Clos Saint Louis

69 Rue St-Louis, Quebec City, Quebec, G1R 3Z2, Canada

Hotel Le Clos St-Louis
Travelocity Orbitz.com Booking.com

• Old Quebec City Best Hotel

My husband and I got married at the Clos St. Louis on December 15, 2005. We held our wedding there on the recommendation of a friend and we couldn't have been happier with our experience. The whole hotel is absolutely charming and much more spacious then we anticipated. We cannot say enough good things about the staff. We will always cherish our wedding stay at the Clos St. Louis and we are already planning a return trip.
    Le Clos Saint-Louis is a truly gem in Quebec and we highly recommend it. They have the most attention to detail for a wedding we could ever imagine. Thank you Mme. Donais for all you have done to make our stay and our wedding day special.

Unique Quality: Our room had the most comfortable queen size bed with fine linen; a beautiful desk; air conditioning; hair dryer; TV; whirlpool bath and many more amenities.

The hotel offers free warm or cold 'continental' breakfast, we had all our clothes cleaning and ironing taken care by the hotel. The bilingual staff was very helpful and friendly. The decor was amazing!

More about Clos Saint Louis

Location & Staff are great!

The Hotel is very charming and I loved the fact that although it is an older historic establishment, the bathrooms are very modern and elegant! The breakfast room was very quaint and the food was simple, but quite good. Yes, there are no elevators, so pack light or stay close to the bottom level. The hosts are extremely helpful and warm with great recommendations for restaurants. Being within the city walls is really key to experiencing the charm of Quebec and with the Frontnac just a few blocks down the street, everything is an easy walk! You will never need your car and horse-drawn carriages are everywhere! This area of the city is very clean, quaint, picturesque and a great vacation spot if you only have a few days to get away! Would love to return soon!

Magnificent from start to finish

From the moment we arrived we knew we were going to have a wonderful stay. The hotel is warm and welcoming and every detail is attended to. The Victorian furnishings of the foyer and parlor are glorious, a feast for the eyes and we could not believe that our surroundings were even more beautiful once we arrived in our suite. Soft sheets, fluffy towels, beautiful fabrics, no noise from other guests - perfect. Excellent customer service. We will return!

Very romantic!

Just spent a few days at Hotel Le Clos St-Louis.
I was looking for a romantic hotel to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. I found the hotel online and was amazed at the fact that the website had a photograph of each and every room and a brief description. I was able to select exactly what I wanted. When we arrived I thought I knew what to expect since I had already seen my room......but my wife and I were amazed at the feeling on luxury that you feel as soon as you open the front door. The photos do not do the hotel justice. The sitting room takes you back in time to a quieter more romantic lifestyle. Our room was beautiful.
We had originally wanted # 19 which was booked. We stayed in #20. We were not disappointed at all. Beautiful, large, and bright room with wood shutters to keep out the morning light.
The bed was so comfortable I slept like a baby. I ordered the flowers and chocolates which were on the small table at the end of the room. A large and beautiful silk flower arrangement in the corner added to a sense of luxury I can't describe. It looked like a design magazine photo spread, with me in the middle.
Paul was very helpful in selecting a choice of restaurants based on what kind of food and price range we were looking for. For those who do not speak french his english is perfect.
We had breakfast each morning downstairs. A simple but delicious breakfast with a choice of of eggs, ham, fresh fruit, muffins, the best banana bread!!!!, toast, croissants, cereal, juice and coffee.
My wife contacted Ghislaine the owner of the house to ask some questions and she kept referring to the Hotel as her "home". Thats how you feel when you stay there. Like you are at home..... a beautiful, romantic, welcoming, home.

An Overpriced Ripoff

by TripAdvisor Member markoboston

This place advertises itself as a luxury hotel. We thought that paying a little more than usual would get us comfort and extra service. We were wrong.

While we were out for the day, a broken pipe above our ceiling leaked, created a flood in our room, and soaked some of my belongings, including my passport. After a stressful evening trying to get a seat and then actually get served at a restaurant (a 4-hour process), this was not the comfortable, carefree reception we had hoped for. The concierge came and mopped it up, but while he did, he implied that leaky pipes were a frequent problem at the hotel, especially in winter.

However, we were there in late spring and wanted to open the window at night for fresh air. To our disbelief, the window screen had a huge hole, so we decided against opening the window after all, for fear of attracting mosquitoes.

