Nelligan Hotel

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 49% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Gwenvar's Profile Photo

One of Montreal's Boutique Hotels

The "boutique hotel" concept has been emerging in Montreal for a few years now. Whenever I walk past one, I feel grateful that such hotels have come in the Old Montreal and helped revitalize it. I love this concept, because it places in value what culture the hosting city has best to offer. It is like a window into our world. Especially as it is named after one our most admired Quebec poets, Emile Nelligan, who's work you'll see displayed around the hotel. And I must say that this one is very well made. It is really a pleasure for the eyes. And the H?tel Nelligan has won a four diamonds award from AAA (American Automobile Association), and a M&IT Readers Choice Award in 2005. So I guess that it is also a pleasure for it's guests. It is a mix between modern and old in a Montr?al sober/chic style... Just look at the pictures they have on their web page, this is way too hard to describe!

Unique Quality: They have so much to offer that it is better to view their web site since it is more than exhaustive on the subject. It is both great if you come here for business or leisurelly pleasure. They have many packages that you can choose from.

Directions: Old Montreal. Look at their "contact us" for complete info on how to get there from anywhere in the North Eastern parts of North America.

• L-A's Profile Photo

luxury and service in Old Montreal

One romantic night after a corporate dinner. Very intimate surroundings, excellent and polite service. Food excellent. They even had an expensive cd player/radio in the room and extras such as truffles, bottled water, top quality bath products, slippers, umbrella, robes, room safe, etc. The bed was BIG and very comfortable.

Unique Quality: Place used to be a library and archives and was renovated as a hotel.

Directions: Old Montreal

More about Nelligan Hotel

Loved The Hotel Nelligan

by TripAdvisor Member jaxsie

I recently stayed at the Hotel Nelligan for 5 nights while in Montreal for business. I could not say enough good things about this boutique hotel. As others have commented, the rooms are beautifully furnished - both hip and warm at the same time with exposed brick, dark wood furniture, a big, comfy king sized bed, a luxurious bathroom, and a CD player which seemed to be mysteriously turned on to a lovely classical music station every time i returned to the room. It made staying in this hotel such a treat. The added amenities such as the bottled water, fresh fruit, complimentary buffet breakfast and evening wine and cheese were superb bonuses. For business travelers, there is also a good sized desk, an ergonomic leather desk chair, and free wireless internet access (or pay a small fee for ethernet/dial-up connection). So you can work in privacy and comfort, away from the bustle of downtown Montreal.

The service was impeccable with an attentive and kind hotel staff. Whenever i needed assistance for anything including document printing, shuttle service to downtown destinations, and currency exchange, there was someone there to help me with a smile. They also don't charge those annoying little fees for these services, another sign that they take their guests' comfort seriously, and don't consider it just another opportunity to squeeze more money out of you.

I'd say the only slight drawback was that my room had windows facing the inner courtyard which meant that sounds from the restaurant and bar occasionally kept me awake on the nights i was trying to turn in earlier. However, if I hadn't been there for work, I simply would have just gone downstairs to join the crowd, because the bar and restaurant were lovely. Luckily it closed at around midnight so it was generally not a problem. Highly recommend this place.

Great hotel, bad room location

by TripAdvisor Member 5115

We just returned from 4 nites at Hotel Nelligan. Overall, we really liked it. The service was wonderful, the hotel beautiful. (Even the gym is great. It wasn't crowded and they spoil you with towels, water, fruit, etc) The only caveat I have is that obviously location is CRUCIAL because our room was next to an alley way and we were awakened consistently with bottles being either A) put outside loudly or B) being picked up even MORE loudly (and I do mean consistently-- even on Easter morning, the "recycler" was there at 7:30am--..my other warning for non-smokers like myself is that there seemed to be a LOT of cigar/cigarette smokers in the hotel, esp. at breakfast which was unpleasant and very difficult to escape as the breakfast room isn't that big )

