115 Rue Sainte-Anne, Quebec City, G1R 3X6, Canada

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Superb Luxurious Hotel at Bargain Price

Blissful quiet. Desk personnel always friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful -- it's as each one were a concierge with expert advice on sites, bus routes, and inside information about the city. Their attitude was "This is our house, and you are our guest; we want you to be very contented. Lovely four-poster brass bed, very wide. Immaculate cleanliness. Superb location in Upper Old Town, near almost all sights. Free internet computer in lobby. Breakfast (not so nice as European ones, but far better than United States "stale doughnut and brown water trying to be coffee" ones.

Unique Quality: Location, quiet, friendly helpful staff. Superb value.

Directions: Upper Old Town

More about Le Champlain Hotel

Loved Hotel Champlain

by TripAdvisor Member circle-of-light

I really enjoyed my stay the staff was professional and the owners of the hotel were helpfull and really directed us to places we would not have found if they had not gone out of their way to help us. Michelle was available to us and even went out of her way to find me a resturant in New York that I could find one of my favorite Quebec dishes. I would absolutely go back to this hotel again. Thank you all for the great experiences. The Spa that they recommended was also a place to make sure that if you get a chance to visit will be worth the trip. Sincerly,Rose

Charming boutique hotel in the Heart of Old Quebec

by TripAdvisor Member TravelguyBoston

I recently returned from a trip to Quebec City, one fo the most charming and romantic places in North America. The Hotel Champlain is the perfect place to stay, not only because it is located just steps from most of the sights you want to see, restaurants you want to dine at; but truly provides a superlative experience. From the moment I checked in, the staff could not be more helpful in quickly getting me to my room; but also giving all sorts of insider advice to make a stay in Quebec City memorable. The hotel is small, with a European designer flair to the public spaces and rooms. The rooms are of good size, contemporary in their feel...and all have views...on one side the view is of the city where one can hear the gentle sounds of the caleches, horse draw carriages, that make one feel they are in a more gentle century; the other side of the hotel looks out on a famous castle, and nunnery. The continental breakfast, included in my room rate, was more then ample offerring fresh coissants, breads, eggs, cereals,cheese, yougurt, a local speciality of the region... and of course coffee and juice. A real treat is that all guests have access in the hotel's public space to a fantastic machine that made expressos and cappacinnos as if coming direct from a cafe. Hotel Champalin is a treasure, and I hope to be able to return for the 'joie de vivre' in Quebec City soon.

What's not to love

by TripAdvisor Member kdb1

My mother, two sons, ages 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 just spent a very magical time at the Hotel Champlain on St. Anne in Quebec. The hotel was very easy to find from the Quebec Bridge (almost a straight shot). The hotel has some parking but reservations need to be made in advance. Upon our arrival we were met with a nice smile and were quite impressed with the decor. Being recently renovated, the hotel was in wonderful shape. My 1 1/2 yr. old didn't quite understand the clear acrylic chairs and kept touching them, trying to figure them out. The lobby has a cappuccino maker which is available 24 hours. We loved making frothy hot chocolate from the machine. The employees are very well versed on what to see in the area and had wonderful suggestions for restaurants. Carrie and Steven were especially helpful and were terrific with the boys.They even made a reservation for a horse carriage ride for us. Robert, our carriage driver, gave us a wonderful historic tour of the city. The room was incredible. It was very spacious and such a nice change from the small cramped hotel we were in the night before. We booked a suite which had two beds facing each other, with a lovely silk curtain as a room divider. They supplied us with a large crib, which actually fit nicely in the big walk in closet, giving my youngest the peace and dark he needed for naps (we of course left the door open a bit). The living room had a big TV with cable that had PBS in English. The room was just beautiful, overlooking a parklike setting. It was so quiet and peaceful! The fireplace was activated by remote control and quickly warmed the room when a cool storm front came through. The beds were very comfortable! Breakfast was in a little room off the lobby and consisted of hard boiled eggs, pate, cheese, toast, bagels, yogurt, cereal, bread pudding, juice, tea and coffee. We never left the morning hungry. The rooms have wireless internet access but I left my laptop at home making it a real vacation. I did end up using their laptop in the lobby. We visited a large, well known hotel down the street and it made me so thankful that we were staying at the Hotel Champlain because it was away from so much hustle and bustle. Old Quebec was so quaint and we were able to walk everywhere from the hotel. There is also a little playground just one block from the hotel, which was a life saver. I travel quite a bit and I have to say that our stay at this hotel was one of the best stays I have ever had, anywhere. Looking back at the pictures of the hotel from their website, I now see that picture with the Hotel Frontenac in the distance is a view from the hotel, not the hotel itself. This confused us a bit when we first arrived at the hotel.