When we checked out, we were surprised to see a $15 charge for parking per day. We had asked if the hotel had parking before making a reservation and assumed that the parking was complimentary because no one told us otherwise. Considering the $200+ per night room rates, the unannounced parking fee seemed extortionate, especially since the city garage a block away charges $10 per day.

We then requested a reduction in the $200+ room rate for the night of the flood. The receptionist said she would have to check with the owner. We had just seen the owner in the breakfast room, chatting comfortably in English with the English-speaking guests. When the owner arrived at the reception desk, she demanded "Parlez-vous francais?" I said, in French, "A little, but not very well." She proceeded to chew me out in French, saying that I really had no right to demand a reduction in the room rate. She dismissed us by saying that even though we had no right to ask, she would grant us a $5 reduction for that night, which still left us paying more than $200 for a flooded room with a hole in the window screen.

If you want poor service, excessive prices, and a bad attitude, this is the place for you.

Charming Hotel!

Prior to our trip I had spent a lot of time admiring the Hotel le Clos Saint-Louis via its marvelous website. My significant other had stayed there before and assured me it would be a wonderful place to stay, and he was right. It was gorgeous! We were warmly welcomed and even though our room was not quite ready (we arrived at noon), the staff helped stash our luggage and sent us to a lovely spot for lunch. When we returned our room was ready, and I was amazed at the overall beauty and elegance of the lobby and of our room. Our room was filled with fine antiques, high quality reproductions and a most comfortable four-poster canopy bed – and a thoroughly modern bathroom -- surely the best of all worlds! The hotel staff was very helpful in recommending places to dine and made reservations for us. The breakfast served every morning was lovely (don’t miss the banana bread). The hotel’s location could not be better: just a few blocks up the street from the Chateau Frontenac. The gracious and charming owner, Ghislaine Donais, treats her guests as family. When we return to Quebec City, we will stay at this hotel or change our dates to fit the hotel’s vacancies. It’s that good!! We highly recommend the Hotel le Clos Saint-Louis.

We LOVED it!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Fresca24

We had an amazing time at Le Clos St-Louis! I surprised my new husband for his birthday and did alot of research into this hotel before booking. It was his birthday present before we went on our honeymoon to Mexico. We both LOVED it! I was debating between a swanky chain hotel or this one and trip advisor kept bringing Le Clos up. I booked and am happy to say that we were not disappointed!!! We had the highest room on the highest floor....Room 25. Each room is different and unique. We loved our room. It was private, VERY clean and had its own unique appeal. We loved the quaintness of the hotel and the staff is very friendly and helpful. At breakfast one morning, the owner found out we were there celebrating a birthday and a few minutes later, she sent up some champagne for us, which we thought was very nice. We loved the location and enjoyed the trip. You can walk everywhere from this hotel and for my husband's birthday dinner, we went to St.Amour which is down the street and it was INCREDIBLE. The best service I have ever had and the food and presentation were excellent. We went on a horsedrawn carriage ride and a few museums and churches but mainly we enjoyed the food, the cafe, the croissants and just relaxing on the patios in the area. We had breakfast in the mornings at Le Clos and it was nice however our last morning, we went for breakfast across the street at Omelette and that was amazing. Old Quebec is right out of Europe (Yes, I have been!) and Le Clos St-Louis is the perfect, quaint place to stay.

Magnificent, Magical, Marvelous

I have had the pleasure of spending a total of ten nights at Le Clos Saint-Louis over the past four weeks. When you enter the hotel, you walk into another world, another time. Every aspect of the painstaking restoration is sublime. This is a gorgeous hotel where you will be treated like a valued guest and friend.

This hotel is for people who want to experience something unique. It's a gorgeous piece of architectural history where you get a glimpse of days gone by. Fascinating!

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LarryCalgary_Canada

Earlier this month my wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Le Clos Saint-Louis as guests of hostess Ghislaine. We also had the privilege of touring those rooms that were not occupied at the time. What a truly beautiful hotel! Ghislaine and husband Pierre have done a great job in restoring and decorating this wonderful old building. The attention to detail was very impressive, as was the service and hospitality provided by Ghislaine and staff. Quebec City is a great place to visit, and our stay at the Hotel Le Clos Saint-Louis made it even better.

Comments