126 rue St-Pierre, Quebec City, Quebec, G1K 4A8, Canada

Hotel Le Germain-Dominion
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

• yachtjudge's Profile Photo

Gorgeous Boutique Hotel

Stayed as guest of the Quebec Saint Malo race organisers.

Good continental breakfasts. Coffee - excellent quality - available 24 hours.

Competent and charming staff

Extraordinarily quiet and comfortable but set right on the heart of the Vieux Port.

Only drawback is lack of restaurant and no room service food. You have to go out to eat.
    Recommend.

Unique Quality: Beautiful decor

Directions: Vieux Port - set back one block from the main roads

• Style and Comfort

I have more extensive review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.com. I love this website for hotel information. I have chosen a couple of hotels that were rated 1 or 2 by the reviewers and I tell you that TA members don't disappoint.

The hotel is stylish, charming boutique hotel in old port area. It's a bit of a stroll away from the lower and upper towns but the walk is very nice as you're surrounded by charming old buildings on cobblestone streets. These buildings are so pretty, that it's hard to imagine that people live and work in there. They look like those Disneyland buildings, you know.

Anyway, I had a wonderful stay at Dominion 1912. The room was comfortable, shower was great, and they have free espresso bar. The hotel lounge is huge and very peaceful. The couches are so comfortable that it's hard to leave the hotel to explore the city. It also has a huge fireplace that I'm sure would be wonderful when the weather turns chilly.

The staff is very friendly and courteous. It was so nice to return to the hotel after a long day of sightseeing and feeling the warm glow in the lounge welcoming you. Also, the rooms have Bose radio, and you're greeted by soft music when you check in to you room. So relaxing...

Unique Quality: Great views! I booked the room directly on the hotel's website. I asked for the top floor if possible with view of the St. Lawrence river. While I got the top floor room (8th floor), the view was of the old town. I'm actually glad that I got that room instead. The view was amazing! I had the view of Chateau Frontenanc (a castle like hotel), of the bay with boats, and part of the upper Old Town.

Espresso bar! All you can drink espresso shots, cafe au lait, cappuccino... they do have decaf option too. The tea selection was excellent as well!

Complimentary continental breakfast - a wide array of choices (pastries, croissant, toast, rabbit pate, cheese, fruits, yogurt, etc.)

Being greeted by soft music coming from Bose radio when I entered the room.

While the queen size room has a glass shower stall instead of bathtub, I prefer the shower stall as it felt more open and it was spacious. The water pressure was nice. They provide Aveda bath products so no need to bring nice products from your home.

Directions: Old port area in the lower old town.

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo

In the Heart of Historic Old Port

We spent a relaxing two nights at Hotel Dominion 1912. Simon at the front desk was great - all the staff were helpful and courteous (and English-speaking).
    Our room was probably the smallest (king bed, shower only-no bathtub) but still decked out with a Bose radio quietly playing as we entered, soft lighting, extra-soft bedding, comfy chair with blankie, thick robes to use during our stay, complimentary high-speed Internet, espresso and cocoa in the lobby, and Aveda toiletries, just to name a few of the many amenities that set this place apart.

Unique Quality: Rooms either overlook the river or give you a glimpse of the Chateau Frontenac, so you can't lose with any location. At CAD$205 per night, the Dominion was a bargain compared with the Chateau. Set in historic Old Port, the hotel is just a few minutes walk to Petit Champlain and the waterfront. Place de la FAO, with its lovely fountain, was just below our window.

Continental breakfast included granola, yogurt, rabbit terrine, croissants, cheese, hard-cooked eggs, fruit, etc. The decor of the hotel is mission/contemporary - very stylish and yet comfortable. At night, you can relax with a cocktail or (free!) cocoa in front of the lobby's fireplace.