Excellent place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member ynny

This hotel was much more than we expected. Excellent location in the heart of old Quebec, makes you feel like you took a trip back in time. Room was clean and comfortable, had jacuzzi and fireplace and a nice view of old Quebec. Hotel staff was very pleasant and available at all times. This hotel is an excellent value for the money and defiantly worth it. Breakfast was supper, I couldn’t imagine anything else for continental breakfast.
I would recommend this hotel and defiantly would stay here on my next trip to Quebec

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member jeffmck

First let me say that we use Trip Advisor quite a bit and it has never let us down! A great resource. Very happy with the Champlain. Great location -- in the old city and easy walking distance to everything. Staff was great. Hotel and room were very clean. Booked a junior suite -- quite spacious. Breakfast is continental but quite a full continental. One nice surprise was the cappacino machine in the lobby! Parking is limited so make sure you reserve a parking spot when you book.

Highly recommended!

by TripAdvisor Member eeyora

Though the exterior of the hotel is worrying at first look, we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel. The lobby and the rooms were recently renovated when we stayed there.

The lobby was comfortable, elegant and clean as was the room we stayed at (cheapest one, too). The staff was also very helpful--providing us suggestions for dinner close by that night, as it was raining.

The complimentary breakfast was great as well with choices like croissant, cereal, liver pate, toast, orange juice, yogurt, coffee, cappucino.

The only downside was the unstable wireless internet connection.

All-in-all, a great place to stay at a great price!

Avoid it at any price !!!

by TripAdvisor Member phiphou

Unfortunately, we spent 3 nights at this horrible hotel. The only pro: the location. Central old Quebec.

Now, the cons:
- be ready to hang out your cash or credit card an pay for the full stay as soon as you've put a foot in the smallish lobby: the unsmiling person at the desk will ask for it just after giving information about the hotel. Very unpleasant.
- because of the liliputhian breakfast room, you're asked to tell wether you choose the 7-9 session or the 9.15-10.15. YES SIR YES ! poor food and juice by the way. Fully booked by 9 AM. Awful
- small parking...uneasy to enter !
- if you're on the first floor on the street side, refrain your partner from stripping, pedestrians will have a full view as rooms have no curtain (except for night, which is is unadequate if you like daylight...)
- air conditioning: completely outdated and exhausted (20-30 years ??)
- very bad value for money: 240 CAD (excl tax) is clearly too expensive for such a room. Many hotels are 4* for this price. The definitely does not worh the 3 stars but barely a 2*.

Clear enough ?

Pluses and Minuses

by TripAdvisor Member donnaf651

Small breakfast buffet was adequate, but not as nice as I'd expected from other reviews. Staff was pleasant. Cool sink in the bathroom, but dismal decor in the room, even though I think it was new. Nice view of Ursuline monastery grounds from our room. Nice coffee maker in the lobby, but decaf was out for the 2 days we were there, and the basket of tea bags made only one brief appearance. Petty rules: pay for whole stay when you check in; breakfast buffet closed from 9 -9:15 for replacement (why not replace items as needed during entire buffet?); only one key given, unless you pay a $10 refundable deposit for a second one. Bathroom floor could have been cleaned better. Would not stay here again.

Great location - good value

by TripAdvisor Member Dorothy-Jane

Lovely room, right in the heart of Vieux Quebec. Helpful staff, nice decor, impeccably clean. Watch the horse-drawn carriages clip-clop by, from your window. And yes, the fishbowl bathroom sink is great fun for the kids.

Two things you need to know: the parking lot is small. It was full when we were there, but there was an inexpensive city lot nearby.

The breakfast room is small and CROWDED...book for the early sitting.

All in all, great value for the money.

Comments