Travelodge Montreal Centre

Poor Value

Rated Lower than similar hotels

See Hotels with Better Ratings

HORRIBLE - NEVER AGAIN

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 23, 2015

Stayed at Travel Lodge in Montreal
Address: 50 Boul Rene Levesque Ouest.

I regret to say that we are extremely disappointed and upset with my stay here.
We are appalled about not only how we were treated, but also the conditions & amenities at this location are something Travel Lodge should be embarrassed to be associated with.

My Fiance and I planned a romantic 2 night get away from February 13th – February 15th, 2015. We had booked this reservation on January 7th, approximately 5 weeks before our actual trip. We booked early so that we were guaranteed a decent, comfortable, good valued hotel to stay in the location we were looking for. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

PROFESSIONAL AND UNORGANIZED SERVICE:

On the Day we were expected to arrive to Montreal, we received a phone call advising us that there was a ‘glitch’ in the system at Travel Lodge and that our room we booked (queen suite) was no longer available. They advised us that they could DOWN GRADE us into a smaller, double bed room. The person at the front desk mentioned that it would be at a cheaper rate. They were not able to upgrade us, since we originally booked their ‘best room’. Needless to say, they were not doing us any favors since we knew that this is in fact a cheaper room anyways. This is not what we wanted, as this was supposed to be a romantic get away. We booked a room with a tub in the washroom, a mini kitchenette and a queen-sized comfortable bed. Despite our serious disappointment and pleads to work out another arrangement, the staff at travel lodge were not discounting us or doing anything to accommodate us for the inconvenience. We were frustrated and upset, as we had booked this room well in advance to avoid any issues on the day of arrival. In fact, it wasn't until I got extremely upset and demanded that something be done did they gave us an additional $10/night off the room. In my opinion this was still very unsatisfactory, however, this was all happening hours before our arrival and felt as if we had very little options. It was Valentines Day weekend, and all other hotels in that area had booked quickly.

I would also like to mentioned that because of this last minute phone call regarding our booking, we were unable to leave at our scheduled time. Driving to Montreal from Toronto is already a long 6 hour drive and because of this delay we were caught in a lot of traffic which extended our travel time by 3 hours forcing us to arrive at the hotel in the very late evening. This domino effected into us cancelling dinner reservations at a beautiful Montreal Restaurant, and in a way wasting an evening of what we thought was a well thought out weekend. We hadn't even arrived at the hotel and we were already facing the negative effects of a booking mistake on Their end….. very Unprofessional.

Our problems with Travel Lodge did not stop there.

As soon as we arrived at the hotel, I ran inside to check in and to receive a parking pass (which is advertised as ‘free’ on multiple websites). Upon checking in, the gentlemen at the front desk quickly and slyly mentioned a fee for parking. I advised him that we were not paying for parking since it is advertised everywhere that we would not have to pay. He did make a "note" of this, and as far as I know we were not charged - we will be paying special attention to the bill this month. To be honest, we are lucky that I was paying attention to this, if I hadn't he would have happily charged us….God knows how many other guests they squeeze that parking fee from. He also advised us that if we had not shown up, we would have been charged the $100 security fee. I felt that was a little contradictory and ironic, especially seeing we had to fight tooth and nail to get a measly $20 when TRAVEL LODGE CANCELLED OUR RESERVATIONS.

HORRIBLE ROOMS
When we got to our room, the door did not work. My fiancee literally had to force the door open every time we needed to get in or out. I’m taking rescue mission shoulder slam the door open kind of force….. and since there were "no rooms left" we were forced to make due with what we got.

The room was extremely small; we had very little moving room to get our things organized.
The bed itself was rock hard and not very comfortable at all. The pillows were obviously cheap and the blankets, well….. No. Normally I look forward to staying at a hotel because of the comfortable good nights of sleep, however my fiancee and I were NOT looking forward to going back into the room, we knew this bed and the conditions would have resulted in sleepless nights.
Also, the washroom was sad, the door pretty much hit the edge of the bed, sitting on the toilet may have involved hitting your knees against the wall, the stand up shower was tiny and it was extremely difficult to work the hot/cold temperature controls and to top it all off there was FOOD left on our window sill from who knows when. I should probably mention that there was a floor heater in the bathroom and we were unable to control it, we only noticed because it was cranked to the highest setting.

BAD BREAKFAST
Come the next morning, after a horrible sleep, we needed coffee and decided to see what the ‘complimentary’ breakfast was about. We made our way to the restaurant and not to our surprise; it left a bad taste in our mouths.

Despite this horrible review, I’m not picky. I just simple want what I order, in any department. Food seems to be a bit more challenging since I have dietary restrictions and am unable to eat Gluten or Dairy products. Upon booking our initial reservation, we were under the impression that the breakfast would be a hot breakfast with a few options (I should probably mentioned that I called in to inquire since from experience it is much easier for me to be accommodated when a hotel offers hot breakfast.) However, when we got there I noticed I was unable to eat anything other then the orange slices and the coffee. We had asked the waiter if there was anything they can do to accommodate me, and the response was “I can pay to get eggs"!! At this point, I was so disappointed; we refused to give Travel Lodge any more money. We got dressed and purchased breakfast from a near by restaurant.

The Travel Lodge at this location is marked at a 3.5 star rating, which should at minimum be a comfortable, clean stay at a good valued price however, this hotel in actuality should be rated at no more than a 1.5 star….. The quality of this Travel Lodge location is no better then a “side of the road Inn”.

My Fiancee and I love Montreal; we make an effort to visit this city a couple times a year. We also travel to other places frequently. I can say honestly and truly, although this was not the first time we have stayed at a Travel Lodge, this will definitely be our last.

We did not appreciate being made felt like a “nobody” guest by being downgraded into a tiny room with a broken door, and a horrible washroom, with left over food on the window (uggghk!) This was the polar opposite from the room we originally booked. We did not appreciate being felt like "idiot tourists" with the front desk clerk trying to slide a quick one by me with the parking fee or the lack of knowledge of the area – he told us bars and clubs close at midnight on a Friday night….anyone who knows montreal knows this isn’t true. And we certainly did not appreciate being made felt as if we couldn't be accommodated with my dietary restrictions; it’s hard enough managing things as is. Our experiences with Travel Lodge on Valentines weekend was nothing short of deflating and frustrating.
We went into the city for a beautiful romantic weekend, we booked this advance to make sure it all worked out as planned, although we made the best of a horrible situation, no thanks to Travel Lodge, our weekend stay was disappointing to say the least. I regret not taking photos to prove it.

To top this all off, I emailed Travel Lodge to see what’s going on, and I have received no response. Not even a simple apology to acknowledge or rectify the negative experience.

Do yourselves a favor….. Stay away. There are plenty of other comparable hotels that will appreciate and respect your business.

hypnos's Profile Photo

The smallest room

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 10, 2005

-No friendly personel
-Take long time to check in and out.
-No big rooms
-Before you make coffee, check that the coffeemachine is clear (where you put the water)
There can be coffee stuff in it. (we had it)

Nearby Travelodge Montreal Centre

• Pets Allowed
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Montreal Travel Forum

Need advice about Montreal, Canada? Visit the Travel Forum for Montreal and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Montreal hotel reviews

Hotel Xixe Siecle
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Hotel Intercontinental Montreal
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews
CLOSED Holiday Inn - Montreal (Midtown)
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews