4899 Harbour Landing Dr, Regina, S4W 0B7, Canada
DaysInn.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Regina

Legislative building from across Wascana LakeLegislative building from across Wascana Lake

A wary Willet keeps an eye on usA wary Willet keeps an eye on us

Young calves restingYoung calves resting

Rear view of caboose, coach, tender & engineRear view of caboose, coach, tender & engine

Travel Tips for Regina

‘Hop on – hop off’ during a bike tour

by vtveen

Although not very common in Canada, we made a bike tour through the city of Regina during our last autumn visit. To be honest it was a great adventure cycling along the meandering Wascana River and around a part of Wascana Lake.

You could use ‘your’ bike on a hop-on hop-off bike tour trough the city:
Start at the Government House (Dewdney Avenue) > RCMP Heritage Centre > access to the bike path along the Wascana River to Wascana Lake > Saskatchewan War Memorial > Legislative Building > Royal Saskatchewan Museum > MacKenzie Art Gallery.

This bike trip will take about 1 till 1 1/2 hours. We could borrow our bikes from relatives, but as far as I know it is possible to rent bikes in Regina: www.blocksbikes.com

It's not the law in Regina to wear a bicycle helmet but it could prevent injury or even save your life.

Just enjoy St. Nicholas Church

by vtveen

This little wooden church is situated in the Qu'Apelle Valley, east of Craven nearby Lumsden. Take road '99' from Craven and you can not miss this lovely church.

Stroll around and look at the old tombstones and off course take a look inside this simple wooden church. This is the oldest remaining church of Saskatchewan.

But most of all: enjoy the quietness of this spot.

Directions
From Regina tahe Highway 11 to Lumsden, turn off and take highway 20 to the north, in Craven highway 99 to the east and after a couple of km's you will see the church on your right hand side on the other side of the valley.

My world food-tour continues!

by Bwana_Brown about Lee's Chop Suey East

Even though it was a relatively mild -10 C (with a -17 C windchill factor) day in Regina, I decided to have a Chinese take-out meal with a bit of 'kick' in it to help heat me up! In driving up and down Victoria Avenue from my apartment to the major shopping area over the past few weeks, I had noticed a Lee's Chop Suey restaurant (one of three in Regina) not far from where I was living. Since I was driving to Alberta the next day for a two-week family vacation over Christmas, I had eaten my own cupboards down to a bare minimum of supplies at this stage.

Inside the restaurant, the ornate dining area (2nd photo) was almost deserted but for a single family of four eating in a distant corner of the room. The staff were fast and friendly as I placed my Take-Out order, which was produced in about 10 minutes. They also gave me a menu selection to take with me in case I ever wanted to phone-in an order for delivery. I settled on one of their spicy dishes called 'Kung Boa Guy Ding' ($9) which turns out to be Szechuan Chicken by any other name. It contains small portions of chicken mixed in with carrots, onions, celery and a spicy Szechuan sauce that was just right (medium) for me as shown in the 3rd photo. I also ordered a quite tasty Egg Roll that came with Plum Sauce ($1) and a container of steamed rice ($1) to accompany my glass (once I returned home) of Cabernet-Merlot bottled by the Canadian winery Peller Estates. The food shown on my plate is a bit less than half the amount the restaurant handed over to me, for a grand total of less than C$11 - I think they forgot to add the rice onto the bill. The food was excellent.

Royal Visit

by Bwana_Brown

If your timing is right, you might just have the chance to see visiting British Royalty while you are staying in Regina. In our case, it happened that Prince Charles was on a cross-Canada trip (Ottawa, Reginia and Yukon Territory) to stress the values of volunteerism and to help cement the 'royal' bond between Canada and the UK. Of course this was during the devastating outbreak of foot and mouth disease in the UK, so the Prince had to first wipe his feet on a disinfectant matt when arriving in Canada!

Here, we were standing on a city street bridge, near the Legislative Building, spanning the stream that flows out of Lake Wascana. Located around the Lake and along the sides of this stream are very nice walking trails which pass through pleasant parklands. While in the city, get your feet moving and enjoy some to the city's nature delights up-close!

Wascana Centre

by Jefie

Wascana Centre is a 930 hectare urban park, surrounding a 120 hectare lake located in the heart of Regina. It's a great place to go if you want to kick back with a book for a couple hours, have a picnic, or go for a walk or rollerskate around the lake.

Comments