3145 Avenues Des Hotels, Quebec City, Quebec, G1W 3Z7, Canada
Booking.com HIExpress.com Hotels.com

Costs 41% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Quebec

Tow tubes upTow tubes up

Early evening qualifying heat.Early evening qualifying heat.

The tour boat Louis JollietThe tour boat Louis Jolliet

Old QuebecOld Quebec

winter weather

by tayloretc

So I really want to go stay in Quebec Ville for a few months, and the only time it seems possible is from November to, say, March. I've seen the weather tables and understand it'll be colder than I'm used to, but is it usually dark and grey cold, or clear and blue cold? I'd love to get back into winter sports, but after Cape Cod last year, the thought of another dark and grey winter makes me very sad.

Thanks for your input!

by johngayton

Quebec city can be quite spectacular in the winter when the sun's out with everything covered in snow but it can also be dull and damp especially early winter. But no matter the weather the city itself is warm and lively and the Carnaval is worth being there for if you can get accommodation. There's a selection of winter pics on my Quebec page - start with this one: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/424051/

by GrumpyDiver

In Quebec City, you are not in the maritime climate that you would get in Cape Cod, so the typical gray skies are not necessarily what you will get all the time, as I have been there a number of time in the winter with clear and blue skies (but it tends to be cold on days like that).

Be prepared for lots of snow - average annual snowfall is around 14 ft, but they are prepared for it and unless you are getting hit by a major snowstorm, the streets and sidewalks are cleared quite quickly.

Also be prepared for extremely cold days (early mornings tend to be worst), where temperatures are well below zero degrees F. I find December can be a bit depressing as it does get dark quite early, but the days start getting noticably longer

Those are the downside - enjoy the Winter Carnival and the fantastic food. I can quite honestly say, I have always has good meals in Quebec City.

by RACCOON1

From Nov to March Quebec City weather is similar to Maine, northern Vermont and New Hsmpshire except there should be more snow. When the rain comes or the winter thaw comes to Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire and washes out the snow Quebec City seems to he meltdown but expect ice. It is not Cape Cod.

by tayloretc

Thanks guys – I’ve heard such good things about the city I’ve been really looking forward to spending a few months there – but it is a relief to know there are some clear days. Cold I can deal with (I think)(maybe). I haven’t seen a proper snowfall in years, so that will be fun!

Travel Tips for Quebec

Colours

by solopes

Maybe because we arrived under a bright sun, the first and strongest impression about Quebec was... colours.

Either with awnings, building details, street animation or even paintings, colours where shining everywhere, contrasting with the grey base of the rocky facades.

Spend time in the city AND in the countryside

by Radiomom

We loved Montreal, with it's shopping and restaurants. The kids enjoyed clubbing (and things were close enough we didn't worry about them having enough cab fare to get home.) Is this truly fond? I broke my wrist ice skating the first full day in Montreal. I was treated like royalty at the hospital (probably because as a US citizen, I was paying in cash). I think I saved the insurance company by it happening there. Hey, could have been the parking lot at the grocery store here at home, couldn't it? I at least broke my wrist en Francais! Pictured -- the scene of the tragedy. It really is a gorgeous city. And I must say the people are terrific.

Terrasse Dufferin

by vaara

This kilometer-long boardwalk connects the Château Frontenac with the belvedere at the top of the Citadelle (Plains of Abraham), and provides commanding views of the St.-Laurent River. The trip to the top involves climbing 510 wooden stairs, but there are plenty of bench-equipped resting spots along the way.

Poutine

by HORSCHECK

A poutine is a Quebec-invented meal and up to now it is only available in the province of Quebec. It is made out of warm french fries mixed together with cheese curds and melted with a hot brown gravy (see photo). I was surprised that both Mc Donalds and Burger King offer Poutine in Quebec.

French Dictionary

by HORSCHECK

Quebec City is a french-canadian town, therefore french is widely spoken. In the tourist area english is well known, but a French Dictionary can be very helpful. It is always useful to be able to speak some phrases in the local language.

Comments