Le Nouvel Hotel-Montreal

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Le Nouvel Hotel-Montreal

Good location but that's it

by TripAdvisor Member Louisb21

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the "Le Nouvel Hotel" at the end of July. The hotel was very close to the highway and is located only steps away from Ste-Catherine Street.

Cheap parking and lots of space on 3 different level.

Food was not that good and it's always the same for breakfeast. We were on the 8th floor and the A/C was very loud. Room was clean and so was the hotel in general.

Average service from the front desk. Because the hotel is close to downtown lots of noise when Bar are closing at 3 AM. Also the pool is very small.

Great Hotel!

We just came back from a 3 day trip to Montreal where we stayed at Le Nouvel Hotel. After staying at a crampt Days INN in Toronto, we were pleasently suprised when we arrived at Le Nouvel. The staff (two females) were extremely friendly at all times, including when my girlfriend and i were trying to find a place to eat. On two seperate occasions the staff sat down with us and showed us on a map exactly how to get where we were going. The rooms were large, clean, and very quiet considering we were facing a busy street. We parked in the outdoor lot beside the hotel and had absolutly no problems. This hotel is in a great location, only 3 blocks from the Metro station and only a few blocks from Crescent street and St. Catherine, (where many bars/resteraunts are located). Some people are commenting on the size of the bathrooms being small. I'm not sure what hotels these people are staying at, but our bathroom was about what you'd except. It was clean and very bright. Our room also included a large TV and sitting area with sofa. The AC worked well and kept the room comfortable. All in All I agree with what one poster stated before, if you want a clean room in a great section of town that provides for a good starting point in the morning, stay here. If you are going to spend most of your time in your hotel, stay at the Sheraton.

Stay at this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mavs

If you are going to Montreal to spend time in your hotel room--then don't stay at this hotel. If you are going to Montreal to actually SEE Montreal, I highly reccommend staying at this hotel and saying the extra money for entertainment/shopping/sight seeing...which is what most people actually go to Montreal for.

I read the reviews for this hotel before I went, and some of them were really bad. I just spent the weekend there, and for the price I paid I would go back in a second. Sure its not the Sheraton, but it is clean, comfortable, and very affordable.

I did not spend much time in the hotel (i.e. i did not eat in the restaurant, did not go to the comedy club, did not use the gym facilities, etc.) because I went to Montreal to do things in Montreal, not in my hotel. I did take a look at the restaurant and it didn't appeal to me. This however, did not change my mind about the hotel, as it is a fairly "neutral" hotel and therefore I was not expecting to see a fine-dining restaurant.

The room is very spacious and clean. Try and get a view facing the street.

I had no problems with parking. Very reasonable price and you can go in and out all day without having to pay over and over.

The staff will help you, but they are not there as tour guides. Other reviews have complained about the lack of help and professionalism from the staff. I did not see this. It makes sense to plan your trip ahead of time and know what it is that you want to do, rather than take the time up of people at reception.

I rated this hotel 3 stars because even though I really enjoyed this hotel, it would technically be rated 3 stars given its no-frill layout and design. However, in terms of location and price...I would give it a 5 star.

good times

I spent three nights in a room and was satisied with size and how clean it was. The comedy club was hilarious and the bar was good for the pre game. It is close to all the local hot spots, cheers, peels pub, mad hatter, even hard rock is right down the road. I recommend for its pricing and comfort.

Exceeded expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Valdiri

I stayed at the Nouvel hotel for 2 weeknights.
I had never heard of this hotel and the price wasn’t that high, so I didn’t have great expectations… but I left quite satisfied with my stay there.

The standard room I was in was on the second floor, was *very* large and in quite good condition (aside from a torn blanket). The king-sized bed had nice linens, the bathroom was clean and had decent quality soaps.

The ice machine was not functioning in the hall – although this might have been a plus noise-wise as it was next to my door.
I could not hear the adjoining rooms nor the busy street outside - something which I really appreciate in a hotel.

There is a tiny gym in the basement with a few machines which I used once. I wouldn’t want to be in there with more than a couple of other people – but I was by myself and it didn’t appear to be used that much.

Location-wise, it is easy to get to next to the Ville-Marie expressway (720). It is a couple of blocks from the action on St. Catherine street. Other hotels are situated better perhaps, but this hotel is quite a bit less expensive.

The hotel is close to the Bell Centre arena (Home of the Canadiens) and felt safe day or evening.

Staff were friendly enough and appeared professional.

I would recommend this hotel.

Don't eat at the restaurant

The hotel was fine and conveniently located two blocks from the Metro and close to the Gare Central. A word of warning about the restaurant in the hotel...I ordered chicken and it was raw inside. I ordered a well done steak as a substitute & it was served medium rare. There are plenty of excellent restaurants in Montreal. Just don't eat here unless you like chicken sushi.

Great deal

by TripAdvisor Member uninspired_handle

I stayed at the Nouvel while attending a conference at Concordia University. The hotel's location was very convenient for the conference, but was also within easy walking distance (2 blocks) of a metro stop and the shopping on St. Catherine Street. I even walked to Old Montreal, though that was a bit further.

The hotel was very clean and the rooms had all of the amenities, including decent (Neutrogena) toiletries and a refridgerator and microwave. Plus there's free wireless throughout the hotel.

