71 Hotel Cafe

71 Saint-Pierre street, (Formerly "Hotel 71"), Quebec City, Quebec, G1K4A4, Canada

Hotel 71
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• tvor's Profile Photo

Modern hotel in a historic building

The name of the hotel is actually just Hotel 71. The hotel has a later check in than many, 4 p.m. It's located in the heart of the historic old city, close to the old port and the quaint shops below the walls of the Citadel and Chateau Frontenac. It's right across the street from the Museum of Civilization.

The room we had was on the top floor with an excellent view of the chateau. The ceilings were very high but possibly only because it was the top floor. The floors were hard wood with rugs. The bed a platform one with a comfy mattress. The bathroom was nice and modern with a shower area on one end of it, glassed off rather than one of those little shower stalls many have. Lovely toiletries included and a hair dryer handy. The room has a large flat screen tv and a good sized desk. There's a safe in the closet and an ironing board as well.

We got a special sale rate through Travelzoo and they do some special packages as well. It's not a cheap hotel but it won't break the bank either.

Unique Quality: There is free wi-fi in the hotel though we had a very weak signal a lot of the time. There is a spa in the hotel as well as one of the city's best Italian restaurants.

We needed to stay an extra night and it was accomodated wiht efficiency. The staff on the desk and the cleaner on our floor were very nice. DVD player in the room and i believe they will rent or lend you movies at the front desk. There is room service though it seems to be from the Italian restaurant, didn't see any menus for things like breakfast or snacks. Possibly there was, if you called but we didn't use the service.

There's a "Nespresso" machine in the room but no kettle or accomodation for tea. I guess that's French :) There was also a full sized umbrella in the closet for your use.

More about 71 Hotel Cafe

Loved the 71!

by TripAdvisor Member Cathy-7

We stayed for the week-end and loved the hotel which has a european-lounge concept. The staff is young, very attentive and attractive too!
We occupied a suite which had the nicest view over the river as well as the old Québec. Well appointed contemporary bathroom and very comfortable bed! My husband used the gym and was pleased with the equipment and look of the room. Hip hotel if you are visiting the charming old city!

For the Modernists/Minimulists

by TripAdvisor Member leapoffaith2778

My boyfriend and I stayed at hotel 71 the last weekend of the Winter Carnival in Quebec. The staff was wonderful, very polite. The rooms were beautiful. I would recommend this hotel to everyone who appreciates Comtemporary/Modern Design. We will def be back.

Seems lovely, but no doubles

by TripAdvisor Member hbpr

The Hotel 71 seemed lovely, but I feel compelled to note something that nobody else seems to have noticed - this hotel does not include any rooms with two beds. It had been recommended by prior reviews as a good place to stay for a "girls weekend," and I have to disagree with that opinion.

A friend and I headed up for a quick weekend trip to get out of town and were surprised to find that there were no double rooms at the 71. However, the staff of the hotel couldn't have been nicer and they booked us a room at the L'Auberge St. Pierre, which is right next door, without any problems.

I have no doubt Hotel 71 a wonderful place to stay, but I was surprised by the lack of double rooms.

Gorgeous staff, gorgeous accomodations in a romantic old town

by TripAdvisor Member MCGRU

Never having been to Quebec City, I stayed here on business for one night. I was duly impressed.

In a former National Bank of Canada building, Hotel 71 is centrally situated within walking distance of major Quebec Attractions, and to the ferry. Lots of restaurants w/in walking distance.

The decor is minimalist, modern, but richly appointed. Each area, the breakfast area, lounge areas, etc. are all so comfortable and welcoming. There is a free cocktail offered to guests, and continental breakfasts are included; a great display of granolas, yogurt, pastries and the most amazing cafe latte!

I had a queen bed for $143/night CAD, and the bedroom was gorgeous. comfortable bed, down pillows, an open shower with the best rainfall-like shower head made for this to be one of the most luxurious stays I've had in Canada.

Staff was incredibly helpful; the recommendations from the desk staff on restaurants (try the escargot w/ camembert from Pizzette), even to the extent of going to pickup some takeout for me was above my expectations.

I didn't want to leave, wish I had longer, and will definitely be back when the weather warms up!

A Wonderful Experience

by TripAdvisor Member pecs

I recently returned from a stay at Le 71 Hotel Cafe and have nothing but good things to say about it. It was one of the most pleasant hotel stays I have ever had.