The best hotel I've every stayed in

by TripAdvisor Member antionette922

I stayed at the Hotel Nelligan for a 3 day business meeting/training. This is by far the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. I have nothing to complained about. The room had this huge bed -- king size. When you walked into the room you were greeted with classical music playing from the radio/cd player. The bathroom was very clean -- spotless -- no mold or dingy tile. It also had a shower and a big bathtub. There was a pedestal sink, hair dryer and lighted mirror. In the wardrobe there were slippers and big comfortable robes. It also had a safe. There was a desk with high speed internet connection available. A large TV was also available.

The food: The food was fantastic. None of the heavy meals I'm used to in America but I didn't feel hungry. We have breakfast and lunch everyday at the hotel. Great selection of pastries, fresh fruit, cereals and juices. A good selection of cheese was served with each meal. The lunch consisted of a soup, sandwiches or wraps salads, fruit, cheese and desserts. The best tasting food I've had in a long time.

The hotel personnel were very helpful and couteous.

My room was on the fourth floor and opened out into the food court. It was a little noisy in the evening -- not too much -- added to the atmosphere -- and was quiet by 11 p.m. Didn't really bother me at all.

Thanks Hotel Nelligan for making my stay in Montreal a very pleasant one.

Poetry perfect romance

After staying at Hotel Nelligan for one night in March of last year I was certain that the hotel would be the perfect St-Valentine's weekend retreat for me and my girlfriend. My intuition proved correct. Having stayed in numerous Montreal hotels, I can safely state that Hotel Nelligan is the most beautiful and service oriented boutique hotel in the city. We had booked a King Loft Suite which offered the perfect romantic setting for the weekend with it's natural brick exposed walls and fireplace. The room also included an incredible bathroom with a huge glass enclosed shower, separate two person jacuzzi tub and more...absolutely awesome! Outside our room was a view towards the St-Lawrence river and down below the footsteps of horse drawn carriages on the cobblestoned streets of Old Montreal. Only equal to the beauty of the hotel is the quality of the service. The concierge arranged hard to obtain reservations at Au Pied de Cochon on Friday night, an award winning very popular bistro offering regional dishes with an inspired twist and at AIX Cuisine on Saturday, voted one of Canada's top new restaurants located at the Hotel Place D'Armes, owned by the same owners of Hotel Nelligan. Furthermore, wine and cheeses were served in the very fashionable lobby of the hotel every evening, as well as a complimentary deliciously varied breakfast served in the Atrium in the mornings. We were also impressed with the attention to detail from the staff who left a gift and hand written card in our room upon returning from dinner the first evening thanking us for our return stay at the hotel and the hotel manager who arranged for private transportation to downtown shopping when we asked for directions to the city centre.
All to say that after our second stay at Hotel Nelligan I can without a doubt say that they help in achieving poetry perfect romance.

Wake me when it's spring!

by TripAdvisor Member lmesp

Sleep like a bear at Hotel Nelligan. You will never want to leave this room once you spend a night in this hotel. Some say there is no better sleep than in your own bed. But they haven't slept at Hotel Nelligan. You will be so snug and warm under a down comforter with the softest sheets and blanket I have ever felt in a hotel. I recommend going when there is a chill in the air so you can turn the fireplace on and get under the covers with your loved one. I guarantee you will want to purchase the complete bed for your home.

There is no reason to leave this elegant room. The suite is furnished with a desk, Bose CD/Radio and fireplace. It looks and feels like home! The bath has a double jacuzzi with separate shower. So book a massage, order champagne and turn the fireplace on for a romantic weekend. Staying in never felt so good.

But if you must venture outside of this stylish hotel you are in a great location. Old world charm surrounds the hotel. You are in walking distance to the Notre-Dame Basilica, Old Port of Montreal and the historical area. And don't forget the shopping! The hotel puts an updated weather card in your room so you will never be caught without your umbrella.