Directions: Old Port, corner of Rue Ste. Paul

• Stellaluna's Profile Photo

Pleasure in Vieux Quebec

My husband and I decided on a trip to Quebec City and did not have any reservations. We weren't even sure we would spend the night. We happened upon the Hotel Dominion 1912. We parked and my husband ran in to see if they had any rooms available. They did and thus begins our wonderful stay....

We received a lovely room with a king size bed. We had lots of trouble opening the door to the room, Hotel Dominion does not use electronic key passes. The room key was indeed a KEY. A member of the staff gave us a quick inservice on how exactly to open the door and all our future troubles were gone. A little twist and push was all it took and tada the door opened to a high ceiling room decorated in a decor a bit influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. This is a boutique Hotel meaning all the trimmings (linens, paintings, glassware, trinkets, etc.) can be purchased if you love what you see and feel. There is a nice "L'aimer, c'est l'acheter" booklet available for each guest.

The bathroom was very nice. No fancy detachable showerheads but it did have a bathtub and nice toiletries. The sink was made of molded green lucite (I think) and had a buried light in it that served as a night light. Just amazing!!

Valet parking is $14 Can and I was pleasantly surprised that the mini bar selections were quite reasonable. I love a room with a coffeemaker. In addition to the in room coffeemaker, the hotel boasts free coffees, tea and hot chocolate available at all times in the lobby.

A free "Continental" breakfast is included in the price of your room. This was not simply a Continental breakfast. Sweetbreads, pastries, jams, fresh fruit, yogurt with all the extras, rabbit and apple pate, eggs and juices were nicely arranged on a table. Guests could take their breakfast to the terrace to sit in a private area under umbrellas to read the morning newspapers and dine on this scrumptous breakfast.

Room rate was $205 Can. Well worth the price for such a terrific room.

Unique Quality: Most hotels have a card that is placed on the door handle for privacy. The Hotel Dominion has a better system whereby you press a button on the interior of the door which illuminates red or green in the hallway. A very nice signal for housekeeping.

At turn-down fine chocolates were delivered, the ice bucket was filled and water chilled with stylish blue glasses. Soft music was playing on a Bose stereo. To the left of the bed was a retractable wooden bedtray, with fresh fruits, and a card showing the expected temperature for the next day.

• Hotel Dominion 1912

In winter, which is low season, $150 for a room for two.

Unique Quality: To begin, the hotel is located in the lower part of Old Quebec, and seemed to be isolated from the huge groups of tourists and all the noise. It apparently was an old fruit and fish warehouse which was recently renovated. The rooms were pretty stylish- dramatic lighting (e.g. one bathroom light is located underneath the large clear green glass sink), huge fluffy pillows, wooden window sills. The service was great, parking is right behind the hotel.

More about Dominion 1912, Hotel

Dominion 1912

by TripAdvisor Member axle

I just got back from a 6 day visit to QC. I planned to spend all 6 nights at Dominion 1912 but decided to switch to the Chateau Frontenac for the last 2 nights in order to get a feel of both places. Dominion 1912 has some great reviews on this site but I don't agree. The rooms were very clean and quite nice but nothing like Chateau Frontenac. I booked a Jr. Suite at the CF and I was upgraded to a very large suite because my room was not ready upon arrival. I liked the area around the CF in Upper Town better than the Lower Town but LT is nice. The Dominion service was not what I expected. The staff did not seem to want to be of service but the folks at CF jumped at any chance to help. Both places are nice but I will stay at CF on the next return trip.

If a Boutique Hotel is what you want...

by TripAdvisor Member London-Phil

Then this is certainly one of the best. I stayed at the Dominion 1912 for four nights in July largly due to the comments found within tripadvisor. The hotel is a minimalist European "type" hotel which offers a high level of comfort and service for what is a very decent rate in comparison to London charges. I found most of the comments previously made about this hotel spot on, including the guest from Vancouver (July 04'), who had problems with percieved internal politicking regarding his accent and place of origin. Having spoken to many in Quebec City I found this dislike of other Canadians not to be unusual. Overall, apart from the hotel being slightly too far from the action for me, I am happy to recommend the Dominion 1912 to all who seek a boutique type expierence. Would I stay again? Proberbly, although the Chateau does look magnificent at night.

