L'Esterel Resort & Convention Centre

Bd. Fridolin-Simard, , Quebec, J0T 1L0, Canada

More about Quebec

These guys greet you looking for a carrot.These guys greet you looking for a carrot.

Marche du Vieux PortMarche du Vieux Port

Guns lined up on the parapetGuns lined up on the parapet

City View Looking Down La CouronneCity View Looking Down La Couronne

old Quebec City

HiEveryone:

I am planning on spending a few days in Quebec City and am overwhelmed with the amount of places to stay. Is it imperative to stay within the walls or is it just as easy to stay outside. Looking for someplace quaint but clean.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Maureen

by Pomerol

Hi Maureen,

Staying inside the walls makes it easier for sightseeing and also allows you to ditch the car as finding a parking spot can be difficult. The best places are also inside the walls although you can also do well outside.

You don't state when you're planning on visiting (book ahead as the City is celebrating its 400th anniversary and the hotels are getting filled up and you don't mention a budget but two quaint and clean options are:

Manoir d'Auteuil: www.manoirdauteuil.com/

Le Priori: www.hotellepriori.com/

The first one is owned by a charming American couple.

If these suggestions don't fit your budget, let me know and I'll come up with something else.

You can check my home page for restaurants to hit when in Quebec City: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/cc6d9/dcf94/

Have fun.

by mcwhiting

Thank you for your quick response. I am lanning on going June 6,7,8 2008. I did start looking and alot of places were all ready full so the 400th anniversary explains that. I will try the 2 places you recommended. I am coming from just across the border in NY state at Champlain. How long does it take from the border to get there? Thanks so much Maureen

by Pomerol

From the border (Champlain), it is a short 3 hour-drive. Make sure you take the by pass (30) to avoid Montreal.

If you're having trouble finding a room let me know but early June should be Ok.

I'm sure you'll have fun.

Thanks for the info.

Last time I was in Montreal was last Feb at a canadiens hockey game. I still find driving in Montreal a little challenging so it is nice to know I can go around it.

I am traveling with a friend and it is nice we get to split the cost but was hoping to find someplace around 150.00/per night. I am waiting to hear back from Manor dauteuil. Hotel lePrior just a little to pricey.
I have no problems with walking but my friend is older and difficult at times, so if we can stay inside the walls that would be great.

Are there tours of the city we can take so we get to see as much as we can?

I am hoping by June no snow????? But I live only 2 hours from the border so I am always prepared.

Thanks Maureen

by babygrand

The taxis are pretty good there. Usually French-speaking, but if you can manage a little, they'll try back and it can be kind of fun. A whole carload of us picked up a taxi one night, and we kept asking the driver where we were, and what's that. Between two of us with a bit of French, and the very friendly taxi driver's little English, we got a "quickie" tour, complete with a few very jolly laughs.

Travel Tips for Quebec

when to go to Quebec and other special events

by Scotsgal

WHEN TO COME TO QUEBEC!!!

During summer, the temperature in Québec City fluctuates between 10°C (50°F) and 30°C (86°F). Winter temperatures average between -25°C (-13°F) and -5°C (23°F), which obviously calls for some major rugging-up if you're venturing outside. Rainfall is highest over summer; if you can't figure out when snowfalls are at their greatest, you shouldn't be travelling.

EVENTS!
The coming of spring is heralded in March with the Festival de la Neige, which is basically an excuse to resume drinking after the Winter Carnival hangover has subsided. The Fête Nationale de la St Jean Baptiste continues well into the night of 23 June, making the most of the fact that 24 June has been declared a public holiday in honour of the saint. More seasonal celebrations take place in the first few weeks of June with the numerous free concerts and theatrical performances of the Summer Festival. At the end of July is Les Grands Feux Loto-Québec, a fireworks spectacular, while August sees the five-day, biennial Medieval Festival (it takes place in odd-numbered years) and the large-scale, self-promoting Québec City Provincial Exhibition (Expo Québec).

Le rocher de la ville de...

by CaroOoo

Le rocher de la ville de Grand'Mère, ville située en Mauricie.
La légende raconte que la ville doit son nom à ce fameux rocher.
Vous avez remarqué le profil d'une vielle dame taillé dans cette grosse pierre ?

Poutine?

by Kushelkitten

Through our trip to the provences of Quebec and New Brunswick we would stop at a restaurant and see the mysterious word "Poutine" on the menu.
Finally I was brave enough to ask, "What the heck IS Poutine" and a kind waiter explained it to me. Poutine is uniquely French Canadian and is French fries with cottage cheese and gravy.
What? Yep French fries with cottage cheese and gravy. Research since has told me that its curded Gouda cheese.
Surprisingly it isnt bad. What is a trip without sampling local culture right?

Victoria?

by Deus_ultima

In Quebec, people DO NOT CELEBRATE VICTORIA DAY! And honestly, last time a royal came here..they we're so spooked, they never came back and probably never will.

Victoria day is then replaced by : Dollard-des-Ormeaux Day. A crook to some, hero to others! Adam Dollard, Sieur Des Ormeaux is told to have saved 'La Nouvelle-France'!!

Quebec City's most popular outdoor ice rink

by Jefie

Every year in December, Place d'Youville transforms itself into the city's most famous outdoor ice rink. The rink is not that big, but it is conveniently located in the Vieux Quebec area, just outside of the St-Jean gates, which makes it a beautiful place to skate. Music plays day and night (though not as loud at night, of course!) and you can rent a pair of skates at a nearby stand. Of course it can get pretty crowded during weekends so it's not the kind of place where you can go play hockey or skate at full speed! The rink is refrigerated, so even if we happen to be having a really warm winter (which often seems to be the case lately), the rink will still be open. Oh and access to the rink is free, so if you've never tried ice skating before, let this be the place to try it - it might turn out to be one of the highlights of your trip to Quebec City! You can bring your own skates or rent them.

Comments