When you arrive back at the hotel you are greeted with a complimentary wine and cheese cocktail. Enjoy a dinner at Verses, the hotel restaurant, where even the locals come for great French cuisine. Upon going back to your room you will notice that the blinds have been shut, soft music is playing, the fireplace is on, the lights are dim and a mint is on your pillow.

Good Night!

Outstanding

I surprized my wife with a trip to Montreal for her 30th birthday last weekend and the Hotel Nelligan was great. First of all it's a beautiful building with tons of charm. The rooms are spectacular -- large, cozy, exposed brick, fire place, best bed I've slept in. If you can be warm and hip at the same time, this place does it. The bar is lively and the restuarant is also very good. The staff was great... especially Lisa at the front desk. She's the definition of great service. She recommended great restuarants and helped us navigate the city. Francis drives the shuttle and has good ideas about things to do also. The location is good too... It's in Old Montreal .. right on the river - lots of shops, pubs and things to see. It's a short cab ride or a nice twenty minute walk to the main part of town.

The only nick is the fitness room. The treadmills are totally shot. But even there they have complimentary bottles of water and fresh fruit. If you're going to Montreal .. . skip the big hotels and stay here. I was considering the Ritz, checked it when we were there and was so glad about our choice.

Montreal - hotel question: Downtown or VIeux Montreal?

by darcy24

Coming to Montreal as a first time visitor for 3 nights the end of May (over Victoria Day weekend - Sat morning until Tues morning).

Would appreciate input whether to stay downtown - Sofitel or Vieux Montreal - Hotel Nelligan.

Looking for a nice place to stay, as well as close for walking to restaurants, etc.

thank you!

Re: Montreal - hotel question: Downtown or VIeux Montreal?

by mtlman

Nelligan would absolutely be a great choice. It is a boutique hotel located in the very heart of Old Montreal and near wonderful places for dining. This area is really beautiful and you will enjoy it a lot if you like old world architecture and history.

Sofitel is great too and is located downtown on sherbrooke st. West. It is only three blocks from the magestic Montreal Museum of fine arts and near a lot of great restaurants as well. Crescent st. is not far from there for great nightlife.

Enjoy your stay

Re: Re: Montreal - hotel question: Downtown or VIeux Montreal?

by darcy24

thanks for your prompt response! Either area better for a tourist - things to see, transportation, etc.

also, do you know anything about the King Loft rooms at Nelligan or deluxe rooms at sofitel?

would more things be closed downtown because of victoria day? therefore stay in old montreal?

sorry for all the dumb questions, but as you can tell, hard decision to make!

Re: Montreal - hotel question: Downtown or VIeux Montreal?

by deptlads

Hi!

When we were in Montreal last November we stayed at the St Sulpice which is very close to the Nelligan. It is a really nice and interesting area, and the street that the Nelligan is on is full of excellent restaurants. The Nelligan itself looked very nice from the outside - like virtually everything in that area, it is a converted 19th century commercial building. It is excellently located for exploring Vieux Montreal, and is not that far from the metro (10 minute walk at most).

If you can find a good rate, I would certainly go for any of those new boutique hotels in Vieux Montreal (eg. St Paul, Nelligan, Place d'Armes, Auberge du Vieux-Port, Le Saint Sulpice etc.) They all look really nice.

Enjoy your trip.

Andrew

Re: Re: Montreal - hotel question: Downtown or VIeux Montreal?

by mtlman

Concerning the type of room your asking for, the only thing I know is that they are probably very expensive.

Virtualy everything will be opened on Victoria day. Great places to see and visit would be Old Montreal streets and squares, Old port promenade, Montreal museum of fine arts, rue crescent, Quartier latin and Plateau Mont-royal(especially for good and hip restaurants)Basilique Notre-dame is a wonderful and huge church located at Place d'armes in Old Montreal and is very popular with tourists.

Comments