right in front of the bed you went from covering yourself to uncovering, hot, cold, hot, cold. But you get used to it.
2- The rug in front of the bathroom's door was a little bit lose and had small nails uncovered (dangerous for a senior or kid, or a sleepy person going to the bathroom).

The good things:
1- Very very comfortable bed. Actually now that we moved to an appartment we went back to the hotel to ask the brand of the bed. (its Simmons beautyrest)
2- It has the kitchenette, practical if you are staying for a long period and you don't want to spend in restaurants 3 times per day.
3- It has wireless internet in the lobby.
4- The service of the ladies in the lobby was ok, you won't receive smiles everytime you go ask them something but its ok, they help you.
4- Centric. But there are more hotels in the area. So this one doesn't count.

So I do recommend this hotel for people staying long periods.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member shymango

This Hotel is in a GREAT location, you can basically walk to all the Tourist attractions - Notre Dame, St. Catherine Street, St. Denis, and others. There is a grocery store right across the street called IGA. The Hotel itself isn't the most modern but on the plus side it has a kitchen which will save you a lot of money if you just cook your breakfast and lunch. The rooms are average looking, nothing fancy. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for the suite experience in downtown but want to save money.

Plus sides-
Great location
Friendly reception
Kitchen to save money
comfortable beds
Good TV channels

Negatives-
You have to pay for parking
The elevator is REALLY slow
Could use some renovations
Hotel hallways had a bad smell at first but it went away
showers water temps were unpredictable at times

With all that being said, I would stay there again

by BigNew

400 Rene Levesque Boulevard West Montreal, PQ

I will be staying here for the Jazz Festival. I was wondering if anyone from this site has ever been to this hotel. If so, what can I expect in terms of the service , cleanliness,size and location.

Re: La Tour Centre Ville

by rmdw

I've never been to this hotel but the location is perfectly central: 1 block from popular St. Catherines Street (where a lot of the Jazz Festival is held) and just a few blocks from wonderful Vieux Montreal.

I've heard in the media that Montreal hotels are hurting this year due to a lack of tourists so if you're not happy here, see if you can negotiate a better deal somewhere else!

Robert W.

Re: Re: La Tour Centre Ville

by Pierre_Rouss

Actually, I don't know the place or know anybody who have been there. That says something about the place. It may be fair to good at best.
The rates look good, the location is great walking distance from the Jazz festival, the Chinatown and the Old Montreal.
I may be in the area before the festival and will try to look it up.
Good luck,
Pierre

Re: La Tour Centre Ville

by Carmenniki

Hi there! I've been considering Subletting my loft for a period of 2 weeks (June 23 - July 6). Would this be an option for you?
It's really nice and at a very convenient location.
I'm leaving everything here so you would have access to
Internet, VCR, stereo…
and it's AIR-CONDITIONED!!! Well let me know if this is an interesting proposition for you. Reply or phone 514-849-7589. Thanks!

Comments