La Caravelle

68 1/2 rue Saint-Louis, Quebec City, Quebec, G1R 3Z3, Canada

Satisfaction Terrible

• tiabunna's Profile Photo

Auberge la Caravelle

As we travelled from Montréal, I worried about our accommodation: my previous online booking was not a success, how would this one go? Nagging at me were some critical comments I’d seen on accommodation websites, mainly on the lines that “some things were not explained to us” or “the room was too small”, or ”we had to walk up the stairs”.

When our taxi delivered us at the Caravelle in the rue St Louis, within the old city, it certainly looked “the goods”. So we headed up the stairs to the first floor office, where a pleasant lady gave us the longest explanatory briefing I have ever received at any hotel. They’d obviously responded to the reviews! Check-in is not until 1600, but we arrived from the train in the morning and were able to leave our bags in our room which still was being made up.

Our room was on the third floor (fourth if you’re from the USA), there was indeed no lift and the room wasn’t large. But by European standards (hey, this is an old building in a city with a European flavour after all) it was perfectly adequate and it had an entirely satisfactory ensuite. It also was spotless, serviced daily, relatively inexpensive, and did I mention that it was ideally located in the old city? While I think of it, there is no breakfast, but the hotel provided discount vouchers for breakfast at an eatery a few streets away.

So I need not have been concerned, the Caravelle was exactly what I had hoped for and we had a very comfortable stay. To the ultimate test, would we use it again? A definite yes. Finally, I am bemused that, while preparing this tip I tried to visit the hotel’s website http://www.lacaravellequebec.com - but it now leads to the Hotel Louisbourg!

Main and second photo: La Caravelle (green awnings) in rue St Louis
    Third, fourth photos: Our room
    Fifth photo: View of the Frontenac from our window.

Unique Quality: You'd be hard pressed to beat the location!

Directions: Inside the old city walls, heading toward the city centre.

Comments