Best Western City Centre

BEST WESTERN PLUS City Centre/Centre-Ville
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Centre Ville IS In The Town Centre!

It is quite often the case that hotels promote themselves as being things they are not. For instance the airport hotel which turns out to be miles away, the business hotel whose internet connection is non-existent and etc. This hotel, however, is exactly as advertised - mid-market price, good facilities, comfortable and spacious rooms, excellent standard of housekeeping and perfect downtown location. There is nothing particularly characterful about this hotel but all the basics are spot-on.

The front desk is friendly and efficient (and multi-lingual) and gives you a quick courtesy-call soon after you get to your room to check that everything is OK. There is a concierge/valet desk to assist with luggage, car-parking, local info & etc. The hotel's stylish atrium restaurant offers a full range of meals and snacks at reasonable prices (which are also available as room-service) and a well-stocked coffee/tea maker is provided in-room. Other in-room facilities are the huge TV set with pay-movies, as well as normal TV, and the more useful iron and ironing-board (same-day laundry service is also available).

Business services include 24 hour fax and photo-copy service, hi-speed wi-fi throughout the building and a couple of computers in the lobby.

In addition to the basics there's an indoor swimming pool, hot tub and excercise room, the use of which are included in your room rates.

Unique Quality: As I've already said, there's nothing particularly charismatic about this hotel, just all the simple things done right. BUT! I do like the location! This end of Rue de la Couronne is a little mini-village with its local bars and restaurants and a couple of competing depanneurs (all good for keeping the prices down!). Just around the corner there are a couple of shopping streets with pretty much every type of shop required and because it's not the "vieux ville" everything is at reasonable prices - i.e. beer $4 per pinte at my local bar!!

Directions: Just off the University Square, on the corner of Couronne and Rue du Roi.

• lazyman_1's Profile Photo

Best Western

The Best Western was a great place to stay during our visit to Quebec. The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city centre, meaning most of the major tourist sites are within walking distance. The staff was very friendly and helped us out a lot suggesting places to eat not exactly on the tourist radar. Like any large hotel chain, the rooms was nice but nothing spectacular. What was spectacular though, was the bed! the king size bed in our room was the best nights sleep me and my wife had had in months!
    One suggestion though, i've stayed there twice now and each time i've been quoted a price over the phone, i asked them if thats the best rate they could give me. i guess sensing they might lose my reservation, each time they lowered the room rate by about $25 So make sure you ask. I have a feeling that staff has been instructed to lower the rates to those who don't like the first price

Unique Quality: Underground parking although at an additional cost seperate from the room rate as the parking lot is not owned by the hotel. There is a pool and hot tub available to guests as well.

• Quebec Hotel

Stayed in Sept 2006 for 4 nights. The hotel is of average quality. Rooms were clean and the staff was helpfull and all spoke English. Parking was tricky in the garage next door. Very narrow isles with blind rows that you have to back up if you do not find a spot. Location is OK. Several restaurants in the area, but Old Quebec is a bit of a hike. Better to drive or take a bus. For breakfast go to either Cora Jardin St-Roch by the park on Blvd Charest or Les Bossus on St Joseph. We had an excellent dinner at Le Refectoire on 373 St Paul. Overall the hotel was a good value for the price we paid.

Directions: Two blocks north of Blvd Charest Est and 3-4 blocks East of Hwy 440; very easy access to 440.

• Nice Hotel, Good Location, Great Price

The Hotel is nice, it has a good ambience with an elegant restaurant and nice swimming pool within. The rooms are big, and come with air conditioning, and television. It sits on top of a parking garage, and is only about a ten minute walk from Old Quebec. I was able to get a room at the hotel for about $45 a night through Priceline; for that price, I couldn't of asked for anything better.

More about Best Western City Centre

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Hard2Impress

We stayed here back in 2003 and i really enjoyed it.... It was very clean. The shower was marble and it was clean....
The food in the hotel was very scrumtious! We ate a five course meal for dinner and i loved it!!!!
A lot of people complained that it wasn't near the Old City, but i really didn't mind that.... It sort of gave you the chance to see how the people in the city really live rather than staying in a 'touristy' part of town.... A nice amn at subway offered to give us tickets to go see there junior baseball team play! It was a nice place, and the people were the most POLITE people EVER!!!
Loved it!!!!

Large room, clean but dark

by TripAdvisor Member chuftyboy

The room was a great size for 2 adults and 2 children but was overlooking an internal atrium and hence a bit dark. The decor was dark and dated, same with the bathroom.
The location was OK but not in the city centre as described. It was an uphill 20 minute walk to the old town which was well worth it as this is quite a spectacular city.
There are however some nice bars, restaurants and cafes in the area between the hotel and the hill.
The staff were very helpful and friendly.

Overall, a good experience

by TripAdvisor Member Scion

Two friends and I just returned from a stay at the Best Western Centre-Ville. Overall, it was a positive experience.

The hotel is in a real urban setting, with shops and restaurants all around. We recommend Downtown and Le Postino restaurants, facing each other on St. Joseph Street. There are antiques shops, a food market, and a wonderful bakery with artisan breads and pastries on the same street.

I have only two negatives to report. We were told to park in the municipal garage connected underground to the hotel. On the third day, however, we received a call telling us to remove our car since the city had condemned the garage and closed it. Indeed, there was bracing and yellow police tape all over the place. We had to park on the street, meaning a few blocks' walk, but to the management's credit, they had arranged with the city to allow parking for cars with the hotel's business card on the dashboard. And we saved the $9 a day parking fee!

