1193 Place Phillips, Montreal, Quebec, H3B 3C9, Canada

Le Square Phillips Hotel & Suites
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• Slightly better than a hostel

The stay was unremarkable. The hotel was drab. Dark, old, office building appearance. Our bedroom suite door looked like someone had left a dog in the room for a week (scratches all over),no room service or hotel bar to get a snack or drink. The continental breakfast was barely adequate. But what got me VERY upset was during checkout a manager approached me and lectured me on SMOKING in my room. I am an asthmatic, with little children travelling with me! I do not smoke, nor could I tolerate the smell or smoke even around me! I explained to her that she must be mistaken. She looked down her nose at me and told me I was lucky because she wasnt going to charge me! I was appalled that this rude, unpersonable and tactless staffer would accuse with such verosity when she was terribly wrong! Very rude! She did not even go up and check the room herself, very rude management.

Unique Quality: An opportunity to be accused as though you were a criminal.

Directions: Next to a very bright parking lot

• windoweb's Profile Photo

In the Heart of Montreal

Downtown Montreal
    On Place Phillips Street, between René Lévesque Boulevard and Ste-Catherine Street, stands Le Square Phillips Hôtel & Suites. This historical building from renowned architect Ernest Cormier was completely restored, harmonized with the present and is now prompted by a new vocation; one hundred sixty grand studios and suites were created to make you discover a new art of living downtown.

On the roof you have it all, indoor swimming pool, exercise room, sundeck and a view of Phillips Square that you will remember for a long time. To start your day on the right note, the hotel offers complimentary breakfast that you can enjoy in our private breakfast lounge or take and savor in the intimacy of your room.

Unique Quality: Hotel information
    Ten-storied (10) Historical building.
    Opened February 2003.
    **** Four stars classification.
    80 studios and 80 suites (1 and 2 bedrooms).
    Rooftop facilities; heated indoor swimming pool, exercise room and sundeck
    Check-in 3pm, check-out 12.00 noon
    Small pets allowed with conditions (Please call the hotel).
    Indoor parking.

Directions: On Place Phillips Street, between René Lévesque Boulevard and Ste-Catherine Street, stands Le Square Phillips Hôtel & Suites.

• Great for families

We - my wife, I and our two sons - stayed for 3 nights.

The room was huge and very nice furnished. A king suite with king bed with the bedroom separated from the living room by a glass and wood partition. The partition is not completely private but the glass is sufficiently opaque to allow an adult to dress without being completely exposed to your children of the opposite sex. Pull-out sofa bed and we got a cot for an extra $15 - well worth it. Only one bathroom, but that was not a problem. Also includes a kitchenette with a full size stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave. We did not use much, but probably would have with a longer stay. 10 foot ceilings and 2 televisions - one in bedroom and one in the living room.

Breakfast is included. Nothing great, but filling.

The rooftop pool and exercise room are great. My oldest son worked out several times and we all enjoyed swimming. A good view of the city from the rooftop deck, as well.

Free Internet is always welcome since most vacations tend to be at least partly working ones.

Good location, but remember Montreal is a major city. We felt completely safe coming and going at all hours. However, the ills of major urban life - homeless persons, some trash in the street, graffiti are visible as you walk around. But no more so than in the vicinity of the other major hotels we passed while out.

The staff was friendly, spoke English and very helpful.

One of the best places we have ever stayed on a family vacation. I would highly recommend to couples and singles traveling without children as well.

Directions: Downtown

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo

A Montreal Suite at a Sweet Price

We only stayed at Le Square Phillips for one night - but wished it could have been longer. Centrally located in Montreal's downtown area, the hotel is easy to find. Valet parking is available from the hotel at $16.50 before taxes (it's about $15 with taxes at nearby lots, but the hotel's is indoors and more secure). Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

We had a suite, which included a king bed, nice sized bathroom, and kitchen area with dinette and four chairs. Rooms come with stove, fridge, dinnerware, coffee maker, and microwave. Also included are a continental breakfast (pretty extensive) and high-speed Internet.

Unique Quality: Furnishings and style in this room was unique - the building is historic, but the contemporary style blends nicely. A central column was an interesting feature in the room.

The hotel has a rooftop pool and fitness area, as well as a wraparound terrace with great city views.

We found a rate of CAD$149 from the Internet.

Directions: Downtown

More about Le Square Phillips Hotel

Square Phillips is the BEST!

The Square Phillips is by far the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at in Monteal. It is located right in the heart of the city, and is within walking distance to everything. The rooms are exceptionally clean and very big. The continental breakfast was very good. The staff were all pleasant and spoke very good English. Even though we were only 1 block from St. Catherine's street it was extremely quiet in the hotel, couldn't hear a thing from the outside. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

one more happy visitor

by TripAdvisor Member Raglandttigeresq

Le Square Phillips Hotel fully lived up to its excellent reviews on our two recent stays. The small lobby is inviting and contemporary, the staff most courteous, and the hotel is exceptionally well maintained. The accommodations are attractive and very large, made to seem even larger by the 16 foot ceilings, a feature from its previous life as a warehouse. You can get an excellent meal at Julians one block over, or a smoked meat sandwich just up the street. The Bay and the Montreal Underground shopping are a block away, and we walked from the art museum to Vieux Montreal with our hotel right in the middle of things. More money will buy you more ostentation, but not a better place to stay and enjoy this city.

Perfect Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member becmurr57

We booked this hotel just because of the reviews posted on here.
Everything was so wonderful. We had a short walk from the train station. Hotel is in a nice area-some pretty churches near by & shopping too. Staff was very polite & helpful. They recommended a restaurant arund the corner & it was also excellent. The one thing that really stood out about this hotel was that is was so CLEAN!!! I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel as clean & tidy as this one.
Someone posted on here that there weren't any snacks in the room for the kids-well that shouldn't be a problem, there is a nice little cafe/store right off of the lobby. They had every snack right there & beverages, also prepared foods & they made sandwiches too. We can't wait to go back & we have told several friends about this treasure!!

Great stay

Fantastic hotel for longer stays or special diet needs. Each room is more like your own apartment. Full kitchen and super high ceilings.
Only downfall is the gym - old equipment and very limited selection.

Hard to believe but it lived up to the great reviews!

by TripAdvisor Member Fubarnole

Spent 5 days in Montreal and 4 great nights at this wonderful hotel.
First, the hotel is in a great location with easy access to the Metro (a couple of blocks to two different stations on two different lines).
Second, the rooms are immaculate, well appointed and spacious. While we were there for vacation this would be a great place to stay if you were on business or had an extended stay. Third, the hotel staff is outstanding - friendly, helpful and courteous. Stephen, Antonin, Dominic - all of the concierge were awesome. Little things like having a bunch of umbrellas available to the guests is a very nice touch.
Everyone was extremely fluent in English, overcoming one of our fears of traveling to this province. While we did not make it to the pool, it was nice to know that it was available. The Continental breakfast buffet was sufficient. Bottom line, the value was outstanding and the hotel was top notch...I highly recommend it to everyone.

Good value

What it lacks in excitement, it makes up for in value. Nice, large, rooms. Clean & modern.

A great place for a family trip (kitchen is a great feature). Good location. Not necessarily what I'd choose for a romantic getaway.

Comments