Studio Montreal

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Montreal

The BandThe Band

Grand piano DJ booth at MuziqueGrand piano DJ booth at Muzique

One of the many bridgesOne of the many bridges

MontrealMontreal

Visit Montreal this weekend

Hello!
I'm going to Montreal this weekend.
I looked some websites and I found there is a visitor 3 day pass for $17, could you let me know how I can by the pass? Could you also suggest me what's the best way to get to city from airport?
Thank you very much.

by GrumpyDiver

Transportaton from Trudeau Airport to downtown.

Check the link for Ground Transportation. City bus would take a while but is the least expensive option, taxi ride would be fastest and the airport bus would be somewhere in the middle. I haven't taken a taxi from the airport to downtown in years, but the airport is close to Autoroute 20, so the ride to downtown is better than many cities - I would guess $40 CDN one way, but might be way off.

The Visitor's pass looks like it's for bus / subway. I checked the STM site and it gives the subway stations where you can buy one:

by enzhu

Thanks a lot, GrumpyDiver.

by alza

GrumpyDiver is correct: taxi Pierre Elliott-Trudeau Airport (Dorval) to downtown Montreal is flat rate CDN$38, number of baggage does not matter.
Heart of downtown is seen as the Queen Elizabeth Hotel, Central Station (trains) is underneath. I just checked with cab stand at the corner.
I live in Town of Mount Royal (closer to airport than downtown) & pay CDN$26 or so, but then meter is on + I tip according to pieces of baggage.

The shuttle bus is l'Aérobus, CDN$16. Return ticket even cheaper. Leaves every half-hour or so from Airport to centre-town, stops at various hotels there, terminus (end of line) is Station Centrale d'Autobus (Central Bus Station) at Berri-UQAM Metro Stop. Remember those last names, very much the heart of Montreal. I would recommend this, though I never take it myself... when I land somewhere, get me in town no fiddling around ten other hotels... anyway I love cabs.

Local bus to/from Airport is the pits. Don't take it hoping to see locals, I think it's a bus for Martians. BUT if you take city buses during your weekend, buy 6 tickets for @ $12 & save, keep them for transfers etc fm bus to metro or reverse. Don't ask the ticket vendor behind his bullitt-proof glass if he speaks Ingelish... he'll scream or he'll wave you through for free to avoid having to say anything in "Ingelishe..." (well, that's a bargain... be brave, go ahead and ask the guy!! haha)

Enjoy your weekend and send out a message if you need any help.

by enzhu

Thank you very much alza.

Travel Tips for Montreal

Eating Fresh Bagels

by wahine76

One thing I cant live without is my bagel every morning! And I can tell you Montreal bagels are the best in the world. They really dont taste or look like the fat tasteless New York bagels! :) Our bagels are thin, sweet and really tender inside.

The best places to get fresh bagels are St-Viateur Bagels (263 St. Viateur) and Fairmount Bagels (74 Fairmount West).

The best way to reach the St-Viateur Bagel bakery or the Fairmount Bagel bakery if you are driving from downtown Montréal is to take Avenue du Parc going North until you reach Fairmount and then make a right turn until you arrive at your destination.

St-Viateur is a few blocks after Fairmount and again you would turn right and you will find the bakery on your left-hand side. If you travel via the bus, take the 80 bus going north and either get off at Fairmount or St. Viateur.

Go Downtown and to the Old...

by Adii

Go Downtown and to the Old Port of Montreal. Some streets you should not miss are Ste-Catherine, St-Denis and St-Laurent... were all happens. When I can't go Downtown and relax sitting on a street bench looking at people.

Montreal Tip

by marzy

The town is always full of life. I last visited in the dead of winter and the city was still full of energy. There is something for everyone. Montreal has a wonderful fashion district and St. Catherine street is known for its shopping. You can take in a hockey game at the molson centre or a baseball game at the olympic stadium. You can visit museums or relax in old montreal with a hot cup of coffee. The city is truly unique and an experience in and of itself.

Prince-Arthur street

by Pierre_Rouss

Prince-Arthur street
This beautiful pedestrian area located between St-Laurent and the Carré St-Louis (bordering St-Denis street) host restaurants (a lot of them Greek, with terraces and bring your own wine), bars and dance clubs, street vendors.

Underground City

by Dabs

I read a lot about the Underground City in Montreal, something that my hometown of Chicago has tried with very limited success with it's Pedway but in Montreal it seems to be thriving. We actually saw very little of the Underground City since we visited in July and had no desire to go indoors but the guidebooks say that there are 19 miles of underground pedestrian walkways, that mostly run parallel to metro lines, that link metro stations, hotels, restaurants, boutiques, office buildings, movie theaters, two universities, I can imagine that some Montreal residents don't even need to go outside during the winter!

What we did see that I thought was a really cool idea was at the World Trade Center in Old Montreal which has a glass covered concourse, the glass ceiling linking two rows of historic buildings along with the Hotel Intercontinental, it also connects to the Underground City. You can also see a piece of the Berlin Wall here. Located at 747 Victoria Square

You can find a map of the Underground City here