And the staff was really helpful! They didn't bat an eye at my requests for both early check-in and late check-out. The business center was being remodelled while I was there, but I needed to print a few things; they were happy to print them using the printer at the front desk. And they called cabs and provided maps and directions, sometimes before it had even occurred to me to ask them to do so.

Just stay at the Days Inn

It was a nice looking hotel with clean rooms. However, if you are paying big bucks to stay at a classy hotel with the amenities they claim to offer, I would suggest looking elsewhere. Our rooms were ok, regular old hotel rooms, nothing special. They claim to have a spa, which during our 3 day stay on a weekend was NEVER open. The receptionist was not very friendly or helpful. The fitness was a tiny little room with a few weights, a treadmill and a bowflex type machine. Their pool was a glorified bathtub, and their "convenience store" was anything but that, it was not open once during our three day stay. I must say that when we called for extra towels, (they gave us 3 for the 4 people staying in the room) they came immediately. It is a convenient location, within walking distance to downtown and the metro. In all honesty, it was ok... I am sure they could be a 4 star hotel IF you can actually use the amenities they advertise.

Four Star it ain't

by TripAdvisor Member brett&wes

Despite their touting of this hotel as a 4-star hotel, it is anything but. The air conditioning unit (on Floor 7) was so loud we had to turn it off and swelter through the night rather than try and sleep through what sounded like a freight train going through our room. The front desk staff were rude AND ineffecient, the restaurant staff just rude, no book describing hotel amenities or services, the towels were YMCA specials (and it took 3 separate requests to get the number we wanted), and there is no recycling provision ... and some of the pics on their website are not of their hotel.

As others have said, the only thing going for it is its location, but there are lots of other better hotels in the area at comparable prices.

Montreal summer 2004

by David_SanDiego

We went to Montreal to celebrate my birthday and went to the two World Cup of Hockey games in Montreal. They were both awesome nights and being there for two of Canada's wins was a fantastic experience. We stayed at Le Nouvel Hotel, convient to most of the city and friendly staff before heading out to Quebec City. Upon our return to Montreal we stayed at the Intercontinential in Old Montreal and it was a great hotel that allowed us to walk old Montreal and take our walking tours. We loved Pizzadelic and had a great conversation with the owner, in fact everyone we encountered in Quebec was very friendly and helpful.

Purple OnionsPurple Onions

Angel and me on stage full of leavesAngel and me on stage full of leaves

Close-up view of the triangular constructionClose-up view of the triangular construction

Touristy shops off Place d'YouvilleTouristy shops off Place d'Youville

mid priced hotel-downtown?

by keverina

comimg for the weekend in august.would appreciatate any recommendations.near metro line.thanks

Re: mid priced hotel-downtown?

by chiligoulie

Le nouvel hotel is not bad. here's their website:

Not far from there you have the Maritime. OK as well.

They're in the $125CAD price range per night

Re: Re: mid priced hotel-downtown?

by Supernib

Hello,

You can also try the Best Western Europa on Drummond. I think you can get a room there for about $109 CAD. You won't do much better than that in the downtown core unless you go to one of the smaller hotels, and I don't know about the quality of those. You're always safe sticking with the large chains. If you want to save some money, you can get a room at the Hotel Park Avenue for about $80/night. It's not directly downtown, but it's in an interesting area not too far away, and it's close to the metro (subway).

Just don't pick a place around Crescent St. if it's near St. Catherine or de Maisonneuve... the area will be crowded and noisy on the weekend.

The hotels recommended by chiligoulie are both good (I've been inside those when friends visiting from out of town were staying there), but might be a little pricey, as will all downtown hotels on the weekends in summer.

Try checking expedia.ca or travelocity.ca to get an idea of prices if you want to poke around some more.

Good luck!

S.

hotel possibilites in latin quarter?

by austin_urban_man

hello all,
I'm planning to come in to montreal for the Bjork gig later this month, and so I will need a hotel. I'd like to find something reasonably priced in an area with some groove, and thought maybe latin quarter might be a possibility. I know nothing of montreal, so feel free to rip me on that idea and set me straight. I plan to stay a couple of days after the show so I'd like to also be in an area that is good for walking and general bopping around.
p.s. the gig is at the "parc jean drapaeau"
thank you kindl y in advance for your help

Phil

by alza

hi
Parc Jean-Drapeau is on St.Helen's Island, right? (that's where Expo 67 was, easily reachable but not downtown)
A friend of mine always stays at the Hostel in Old Montreal and loves it.
any B&B in the Plateau area would be great (but B&B tend to be expensive, some anyway)
ANY area downtown is good to stay in, Quartier Latin wld be cheaper than Museum Trail (Sherbrooke/Crescent)
I like to stay at Le Nouvel Hotel on René-Lévesque Blvd, corner Guy or thereabouts. Right in town, all amenities, affordable.
Cheaper places abound though. :-)
Wish I could hear Bjork! have fun!

by virtualpatrick

Here's a link to a similar forum posting from last week that I replied to:

The hotel I suggested is the LeRoberval Hotel in the Latin Quarter (contact info is in the posting). There were also other suggestions made by others.

by shashasharon

Le roberval is a great location..walking distance to the metro and lots of action (and I mean all kinds)..have fun

by shop_girl48

I stayed in the hostelling international hostel, great rates, their own kitchen and small restaurant/cafe, a tv room and washing facilities. It's really close to the nightlife.

Comments