Auberge Harris

576, rue Champlain, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, , Quebec, J3B6X1, Canada

More about Quebec

Not PhotoshoppedNot Photoshopped

One of the old city gatesOne of the old city gates

The Parliament BuildingThe Parliament Building

Hotel de Glace, QCHotel de Glace, QC

During 12/26/2008 - 01/02/2009

by dl3424

We will be in Quebec from December 26, 2008 – January 2, 2009. We would be interested in attending an evening concert, show, play, event, etc. I have not been able to find any events so far. Do you know of any that you can make me aware of? Also, what might be a fun thing to do New Year’s Eve (not into clubs or drinking, however)? Many thanks!

Re: During 12/26/2008 - 01/02/2009

by Jefie

Hi! The city is currently working on a special outdoor event for December 31st to close our 400th anniversary celebrations, but we still don't know what and where it's going to be exactly. You might want to check the following Website from time to time (http://monquebec2008.sympatico.msn.ca/MonQuebec2008/) for details.

Re: During 12/26/2008 - 01/02/2009

by LeDragon

For shows, you may find there : http://www.billetech.com/html/billetech.htmI?l=EN

Travel Tips for Quebec

Don't cry for me Quebec

by El_Cookie

Quebec is one of the best and most beautiful cities I've traveld to. I have to give props to the French-Canadians, especially the women. Apart from being beautiful they were very friendly. Quebec is also one of the safest cities I've traveled to. Everyone has to visit this city at one point in your life....you won't regret it. Anyone agree?

Mom and Dad in Québec City, our home

by alza

My parents just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversay and we went to our home town of Québec City for the occasion.

A friend of mine offered us her home to stay in while we were there. It was better than a hotel room, my parents were happy to be like lovebirds on honeymoon but with a stove and fridge... what can I say? with time, you like those lil conveniences.

They're glad to hear about my trip to China and my brother's trip to New Zealand, but they prefer having a microwave in their condo in Québec City. I drove them to their friends' places and picked them up when they were ready to rest before another day of folly. We're half dead from all the fun but it was worth it.

My parents are really great. Here they are sitting on the steps of our condo in Québec City, by the St.Lawrence. They haven't seen me yet... must be wondering "Where's lou? Are we locked out of this condo? Where are we going next?" -- don't worry Mom and Dad, just on the way to another party...

god, it's nice to be home, quiet... haha. Can you imagine being married 60 years? :-)
I asked my Mom how it felt, as we drove to Québec City... she said "For me, better than ever, but ask your Dad" as she always did, forgetting herself. :-)
I asked Dad. "Hey Dad, is it boring to be married 60 years, do you want out?" and he said "Ha! it's better than ever you know... your Mom and I don't even argue anymore. Everything's fine and dandy! Your Mom's the best gal I ever knew, I'm such a lucky guy."

He sure is. They are great.

Rue Champlain, on the St.Lawrence River, Old Québec City.

The World's Largest Winter Celebration

by johngayton

Canadian winters are long and cold and so most cities have some sort of mid-winter celebration - celebrating the turning point rather than the mid-winter! Quebec's Carnaval claims to be the World's largest and certainly looks like fun.

The event kicks off on either the last Friday of January or the first Friday of February and runs until the middle of February, taking in three weekends. There are shows and parades, cultural events, participatory and spectator sports, the International Snow Sculpture competition and lots of fun things for all the family. An outdoor winter amusement park takes place on the Plains of Abraham and an Ice Palace built across from the Parliament.

Over the course of its 17 days the festival attracts over a million visitors and the bars and restaurants do a roaring trade, as do the hotels. So if considering a visit you need to book well in advance.

Unfortunately I've only visited the city the weekend before the carnival was due to start but seeing the preparations underway certainly served as an appetizer.

Poutine !

by Deus_ultima

THIS is our famous (our infamous) contribution to world cuisine!
POUTINE!
The 'basic' recipe is nothing special,really..just french fries, cheese curds and special sauce.
There are TONS of variations, thougth!

Try Galvaude (poutine + chicken) or a Dulton (Poutine + ground beef. You can also add sausages!)

The best place to eat in in Quebec City is Ashton's.

Discover Quebec City on your bike!

by Jefie

One of the things I really like about Quebec City is that there are some very nice bicycle paths. In fact, the city has used some of the money it received for its 400th aniversary celebrations to build some beautiful paths that people will be able to enjoy for many years to come. My favorite one starts near the Quebec City bridges, runs along the St. Lawrence River to the old port area, and from there continues all the way up to the Montmorency Falls. It is also possible to make a short detour to bike along the St. Charles River or take the ferry across to Lévis - the bike path on the Lévis side also runs along the St. Lawrence River, with great views of Quebec City. And these are just a few of the paths you have access to from downtown Quebec City - to see more, you can dowload a map at http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/fr/ma_ville/velo.shtml If you'd like to rent a bike, you may do so at Cyclo Services (see information below).

Comments