A great little hotel In Quebec City

Dominion 1912 was wonderful. Read the reviews on tripadvisor which prompted a call to the hotel for information. Marie Claire, who answered, was very helpful about the rooms, the location and things in to do with our children (15 & 17) while in Quebec City in July 2004. Excellent friendly staff and service. Very clean, unique rooms with great beds, custom furniture and quality linens. Bathrooms are not exactly large, but very functional with cool sinks and fixtures. Very stylish lobby with computer available for guests. A wonderful breakfast on the deck set the stage each day for a fantastic time in QC. Excellent location in the lower old city, though not in the middle of the tourist strip ( a plus for us). Ask for room overlooking the river if available. Highly recommend. I Look forward to another visit.

Wonderful Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member glsebs

We just returned from 3 nights at the Dominion...we had read all the great reviews on this website, and we are so glad we decided to stay there. The service was fantastic...they really went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect.
The room was large and the beds with their feather duvets and pillows were so comfortable. We loved being in the lower town...we felt like we were in Paris, with all the little bistros and sidewalk cafes.
I highly recommend this hotel!

Absolutely Fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member pulitzer

Stayed two nights at the Dominion after reading some of the reviews here. This hotel compares to some of the best places we have stayed at (including Four Seasons in Bali).
The service, attention to detail, ambience and location are all superb. The price - unbeatable.

B&B's or Boutique hotel recommendation

by hotsauce28

I'll be in Quebec city in mid April and wanted to know which area I should be looking at to stay in. I have no concept of how big the city is.

I've seen a few hotels near/in the walled city. Is this a good spot?

I'm looking for a nice area with good restaurants, boutiques, museums, etc and I'd prefer to walk.

Thanks!

by Pomerol

Very easy. Everything is walking distance within the walled city

I suggest you select the old port area where you will find a score of gorgeous boutique hotels.

Here is a few suggestions:

Hotel St-Antoine (voted best hotel in Canada with one of the best restaurants too)
Le Priori (probably best value for money)
Hotel Dominion
Hotel Port-Royal

For B&B's, look up Manoir d'Auteuil

Each hotel has a web site you can easily google and you should be able to find a good deal at that time of the year.

Look up my Quebec page if you're looking for restaurants

Have fun

by hotsauce28

This is perfect, thanks so much!!
I'll check out restaurants too.
=)

by Karlie85

I stayed at Le Priori on my honeymoon in 2007 and liked it. It's in the old part, nice area, lots of galleries on the street it's on. I have a tip on it if you want to read more details.

by hotsauce28

I'm booked and reserved! Le Priori and dinner at Saint Amour in the "greenhouse".
Can't wait.
Thanks guys!

by Karlie85

Enjoy!

by hotsauce28

Me again.. I had to postpone my trip and now I'm booked for May 8-10.
Le priori doesn't have rooms available but Fairmont Chateau le Frontenac is having a deal. Is that a good hotel to be in as far as location goes?
We were trying not to get a rental.

Thanks!

by Pomerol

Did you know that Le Chateau Frontenac is the most photographed hotel in the world? It is where royalties and heads of state stay. It overlooks the St Lawrence river and is of course in a perfect location. Here is a picture for you: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Chateau_Frontenac_cds.jpg
It is a beautiful hotel but more along the lines of splurging than romantic B&B's.

By the way, every hotel within the walled city is in a good location and you can walk everywhere.

All the other recommendations I gave you as far as restaurants still apply.

If you have other questions...

I should be around the week end of May 8-10 so let me know if you want to share a pint or two.

by hotsauce28

LOL! I actually had no idea that Chateau Frontenac was such a famous place! Since the original place I wanted was booked, I was looking online for deals and found CF for $129.00 per night. =)

I'll be there for sure this w/e!

Comments