I had planned a surprise trip for the morning after I was going to propose to my now fiancée. I called and spoke with Francine at the front desk who explained the different rooms they had available and the features and views each one had. She even informed me that I could bring some romantic CDs since each room has a CD player. Due to an airline cancellation we did not arrive until 9 pm the day of our scheduled arrival. We were warmly greeted and shown to our room, which was just as it had been described and matched the pictures on the web site. Since we were hungry, we were given excellent recommendations for a restaurant nearby where we had a delicious meal. Each night we asked for and received a different recommendation and each of them we enjoyed. They also took care to steer us clear of the tourist traps.

The rooms are very modern in decor and the high ceiling in our room made it seem extra spacious. The view of the river was gorgeous, the bathroom spectacular, and the sound system where you could control the music that was piped into the room is a great feature that we really enjoyed.

The free breakfast each morning was delicious and very satisfying.

We had rented a car and for $16 / day they offer valet parking with unlimited in /out privileges.

Every single person who worked in the hotel was extremely friendly and seemed to take a personal interest in our comfort and in making sure we were enjoying our stay. I would recommend the hotel highly and would go back again in a second.

great location and a great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Bluetax

first impressions are always important......and the hotel was easy to find, pulled up outside, the door to this grand former bank building was immiediately opened and then we were greeted by two exceptionally helpful and friendly reception staff.........and throughout our stay in this wonderful hotel all the staff could do was to be helpful, helpful, helpful. well done to the management team that can keep a team this well motivated!!

the room was great too - we were on the 5th floor with a view of the river. large bed, trendy furnishings, great sound system - take cd's/ dvd's if you plan staying in.

the location was great and everything is in walking distance.

others had recommended this hotel and they were RIGHT!!!

Amazing Anniversary Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member some1inmontreal

Our stay at Hotel 71 was amazing from start to finish. I surprised my boyfriend with a weekend getaway to Quebec City for our anniversary and mentioned this when booking the room. When we arrived, there was a card wishing us a happy anniversary and a plate of chocolates. The view from our room was breathtaking. The Chateau Frontenac, St-Lawrence river and all of Old Quebec. Needless to say, we were pleasantly surprised. The room was soo big and spacious and the decor was very modern. Small touches throughout our stay will make this very memorable. Given we were at Hotel 71 for Easter, they actually placed chocolate Easter eggs in front of our door! It was such a personal touch. The service was fabulous, always offering help when asked. The breakfast was a great way to start the day. This was by far the nicest hotel I have stayed at and I will definately be going back soon.

Amazing - highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member BodogMA

This hotel is incredible, and made for a great weekend getaway. It has a lot of character and great amenities. The rooms were classy, with a modern feel. Our bathroom had a huge shower with two shower heads, and the bed was quite comfortable. We also had an amazing view of the Chateu Frontenac from our window. Other rooms appeared to have a view of the river.

A nice continental breakfast was included each morning, including bread and pastries, a selection of cheeses, yogurt, cereal, and juices. In addition, a large selection of coffees were available from the cafe at no extra cost. They also give you a complimentary welcome drink when you check in, which you can redeem at the hotel bar for a beer or glass of wine during your stay.

Each room has a DVD player, and there is a selection of recent DVD movies available at the front desk, for a $5 rental. A few minutes after picking up the movie at the front desk, they delivered a basket of popcorn to the room!

The location of the hotel is great, on a quaint and quiet street in the Old Port section. After walking around the whole city, we felt that this area is the best to stay in. It was convenient to everything, had a lot of character with nearby cafes and restaurants, but was slightly away from the more touristy areas of the upper town.

Overall, a great experience that exceed expectations.

Absolutely horrible

by TripAdvisor Member KakalinaOlney_MD

This hotel was horrible, if we could have cancelled and moved across the street to the Saint Antoine we would have done so immediately. We travel extensively, and always stay in modern/boutique type hotels. This is honestly the first time we've had a bad experience, completely due to hotel design and complete lack of service.

The hotel design is very sterile, and not friendly or comfortable. Many things like horrible bathroom lighting, poor room layout, no bathtubs, add up to a very unpleasant experience although it may look nice.

The service was non-existent. We had to request multiple times to have our luggage brought up, and eventually had to go get it ourselves. When we did, we were told they were just too busy to help us. Requests for information went ignored, until we gave up asking.

Do not stay here, it was a horrible experience.

Le 71 Hotel Cafe is perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member dpierce5

I wonder if the previous reviewer stayed at the same hotel we are staying at! Every single staff member has been nothing but attentive, helpful and pleasant. We have not had to wait for any request to be fulfilled. Our room has a lovely view of the St. Lawrence, amazing surround-sound music, wonderful bathroom with great shower (two shower heads), bathtub, etc. I heartily recommend a stay at this hotel!!

A very happy traveler from Tucson, Arizona