The second unsatisfactory thing was the Internet access. This consisted of a computer on a desk on a platform, all facing the front desk and the people passing. A sign-up sheet was provided (to get to it you had to stand right beside anyone using the computer and sign up), and you could sign up in half-hour intervals. Morning and evening hours filled up immediately. Additional computers in a private setting would be a real improvement.

All in all, the hotel staff was accommodating and helpful.

Oh, one more thing. The walk to the Old City is just too long and too hilly for most older visitors. We ended up driving and paying meters when we went into town. So unless you're up to this demanding walk three blocks to the bottom of the hill, and several more long blocks up and over the Parliament Hill to the St. Louis Gate, take a cab, bus, or take your car. This is probably the only reason I would think hard about staying in this hotel again, as opposed to one in the Old City.

Quebec City is an incredibly important historic asset for North America. If you have not been there, you must go!

Good Location and friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Colin_Sarnia

I recently spent 3 nights at the Best Western City Centre in Quebec City. We were in the city for the last weekend of the Winter Carnival, and most places were booked solid for what we needed (party of 4, so 2 beds in a room) when we booked here, a month in advance. Considering this is one of the busy times for Quebec City, the rate we payed was reasonable for 4 people.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we went straight to check-in and had no issues getting 4 room keys. Service was very friendly and helpful, and their English is very good. After getting the room number, I went back and gave the keys to the Valet, their only form of parking available. The streets are tiny with little room to get around, so I can understand this, and I'm glad I didn't need to find a spot to park. Parking cost $18/day, and is not included.

The room itself was on the 6th floor, the top floor. It was quite spacious, with 2 queen beds and a decent sized bathroom. We were very pleased with the room, it was in good shape and for 4 people, we never felt cramped. Service for changing the towels and cleaning the room/beds was as good as expected.

Other things of note: There are free newspapers on each floor, the Globe and Mail and a Quebec newspaper. These were delivered each morning, except Sunday morning it seemed. There is a pool and workout gym as well, though none of us tried either. The gym had a treadmill, eliptical, bike, and some weights. There was a public computer in the lobby which you could use for free to check your email, weather, etc. We found this handy to check the weather conditions for the drive home, and just looking things up in the nearby area.

Surrounding Area: There are many smaller restaurants and eateries in the surrounding area, with lots to choose from in a 10 minute walk. The area isn't the most upscale, and pales compared to the Old City / Parliament area, but it was decent. We had a good breakfast in the cafe at the base of Hotel PUR, and prices were reasonable.

Accessing the Old Quebec & The Winter Carnival: This was the main reason we were in Quebec. There is a ~20 minute walk to get up the hill to near Parliament, and probably ~25-30 minutes total (5 minutes from Parliament) to get to the main grounds of the Carnival on the Plains of Abraham. The sidewalks aren't too steep to walk, but can be a bit slick with snow and ice. The other problem is, Saturday was a *very* cold day (-20C and below), on that day the hotel seemed quite far away and people may want to cab it up or down. The weather certainly isn't the Hotel's fault, but the distance does become a factor at that point. Sunday was far warmer, and we rather enjoyed the morning and evening walk to start and end our day. So, the distance will only be a factor if the weather turns poor.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel if you are looking to save a bit of money on a hotel room while visiting Quebec. The location is pretty good, but not as good as hotels up the hill and in Old Quebec. As long as you are mobile and the weather cooperates, the walk is more than managable and the hotel will serve most people quite well I imagine.

Decent 3* in downtown Quebec City

I stayed 3 nights at the Best Western Centre-Ville from April 19-22, 2008. The hotel is located in a not-so-lovely part of downtown Quebec City, across from a bus terminal, and about 20 minutes walk from the walled city. Parking at the hotel is by valet only and costs $18 per day. However, this is not really necessary if you trust your vehicle on the street. On the many small streets near the hotel there is free 1-hour parking from 9-5 Monday - Friday (Lundi - Mardi in French, in case you can't read the street signs), and the parking has no time limit during other times except when the streets are being cleared of snow.

I emailed the hotel in advance requesting a renovated king-size non-smoking room and received a very positive reply. I arrived late at night and was greeted by the bilingual staff. Unfortunately, there were no king rooms available for the duration of my stay, so I had to settle for a corner double room on the 5th floor. The front desk staff helped call a local restaurant for me to ensure they were still open for dinner, and then gave me a map and directions.

The room was a bit dated and the carpets slightly stained. The beds were a bit soft and there was only one end table in between the two beds. The street noise wasn't a great problem but on one night there were some people yelling outside past midnight. Inside the room, there was a large safe but surprisingly no fridge. The television was a decent size but had only a few English channels. Next to the telephone was a coffee maker, and there was also an ironing board and iron in the room. The bathroom, which was obviously recently renovated, had an above counter mounted sink and a new multi-spray hand shower. The towels were not very soft. Toiletries included Pantene Pro-V conditioning shampoo and lotion.

I didn't use any of the hotel's facilities or restaurant so can't comment on that. Newspapers available by the elevator included French and English-language papers.

In summary, this was an acceptable 3* hotel but not ideal for visiting old Quebec City, especially without a vehicle (I drove everywhere, so it wasn't an issue). If I had paid more than the $72 that it took to win the hotel on Priceline, I would have been unhappy, but as it stands I think it was a reasonable choice for my situation.

Comments